Everybody's hate K701! (OR- Did anyone of K701's haters even tried them out trough extreme amp?)
Dec 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #16 of 75
I didn't particularly like the general sound signature of the K701. Just too weird for my taste. I did enjoy them when I bass boosted the hell out of them with the E7 (though under driven). But for that, I could just as easily slip on my DT990s, and it would trump the K701 for my needs.

I will say that it's sound signature was absolutely phenomenal for gaming with virtual surround. It did this SOOOOO well.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #17 of 75
haha Acix thx for the suggestions, the SPL Phonitor is something that I definitely want to get in the near future.

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #18 of 75
I'm using a SP Extreme Platinum+ using WE2c51/TS5998 with great results.

I like the clarity and soundstage. I don't like the un natural highs compared to ortho/stat highs and could use more weight in the bottom.

I like pralines&cream ice cream.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #19 of 75

Quote:
I'm using a SP Extreme Platinum+ using WE2c51/TS5998 with great results.

I like the clarity and soundstage. I don't like the un natural highs compared to ortho/stat highs and could use more weight in the bottom.

I like pralines&cream ice cream.

Blah! tastes way to plasticy!
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #21 of 75
I've listened to the K702 on a Purity Audio KICAS Caliente (also non-Caliente version) which synergized better than any other amp I had available to try them on, and my Meier Concerto. I briefly tried them on my Essence STX which understandably yielded mediocre results. At their best the K702 sounded almost well-balanced, detailed, with great separation. Most of the time, they failed to give adequate attention to the lower ranges critical to making music. Without that key ingredient, they're presenting music only in part, with much of the whole picture suppressed or nearly non-existent.

The "plastic" characteristic is something that never went away. It's this tonal imbalance in the midrange that prevents them from competing with highend headphones even in their own price range, where they might sound just "good" at the best of times, but never what I'd consider approaching natural or realistic that more bang-for-your-buck headphones have less trouble doing. The K702 just gives a lopsided presentation, which might be impressive for a $160-200 headphone but not one in the $250 range where lots of other better choices start to emerge.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #22 of 75
My K702 through Benchmark DAC-1 Pre --> Grace m902b sounds quite similar to the Adam A7, just lacking a bit of transparency.  Can't complain. 

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #23 of 75
While my experience with the K701s was largely positive (though not as positive as my HD650s), I will focus on the negative aspects. I could not listen critically to the K701s because they thrust all the detail up and left nothing in the background. This isn't to say that they didn't have an expansive soundstage (I found that to be easily their most attractive attribute), but that it was like the sound was an image cast on a huge circular wall, compared to the HD650 which was like being in a diorama in a smaller room.

EDIT: The K701 lived in the rig in my sig for about 4 months.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #24 of 75

Quote:
Daniel, most of people who tried the K701 trough the right amp reports that even Canamp isn't good enough for the K701.
Uncle Erik, I meant for something like the SPL Auditor. something strong enough. (who comes with high price, of course)
I don't think the amps you have used for the K701 was enough for them. I suggest you keep trying them, you might love them in the end.
It sounds like the plastic sound, the weak bass and the too-strong treble are one of the first things to fade away just with the right amp.

jelaz, you'll stand it. I know you can. it's not the first theard and not the last one. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I want this theard to be focus on the right amping for K701, and how could they sound without it.
A lot says just a difference things about the K701. ("they are very natural"\"they are plastic"). something's fishy. I think that it's just a question of amping. 

Rayz,

With all due respect, if a Zana Deux or a Gilmore Dynalo is not enough amp for a K701, there is something seriously wrong with the business model for the K701. I do not think the problem with the K701 can be answered by saying you just need to throw more amp at it.

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #25 of 75

Quote:
It's rare to find someone who likes the K-501, K-340, older K-240s, K-1000, etc. who also likes the K-701.

And for these reason, trusting you I coupled my K500 with a HD650, after 15 years of AKG-K500 exclusive listening.
I'm happy, happy to switch between them.

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #26 of 75
Yeah, this whole idea that the problems with the 70X will disappear once you listen to them with a Phonitor is ridiculous. And if true, AKG should be upfront about it and tell the consumer, 'you won't obtain optimum results until you spend a couple of grand on an amp for them.: Not likely though, since they'd have close to zero sales. I'd never  bash anyone for liking them, but it's a fact that some people DO hear flaws in them that don't seem to disappear with high quality amps

Quote:
Quote:
Daniel, most of people who tried the K701 trough the right amp reports that even Canamp isn't good enough for the K701.
Uncle Erik, I meant for something like the SPL Auditor. something strong enough. (who comes with high price, of course)
I don't think the amps you have used for the K701 was enough for them. I suggest you keep trying them, you might love them in the end.
It sounds like the plastic sound, the weak bass and the too-strong treble are one of the first things to fade away just with the right amp.

jelaz, you'll stand it. I know you can. it's not the first theard and not the last one. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I want this theard to be focus on the right amping for K701, and how could they sound without it.
A lot says just a difference things about the K701. ("they are very natural"\"they are plastic"). something's fishy. I think that it's just a question of amping. 

Rayz,

With all due respect, if a Zana Deux or a Gilmore Dynalo is not enough amp for a K701, there is something seriously wrong with the business model for the K701. I do not think the problem with the K701 can be answered by saying you just need to throw more amp at it.

Dec 13, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #28 of 75
Quote:
Yeah, this whole idea that the problems with the 70X will disappear once you listen to them with a Phonitor is ridiculous. And if true, AKG should be upfront about it and tell the consumer, 'you won't obtain optimum results until you spend a couple of grand on an amp for them.: Not likely though, since they'd have close to zero sales. I'd never  bash anyone for liking them, but it's a fact that some people DO hear flaws in them that don't seem to disappear with high quality amps

How about the whole idea that it requires very specific and very expensive amps to "fix" the problems with the K701/2? Seems like it would be cheaper and easier just to get a headphone with less fundamental issues to begin with, leaving you with a broader choice of amps to play around with.

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #29 of 75

Quote:
Quote:

How about the whole idea that it requires very specific and very expensive amps to "fix" the problems with the K701/2? Seems like it would be cheaper and easier just to get a headphone with less fundamental issues to begin with, leaving you with a broader choice of amps to play around with.

Right, why to get all this amp/DAC goodies?

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #30 of 75
Simple answer is a whole lot of folks don't have $2000 to throw around on an amp/dac. If someone buys a phone for $300 or less they're not normally prepared to shell out that kind of money. You may not be aware of it, but some folks actually have families to support, mortgages, car payments, student loans, etc. If some people I know found out I spent  $200 on a set of used headphones alone they'd most likely think I was losing my mind.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Right, why to get all this amp/DAC goodies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back