ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 29, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #2,206 of 3,213
Just listened to the Ether 2 this morning on my way to work. I'm trying to find ways to not let this headphone go.. it's too good for my tastes. However, even with Suede pads it seems that there is still somewhat of a clamp issue.. the tragedy of having a defined jaw. :p

Can anyone comment on the perforated pads? Comparison with the Suede or even stock?

May 29, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #2,207 of 3,213
I did that to my LCD-2 because it was like sticking my head in a vice from the original clamping force, but it was much easier to do to that headphone because the traditional spring steel headband gives you a place to rest your thumbs and control the pressure carefully. I don't think I could bend the nitinol wires evenly on both sides because there just isn't anything to grip enough to be able to control the force you're applying.

May 29, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #2,208 of 3,213
Oh wow. I've tried this but the nitinol (memory metal) headband just seems to return to exactly the same shape. Maybe I'm being too gentle? Have you got any tips for making this work?

My suede earpads departed London Heathrow on 25th May, Sheffield bound.

Yeah it requires a bit of force. The main spot for bending were my thumbs on the top center of the headphone, hands on either side of the center for support. The wires aren't perfectly lined up anymore but it's a small price for me to pay for excellent comfort.

upload_2019-5-29_19-37-29.png

May 30, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #2,209 of 3,213
Yeah it requires a bit of force. The main spot for bending were my thumbs on the top center of the headphone, hands on either side of the center for support. The wires aren't perfectly lined up anymore but it's a small price for me to pay for excellent comfort.

What are those clips above the headband sliders for?

May 30, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #2,211 of 3,213

I think you'll find @mrspeakers will strongly advise against trying to modify the shape of the headband. I seem to remember a post on the Ether 1 thread heavily advising against it as doing so can permanently damage the shape of the metal (IIRC).

May 30, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #2,212 of 3,213
I think you'll find @mrspeakers will strongly advise against trying to modify the shape of the headband. I seem to remember a post on the Ether 1 thread heavily advising against it as doing so can permanently damage the shape of the metal (IIRC).
I'm quite positive that I've permanently damaged the shape of the metal. To me, it was worth it to make them usable for more than a few minutes. Now they're probably the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

Again, I don't recommend anyone do this because you might break your headphones.

May 31, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,214 of 3,213
I've never heard the Ether 2's in person, and I would love to. But they seem a little hard to find IRL instead of simply through online storefronts. Anyone have any ideas on how I could audition a pair? The closest local headphone store for me is out in portland, and they seem to mainly only have graudo, sennheiser, and audeze.

May 31, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2,215 of 3,213
Just listened to the Ether 2 this morning on my way to work. I'm trying to find ways to not let this headphone go.. it's too good for my tastes. However, even with Suede pads it seems that there is still somewhat of a clamp issue.. the tragedy of having a defined jaw. :p

Can anyone comment on the perforated pads? Comparison with the Suede or even stock?

Im right there with you...I could not get past the clamping force. Ended up selling them, somewhat wished I could have tried the new pads, but maybe sometime down the line. I also wish I would have tried to bend the band but Dan himself seemed to think that it would not work so I never tried, lol.

I would say go for it...try to give them a bit of a custom design!

Keith

May 31, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #2,216 of 3,213
I pulled the trigger on some suede pads. Will throw my $0.02 into the bucket after they get in and I test them out. I'm optimistic they will add just a bit of softness/warmth that I find myself craving using the Ether 2 with Topping D50/THX AAA 789.

May 31, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #2,217 of 3,213
Im right there with you...I could not get past the clamping force. Ended up selling them, somewhat wished I could have tried the new pads, but maybe sometime down the line. I also wish I would have tried to bend the band but Dan himself seemed to think that it would not work so I never tried, lol.

I would say go for it...try to give them a bit of a custom design!

Keith

Just out of curiosity, what are your current headphones that sound good enough but are also comfortable for you?

May 31, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #2,218 of 3,213
Just out of curiosity, what are your current headphones that sound good enough but are also comfortable for you?

I traded the Ether 2s for a set of Auteurs... Love the sound, ended up ordering a new set in cocobollo with the mag. Chassis to lighten then up a bit and start with s fresh warranty. The blackwoods were heavy, but the suspension strap and thick pads make then super comfortable. The new set should be even more so.

The Auteurs are basically all I want for sound at this point, but also enjoy my 660s and Cascades for travel.

Keith

I'm currently testing the he6 SE on the tour and I got to say you sound pretty damn good too. Not as neutral as the ethers but more fun.

May 31, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #2,219 of 3,213
I traded the Ether 2s for a set of Auteurs... Love the sound, ended up ordering a new set in cocobollo with the mag. Chassis to lighten then up a bit and start with s fresh warranty. The blackwoods were heavy, but the suspension strap and thick pads make then super comfortable. The new set should be even more so.

The Auteurs are basically all I want for sound at this point, but also enjoy my 660s and Cascades for travel.

Keith

I'm currently testing the he6 SE on the tour and I got to say you sound pretty damn good too. Not as neutral as the ethers but more fun.
I'll be interested to learn if you notice significant differences between Blackwood and Cocobolo sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back