Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Jun 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #932 of 6,413
Quote:

I'm glad you like it. The EQ presets Apple implemented after iOS 4 don't really boost anything, but they lower the other frequencies. Treble Boost works by lowering the mids and bass, making the treble sound louder in comparison...bastards.

Out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with implementing EQ in this way? I'd imagine it'd result in less upper frequency distortion because technically nothing's being boosted. More power is needed from the amp, but the ASG1s are very sensitive anyway so it doesn't seem like a significant drawback.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #933 of 6,413
Quote:

Out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with implementing EQ in this way? I'd imagine it'd result in less upper frequency distortion because technically nothing's being boosted. More power is needed from the amp, but the ASG1s are very sensitive anyway so it doesn't seem like a significant drawback.

None, really. Good point.

Trying it out now, and I think I prefer it more than my own settings. There's less distortion, just like you mentioned. I just have to turn up the volume an extra notch or two. 

Thanks.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #934 of 6,413
I don't know how long they are gonna take, but just put in payment for a set of AS-1's so I can finally do a proper comparison for you guys.....and because i kinda wanted them...I'm very excited. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #935 of 6,413
1.2's today. Not making any comparisons till around 150 hours in this time (since things happened last time around that time).

For now, just know a few things:
-they are much smoother in the midrange.
-vocals have become much less sweet and more lush.
-bass presence is much better
-bass digs a little deeper
-highs have better presence, but loss of sparkle (will they come back with time?)

Sent from an iPod touch with TapaTalk... Autocorrect may alter the meaning of this message :p

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #937 of 6,413
Reserved a pair of Toxic Cables which should be in in about 3 weeks. Went for silver plated copper Vipers, since they can be done with translucent black coating, which should help mask tarnishing. 

Will update the thread with sonic observations once they have some hours on them. The main thing I'm hoping is that they help liven up the treble, to where if I'm using the ASG-1.2's with a source where it's impossible to tick up the treble a notch or two things will still sound reasonably detailed on the top end. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #938 of 6,413
Quote:
Better than before?

And is sparkle actually a natural/good thing? i've always questioned that, as i have yet to go to a concert and think "ooohh sparkly"

I wouldn't say better, they are on the same level.  The loss of focus on the higher vocals does make the headphones lose some edge and uniqueness, but it does help with the other areas.  Sparkle/splash is actually a good thing as it allows more detail to be shown in the high end. At the same time, some people prefer the roll off (less fatiguing sound).  You still want some extension into the high end though. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #939 of 6,413
i just realized i wasn't putting them into my ears deep enough (they weren't pressing back into the dugout of my ear if that makes sense) and now they sit all the way in and it feels weird lol. I guess it takes some time to get used to.

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #940 of 6,413
Look who met today:

Now some informal A/B impressions:
Bass --- great job on the 1.2 with its clean punchy detailed deep bass! Would really want to hear the MDR7550 again if there's any chance for comparison. If I want to get the same bass on my v1de, I have to tone down the bass on my Fuze to ~-4dB.
Mids --- from v1 to v1.2, the shoutiness has been subdued already [clap clap]! There's just only a tiny bit left of it when I listened to my test tracks: Lyle Lovett's I Know You Know (...and His Big Band) and Jane Siberry's It Can't Rain All The Time (The Crow OST). It sounds cleaner compared to my v1de but I would think they are almost the same except for the shoutiness that the v1de has completely addressed. v1.2 I think sounds more airier than the v1de.
Highs --- Now, I sort of expected this but the with v1.2 sporting a 'mechanical filter', the highs are a bit more subdued compared to my v1de. But then again, EQ will help greatly on this account.
Volume --- Again, with the 'mechanical filter' on the v1.2 - it was expected that I needed to crank the volume to get to the v1de's level.
Overall? Great job to Aurisonics
cool.gif

Special thanks applehead for the time and experience. Getting a Fuze soon?
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #942 of 6,413
That black cable looks like the Moon Audio Silver Dragon to me, judging by that long strain relief (I owned them a while back).

dogears- Sounds like you hear the 1.2's just like I do, but I never had the orig. version to compare with....

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #944 of 6,413
Quote:
^that's correct on the cables. Cool, you have the t50rp2 also
biggrin.gif

Yes, love those headphones! IEM's have not been getting used much at all during my work days since I picked up the RP2's, until now that I've received the ASG-1.2's. Having found the best sounding tip for my ears, and ticked up the upper-most treble band a couple notches, the sound is starting to somewhat mimic the character of that from the RP2 headphones... Good stuff indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back