Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Nov 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #1,876 of 6,413
Who was it?

Tell him you want your money back or you will put him on blast all around Head-Fi. No sense keeping them; if he's scamming you, they might be damaged or defective or something that could bite you in the ass down the road. Then again they might be just fine; if they sound good, might as well just upgrade them and give the guy a ****ty review.

How much did you pay?
Quote:
There is no filter... Just realized I've been ripped off lol. Thread said ASG 1.2 now I realized he sold me the ASG 1. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,877 of 6,413
The ad never said it was ASG-1.2's but the pictures were not of what were being sold. That's just as bad though
Quote:
Who was it?

Tell him you want your money back or you will put him on blast all around Head-Fi. No sense keeping them; if he's scamming you, they might be damaged or defective or something that could bite you in the ass down the road. Then again they might be just fine; if they sound good, might as well just upgrade them and give the guy a ****ty review.

How much did you pay?

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #1,878 of 6,413
Quote:
Who was it?

How much did you pay?

It was eclipes.

Hes a nice guy with around 40 positive feedback and I already PM'ed him and he said he bought it from someone else not knowing it was the ASG 1... So the both of us were that naive. I dont think he will give me a full refund and said he will upgrade it to an ASG 1.2 instead... Although I prefer a refund so I can just strive for the T-Peos H-100 I might stick with the ASG 1.2 but have had a hard time EQ'ing them... And they sort of hurt my ears too. Or I could just wait for the GR08.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,879 of 6,413
ASG-1.2's apparently EQ differently than the ASG-1's.
Quote:
It was eclipes.

Hes a nice guy with around 40 positive feedback and I already PM'ed him and he said he bought it from someone else not knowing it was the ASG 1... So the both of us were that naive. I dont think he will give me a full refund and said he will upgrade it to an ASG 1.2 instead... Although I prefer a refund so I can just strive for the T-Peos H-100 I might stick with the ASG 1.2 but have had a hard time EQ'ing them... And they sort of hurt my ears too. Or I could just wait for the GR08.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,881 of 6,413
Quote:
It was eclipes.

In that case, you have the original ASG-1 which explains the problems you were having in the mids. TRUST me, you want them upgraded to the 1.2 version.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #1,883 of 6,413
Update: REVISION 1.2  (May 17, 2012)
 ​

As I stated earlier, the ASG-1 was originally targeted at the professional crowd who needed to hear vocals and mid-range oriented instruments above all else. Unfortunately, this midrange emphasis, combined with the materials used to build the shell, created a shouty effect that made some music downright unpleasant to listen to. On top of that, the severe mid emphasis literally colored the rest of the sound, something that is usually attributed to large bass emphasis.

So, to address this, Dale (CEO of Aurisonics) created a nozzle filter and driver dampening material that would smooth out the peakiness in the midrange, and lessen the echo of the shell. He also increased the size of the internal port.  Below is the end result:

578327_434304689919641_209300975753348_1851227_237552496_n.jpg

As you can see, the peaks at ~2 kHz and 4.5 kHz have been vanquished, the bass response has increased (more on that later), and the treble is flatter down the range.

Sound

The whole point of the ASG-1 was to address the "faults" of the original version. I am happy to say that every issue I described has been resolved. However, one problem has arisen.

I'll start off with the most glaring fault of this revision of the ASG-1. The treble.

It's refined, it's richly defined with timbre as good, or better, than the GR07 (yeah, I know). The problem is that there's barely any of it. This leads to an overall darker sound that I feel HAS to be EQ'ed to restore some balance to the sound. When I do EQ it, it's the best earphone I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Below is the EQ is use on the Equalizer app for iPhone. As a matter of fact, it's just the "Treble Booster" preset. Though, this is my favorite EQ setting: +2.0 dB. 5000 Hz : +2.0 dB. 8000 Hz : +2.0 dB. 12000 Hz : +5.0 dB 16000 Hz : +5.5 dB.

My initial intent for this review was to continue the comparison with the Vsonic GR07, but there's really no point in going into detail. I've never heard my GR07 so utterly outclassed. The attributes that I could usually use to stand on a leg and defend the GR07 are simply done better by the ASG-1.2. 

The most striking thing to me was the difference in POWER  that the ASG-1.2 has over the GR07. I'm not just talking about bass response, but just in the overall sound is exuded by the ASG-1. It's really quite stunning, and makes my GR07 sound positively anemic in comparison.

The next aspect is the soundstage. I went from not hearing any discernable difference between the two, to it being a different story altogether. The greatest part about the ASG-1's presentation is the height of the soundstage. It's an involving, engaging experience that makes me not want to put it down. It's completely 3D, being able to throw cues in ANY direction.

The best part component of the ASG-1's sound, and the nail in the GR07's coffin, is the midrange. Now that the beast has been reigned in, it's become a magnificent animal that is capable of both power, and delicacy. I had maybe my third "wow" hi-fi moment when listening to John Mayer's "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room," and Taylor Swift's "Never Grow Up," and also her "Last Kiss" (I make no apologies for my music tastes, they are very diverse). Going back to my GR07 was just...underwhelming.

I had trouble recommending the version 1.0 of the Aurisonics ASG-1 due to it's problems. Would I version 1.2 over my previous favorite, the GR07, despite the diminished treble presence? A resounding yes. Reason being, you can EQ up the treble, but you can't add power and soundstage to an IEM.

In short, ASG-1.2 = AWESOME!!!

Update:

I was just going through the songs on my girlfriend's iTunes to see which ones I could pilfer. I don't listen to Beyonce much, but her song "love on top" sounds amazing on the ASG-1. This is the best I've heard her sound on anything. Just goes to show how great the ASG-1 is with vocals. This carries over to genres like rap, the good kind, not the trash that dominates today. I can hear the dynamics and emotions as the rappers spit their rhymes. Everyone should hear The Roots' "Undun" album, especially on the ASG-1.

Then, I was reading a_recording's review of the EX1000 and XBA-4 when I saw the bass test. The ASG-1 easily rumbles at 10hz and below. Plus, the texturing is far and away the best I've heard.

Whether it's burn-in or brain-in. I no longer feel the need to touch my EQ any more. I will say that the ASG-1 loves power. It sounds even better when amped, not for volume purposes, but to better control the massive driver.

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,887 of 6,413
I tried the aforementioned treble boost and that helped considerably. The bass on these is superb! They were perfect for my weightlifting session earlier. 

I still need to hear the 3.Ai though to make sure I made the right choice.

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #1,888 of 6,413
Quote:
Do these open up much after burn in? Out of the box my 1.2 sound rather congested.

+1 to tinyman's response. they do open up a bit, but the "congestion" you're hearing is likely the mid-forward character of the ASG-1.2. The IEMs will open up, but with frequent listening you will get accustomed to the signature as well. It really takes some getting used to, but its a world of difference from the prior mid-heavy iteration - that was just downright brutal. 

I take it running (among other things), and its got enough low end to help me keep pounding the concrete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back