ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 31, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #2,222 of 3,210
Perforated pads came in last night, and I've been listening to them a little bit since then. I gotta say, they're what I've wished the Ether 2's sounded like from the start. They give the bass more impact and presence like the suede, but don't sound soft throughout the entire FR like the suede pads do. Luckily, they retain just as much (if not more) detail in the mids and highs than the original pads.

It sucks that everyone is having issues with the clamp, I'm lucky these fit my head perfectly. It's hard to find headphones that clamp enough: I had to sell my HD800s and Auteurs because the slightest head movement would cause them to fall off.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #2,224 of 3,210
I'd be curious to know how the clamp on these compares to the Ether Flows.
To me, the clamping force was much higher... Maybe not 50% more, but I never experienced jaw fatigue with the C Flows or the Flows. It could be the softer pads or just generally less headband strain, I'm not sure, but I would buy the Flow C's if I were looking for a closed back currently.

May 31, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #2,225 of 3,210
To me, the clamping force was much higher... Maybe not 50% more, but I never experienced jaw fatigue with the C Flows or the Flows...
Agree with this — I can make Ether Flow very loose. I personally don’t experience the ‘too tight’ thing with E2, but I can make Ether Flow ‘too loose’.

Jun 1, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #2,227 of 3,210
Check out ANY World Of Warcraft OST. Man, I love this headphone. It can sound big, it can sound intimate, etc. It's very versatile.

Jun 2, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #2,228 of 3,210
Any suggestion for ether 2, i have chord tt2 and monolith liquid platinum , i find that ether 2 mid/vocal is to dark , it looks like mid/vocal lacks of high frequency .
I have try directly from hugo tt2 and from tt2 to monolith Lp ,with the same result .

Any recomendation what to upgrade ?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #2,230 of 3,210
What tubes are you using in your LP?
I find the WE 2C51 in the LP with the E2 give me all the top end I personally want.
I am using standard electro harmonic, and genelec gold lion from upscale ( not good result ,L/R imbalance )
I can not acces to change different tubes as i dont know where to buy adapter and tubes in my country ).

Jun 2, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #2,231 of 3,210
Any suggestion for ether 2, i have chord tt2 and monolith liquid platinum , i find that ether 2 mid/vocal is to dark , it looks like mid/vocal lacks of high frequency .
I have try directly from hugo tt2 and from tt2 to monolith Lp ,with the same result .

Any recomendation what to upgrade ?

I’m not sure how helpful this will be as I have used both the LP and TT2 and don’t find the Ether 2 mids or vocals too dark. My preferences lean towards the warm side so maybe that is why. Here are various thoughts:

-Some Ether 2s that were fairly early out of production had some frequency issues. I can’t recall the nature of the issues but muffled/Veiled without the proper response in the higher frequencies, I think was the symptom. Where did you buy your E2s? Maybe it’s worth sending an email to Mrspeakers to get their feedback.

-I found the Seimens A Frame E88CC really makes the LP a mid forward, vivid amp. If you’re committed to the LP, that might be a decent option. The platinum rated tubes are $150 each so they aren’t cheap.

-Finally, assuming the Ether 2 do not have a production flaw (which most likely they do not), you’re best bet is to find another pair of headphones that fits your profile better. Using the TT2 and also having a LP, it’s not your gear that is causing the undesirable profile. A headphone swap with a new pair that fits your sonic profile should do wonders with a TT2.

Good luck.

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #2,232 of 3,210
I’m not sure how helpful this will be as I have used both the LP and TT2 and don’t find the Ether 2 mids or vocals too dark. My preferences lean towards the warm side so maybe that is why. Here are various thoughts:

-Some Ether 2s that were fairly early out of production had some frequency issues. I can’t recall the nature of the issues but muffled/Veiled without the proper response in the higher frequencies, I think was the symptom. Where did you buy your E2s? Maybe it’s worth sending an email to Mrspeakers to get their feedback.

-I found the Seimens A Frame E88CC really makes the LP a mid forward, vivid amp. If you’re committed to the LP, that might be a decent option. The platinum rated tubes are $150 each so they aren’t cheap.

-Finally, assuming the Ether 2 do not have a production flaw (which most likely they do not), you’re best bet is to find another pair of headphones that fits your profile better. Using the TT2 and also having a LP, it’s not your gear that is causing the undesirable profile. A headphone swap with a new pair that fits your sonic profile should do wonders with a TT2.

Good luck.
Thx.

I buy The ether 2 when it first Come out , With The distributor in my country.
It seems right now there are No distributor for mrspeakers in my country, so i have Trouble for checking The headphone .
And The trouble seems like you described , muffled and high frequency roll off.

Hopefully Dan can chime in, because I already email mrspeakers the first time I feel weird ,to check if my mrspeakers with s/n ... is having troubled , and they said my ether 2 is not having problem .

Jun 3, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #2,233 of 3,210
I'm getting pretty close to buying the perforated pads, but then I wonder if I even need them.

Jun 3, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #2,234 of 3,210
I'm also sitting on the fence. Are the new pads truly an upgrade or just an alternative to stock pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back