Fast, bright headphones with exceptional instrument separation for ~$100?
Jun 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #31 of 62
Quote:
Imo looking for bass-light, mid/trebble emphases, and open can. I have a neutral iem in the sm es18. I'm looking specifically ff something with better instrument separation, and headphones that emphasize string instruments.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

The Audio Technica ATH-AD700's are everything you described except for the instrument separation, and as I already explained, you're simply not going to get exceptional separation and speed out of circumaural, open cans. Open cans by nature add soundstage and you're adding more soundstage by moving the drivers away from the ears with a circumaural design. Adding soundstage lessens instrument separation. It's a natural consequence of circumaural designs.

If you absolutely insist upon circumaural, then accept the fact you're not going to find an exceptionally fast open can with a lot of separation which is also circumaural.

At this point I think it comes down to sound or comfort for you. If you really want the exact sound you're describing get some Grados. You're describing the sound of Grados to a "T," and only Grados sound like Grados. If the comfort is more important to you, the ATH-AD700s are, again, everything you described aside from the instrument separation.

And I know I recommended you the K240's instead before, but that was before you said you wanted bass-light cans. The ATH-AD700's are perfect if that's what you want.

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #34 of 62
Quote:
Adding soundstage lessens instrument separation. It's a natural consequence of circumaural designs.If you absolutely insist upon circumaural, then accept the fact you're not going to find an exceptionally fast open can with a lot of separation which is also circumaural.

-Yea....no.  This is like saying the sky isn't blue on a nice sunny cloudless day and expecting someone to take you seriously.  

At this point I think it comes down to sound or comfort for you. If you really want the exact sound you're describing get some Grados. You're describing the sound of Grados to a "T,"

-Right, because Grado is so known for amazing channel separation and awesome sound staging.  He's literally describing the polar opposite of Grado sound.  Grado are good for slower paced ROCK, not fast Metal in my opinion.

The ATH-AD700's are perfect if that's what you want.

- My advice to you is to stray far from Grado because their channel separation qualities and comfort are just awful.  The AD700 is a good, not great.  It fits your bill, but I would never call this a good headphone for metal.  Another choice is a used Philips Citiscape Uptown or a Shure SRH 750 DJ.   Both are closed back, but offer great soundstaging and a really nice fun experience with good clarity.  But, if I had one can to recommend to you, its a used Sennheiser HD598.  You will love it, it is almost 100% spot on with what you want but its just a tad out of your budget.  I sold mine for $125 used here with a recable job so I am sure you can get a regular one for the same price.  If bass is a problem for you, use the EQ to tone it down.  Its better to have a bassy headphone you can tone down with EQing than to have a headphone with no bass that can't respond to EQ at all.  Relax and try to save up a little for a used HD598, this is your best option.  The AD700 is a waste, I know you said you refuse to pay more for it, but realize that just $20-30 more would get you one of the best headphones of the past few years in any price tier.

Best of luck
-Mike 

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #36 of 62
I wish I saw the above post around 6:30 yesterday, I already pulled the trigger on the sr60i. I'll demo them next week when they come. And return them itg I'm not satisfied.

My budget was $115 for a reason. I don't have a real income. I get $30/week from plasma donations, and $40 twice a month from my school., and that's the end of it. My REAL budget ended up being $95 with no exceptions.

If someone can recommend something in that range it would be cool.

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #37 of 62
Quote:
I wish I saw the above post around 6:30 yesterday, I already pulled the trigger on the sr60i. I'll demo them next week when they come. And return them itg I'm not satisfied.
My budget was $115 for a reason. I don't have a real income. I get $30/week from plasma donations, and $40 twice a month from my school., and that's the end of it. My REAL budget ended up being $95 with no exceptions.
If someone can recommend something in that range it would be cool.

You are donating your plasma each week to earn 30$ ? Ouch.
You could just get the usual recommendations for something cheap, i.e koss or superlux.
So far the cheap headphones I  like the best,  are in fact ear buds from akg (k317), and they were discontinued.
The koss ksc-75 also have great sound quality for the price (got them at 15$), but are not super comfy.
Now I'm getting the yamaha eph-100 iem (expecting clarity, and great imaging).

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #38 of 62
The koss sound doesn't seem to have what I want, and I'm not looking for hyper budget stuff. I'm selling plasma so I CAN support this hobby at least a little.

How is the koss ur40's instrument separation?

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #39 of 62
Quote:
The koss sound doesn't seem to have what I want, and I'm not looking for hyper budget stuff. I'm selling plasma so I CAN support this hobby at least a little.
How is the koss ur40's instrument separation?

The ksc75 is cheap, but the sound isn't, especially from a good source. They use driver that could compete with 100$ headphones.
They have an amazing soundstage (I love it) , and despite they don't  have the clarity of much more expensive models, they are quite enjoyable & musical;  this is what matters the most I  think. They sound better  than the more expensive koss porta pro.

Otherwise there's the koss pro dj 100, that was reviewed by someone as being a "budget king", you might gather some info.
I  don't know for the ur40.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #43 of 62
soundstage isn't what's important. it's accuracy, speed, bass-light, and instrument separation. soundstage and stereo imaging are nice, though. My favorite 'phones are the old SoundMAGIC PL30 which had amazing accuracy, and an amazingly airy presentation for an in-ear. Ideally i'd like to find something similar in a circumaural phone.

Again, I don't really want a budget phone, and if I did, I'd probably go for an in-ear.

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #44 of 62
well the srh940 are fast, for sure. It's what I like the most in them, their speed.  Accuracy I'm not sure, because frequency response is not very regular. Bass light: well bass is not emphasized for sure.  Instrument separation can be impressive, when listening stuff like infected mushroom. And you said that you love to hear clearly snare drum, crunchy sounds , etc.. The srh940 would be great for all of this. Except they are not open, and much more expensive.

EDIT: I  think I'll stop recommending the srh940, because of built quality issues.

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #45 of 62
If you already have the Grado SR60i, get the L-cushions (donuts) and see how that works for you. If you think they're uncomfortable, you can wash them with warm water and dishwashing liquid to soften them up. The stock comfie pads on the SR60i smear the sound a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back