FA7, the first Quad drivers IEM from FiiO , all Knowles BAs and 3D printed technical , MMCX design
Jan 24, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #316 of 680
Relativity

If time itself has been shown not to be an absolute (Einstein’s 1905 Special Relativity paper) then hearing certainly too is not an absolute. As a side note time can be shown to be moving slower at a mountain top that at sea level.

Finding the right ear tip concerns only the seal at the ears outer opening and does not consider the different manifold of an individual’s ear configuration.

Listening is not an absolute. I do like to read different listening experiences that can be found on this forum, but do not expect a direct correlation to what I will experience.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #317 of 680
Yup you are right

and yes you are also right on distortion

but it is to do with the shape of distortion rather than distortion itself and DD does distort in a good way compared to sharp distortion fall in BA
and decay is a different thing. Decay lingers the DD on specific freq. In FH5, it has more subbass decay, which lead to a presence lingering to a specific nano to millisecond, but the mid bass handled by ED is tight, leading to more subbass presence even though bass output is less.

FA7 is tight and focused and we are simple sensitive between 92.3Hz to 1.21kHz. and the focus fades away after that. so midbass feel more pronounced

OK

knowles bass level from single driver point

CI<TEC<BK<FED=ED

TEC was made to be smaller subbbass driver compared to CI, but its taller. I think it has more voice coil power inside and higher excursion

Then knowles blew DIY and company guys with freaking DTEC. thats stand for Dual TEC. But those crazy engineer didnt stop there.

THEY WENT FOR FREAKING HODVTEC

That stands for something creepy

High Output Dual Vented TEC.

the output is somewhat 10dB over CI and the vented driver go crazy. Plus it do flat down to 1.8kHz flat. and if you remove the vent cover and use it as stock, it blows all the dynamics you have ever heard in subbass. Plus that is the BA which decay.

It is also the biggest Knowles driver and craziest driver as it gets chaotic if we apply simple tuning. Heavy L pad attenuation and Low crossover has to be done

Other crazy driver is Sonion 33Aj xxxx series dual subwoofer. It is tame HODVTEC to tune though but is slightly lower in output
Remember Shure SE846 legendary bass. That comes from sonion unit

and if you want the real bass, go for symbio tips for these IEM. These can also do a heart rumbling bass
Thanks for the insight. I welcome more of that. :)
And..I'll try the Symbios tonight. I have some wide-bore M and L ones.

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #318 of 680
I meant to say, fiio fh5 do justice with poor recording compared to FA7.

FA7 bass is fast. I know that it do mid bass more, but that is nature of BA(I am into building hearing aids for pretty decent period of time).

FH5 bass overall is superior, I even agree on that.

But you can ask fiio for burst decay(it is different from CSD).

And you will get to know what I am talking that.

And when you low pass a CI at 80Hz with a simple RC capacitor, it rolls by 3dB into mids till it go zero.

Dynamic driver too do that, but the decay presence is more in sub bass compared to linear burst of BA.

So when BA is crossed, the sub Bass and mid bass decay is pretty sharp which makes its focus on mid bass as we are more sensitive to mids and the bass nearby to mids is mid bass. Plus ED does the mid bass too.

Dynamic decay is all which makes our focus toward the subbass and extension

But the mids are way more better done on FA7. I mean leagues better(even fiio says that FH5 is different tuning and feel, I disagree as mids are way superior)

Treble is somewhat same but the peak on harmonics (somewhat near 2 or 3kHz) of FH5 makes the treble smoother in feel compared to aggressive FA7. That is also because energy distribution too.

FH5 female vocal is bearable on low bit rate quality but can go slightly shouty while going DSD/FLAC.

FA7 ditch that for lower distortion since the peak was damped.

This also makes the brain focus on lower range of mids, which comes to mid bass again. I mean if you damp the 2kHz by eq, you will feel you can hear the mid bass

The only best bass was Sony IER z1r and Sony XBA z5(even though it was over done in Z5)

Fiio FH5 doesn't comes near on the quality of above mentioned in bass department.

But FA7 came near Sony IER M9 and Z1R on beautiful treble.

But if they have used a extremely damped vent open HODVTEC instead of CI, the bass could had destroyed the FH5, Sony Z5 though

Well HODVTEC is nasty to tune compared to CI. So that was a safe and proper play from Fiio on FA7

Well FA7 is way better done compared to any Dunu and astrotec. Well it blew my Rose BR5, which is itself a great feat.

Well I would want the CI to be more damped though, I mean slightly so the focus goes to subbass.
I agree about the mids - I prefer the mids of the FA7, even though I still think the FH5 mids are good (not shouty). But I prefer everything else on the FH5 compared to the FA7, including build and comfort. Personal preference, not a critique of the FA7, which is excellent in its own right. An FH5 with FA7 mids would be pretty much the perfect IEM for me. FH7 maybe...?

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #319 of 680
I agree about the mids - I prefer the mids of the FA7, even though I still think the FH5 mids are good (not shouty). But I prefer everything else on the FH5 compared to the FA7, including build and comfort. Personal preference, not a critique of the FA7, which is excellent in its own right. An FH5 with FA7 mids would be pretty much the perfect IEM for me. FH7 maybe...?
@FiiO that would be awesome for a FH7

Jan 24, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #320 of 680
Well fit and comfort is a different aspect. I can agree with you on bass too, because sometimes, like Eminem certain tracks can have too much midbass. I mean it can distract.

For me, FH5 was ever so slightly shouty on kpop songs(blackpink)

I think fiio should use updated CI 30120(custom tuned) and Knowles FED(ferrofluid damped) and SWFK as it is.

That would be better pairing all together. ED is now too old. Plus, A tuned FED can sound like a electrostatic drivers in mids.

And the newer is higher output and lower distortion(plus the CI was behaving like full range). This driver gets me a better woofer every time compared to the old gen CI 2xxxxx series.

SWFK choice from Fiio is amazing.

It can be FA7mkii

But seriously I dont have any complain as for now. I think it is good enough to justify everything on its price tag. Actually it can justify itself up to 700$. Andromeda is touch airier and better shaped in treble and bass. I think only small icing on Andromeda and fiio is as it it. Not a big perceivable difference except that Andromeda air is bigger and it hits on a little lower notes(border of subbass and mid bass) due to BK driver and HODVTEC/DTEC sealed. Fiio mids are cleaner than bodied Andromeda(slightly ever so). Andromeda TAEC expands and compress air fixing treble resonance from TWFK, so it stages bigger

Sony IER M7 and M9

I think I have explained M7. OK, M9 can be true successor of both fiio fa7 and ma7. M9 does resolution treble sorta like FA7 but gives a bigger stage to understand music like M7

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #321 of 680
AGDR CMOY v4.2 and KHADAS TONE Non Header version(ESS 9038).
Now i am getting the full potential of what this Fiio FA7 can do.

My AGDR CMOY has TX2575 resistors, Nobium cap and COTO relay. OPA 1688 opamp.
this amp is deat silent in hiss, True ground and true zero output impedance helps the IEM sound as intended.

KHADAS TONE is the best DAC for the price.

This setup takes out the whole out from the Fiio FA7

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #323 of 680
I just realized what you wrote! Lol All you posted was the simple graph of the ES-100 settings. I had you mixed up with Brooko, who posted the detailed frequency spectrum graph. My bad! Lol
No worries! Actually, I wouldn't mind obtaining the raw data from @Brooko for his F9/FH1/FH5/FA7 sweeps. That would be helpful in determining rough estimates of the deviation from any desired target, as a starting point for tweaking EQ. Rough, but much easier and more precise than trying to pick out individual frequencies from a relatively low-resolution bit-mapped log scale graph.

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #324 of 680
AGDR CMOY v4.2 and KHADAS TONE Non Header version(ESS 9038).
Now i am getting the full potential of what this Fiio FA7 can do.

My AGDR CMOY has TX2575 resistors, Nobium cap and COTO relay. OPA 1688 opamp.
this amp is deat silent in hiss, True ground and true zero output impedance helps the IEM sound as intended.

KHADAS TONE is the best DAC for the price.

This setup takes out the whole out from the Fiio FA7
The iem that is used is just a link in the source, amp/dac, and iem chain, and any of these can effect the result that at its end is what we listen too.

My first lesson I learned from this site is that any iem is only a part of what makes for good listening. :)

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #325 of 680
The iem that is used is just a link in the source, amp/dac, and iem chain, and any of these can effect the result that at its end is what we listen too.

My first lesson I learned from this site is that any iem is only a part of what makes for good listening. :)
There is a rule with multi BA driver. Always use a zero ohm output amp with real ground. The first property stabilizes the impedance and second remove the ground hiss.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #326 of 680
No worries! Actually, I wouldn't mind obtaining the raw data from @Brooko for his F9/FH1/FH5/FA7 sweeps. That would be helpful in determining rough estimates of the deviation from any desired target, as a starting point for tweaking EQ. Rough, but much easier and more precise than trying to pick out individual frequencies from a relatively low-resolution bit-mapped log scale graph.
Travelling at the moment (work). If you PM me with exactly what you want,I can send the info in about aweek’s time.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #327 of 680

Given the IEM has the largest deviation - freq response, distortion etc - magnitudes more than dac and amp, it’s the most important link in the chain, and has greatest effect overall. I say that assuming the source has ample power, and low enough impedance for the intended load.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #328 of 680
There is a rule with multi BA driver. Always use a zero ohm output amp with real ground. The first property stabilizes the impedance and second remove the ground hiss.
I always use the same amp when measuring - and it has well under 1ohm impedance (as close as possible to zero). I also sent se same tips and same overall set-up. Consistency is key to comparisons.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #329 of 680
Appreciate that I'm asking similar questions but how are these for black/death/doom metal?

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #330 of 680
Gary

It’s hard to say how any headphone / earphone is for a genre. Each of us has different anatomy and preferences, and they aren’t particular to genres. I personally like neutral tonality with a touch of coolness for clarity. I don’t mind slight emphasis in sub-bass as long as it’s not overdone. I find the FA7 is too warm and thick, and does not have the clarity I personally like. Someone else may prefer a warmer and thicker presentation - so may think they are perfect.

Appreciate that I'm asking similar questions but how are these for black/death/doom metal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back