ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 3, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #2,238 of 3,207
I've had the suede pads for just over a week now.

Getting the stock pads off and these on was very straightforward.

I bought these primarily to improve comfort as I was finding the clamp force behind the ears with the stock pads very uncomfortable. They have improved comfort but they're still not great in this regard for me. I think the problem is the high clamp force of the headband combined with all the pressure being exerted at the rear as the earcups are not attached to the front of the yoke. I can feel the comfort improve if I exert some gentle pressure at the front of the earpads, which relieves a little pressure behind the ears. I haven't yet been successful in stretching out the nitonol headband. It's a memory metal specifically designed to return to its original shape so if you're going to design a headphone with this stuff you better ensure you get its shape bang on to start with. And that's probably an impossible ask given all our different shaped heads!

Soundwise, I think the suede pads are a little smoother than stock, possibly at the expense of a little detail. We're not talking night and day differences here. Just a slight tonal change. I don't think I'd be shelling out for new pads if it wasn't for the comfort issue.

I do love the sound of these headphones. If someone could come up with a new headband I'd be in there like a shot!

Jun 3, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #2,240 of 3,207
The weird thing is that the headband is exactly the same as VOCE, ETHER Flow, and AEON geometry and almost nobody ever complains about clamp force. On E2, the vast majority have no issue, but there seem to be a few more fit issues than I would expect.

Fortunately with the new pads if you have pressure behind the bottom of your ear you can rotate the pad placement to improve fit. Peel the pads off, and rotate the pad so the seem is about 1CM BELOW the jack, not directly lined to the jack. This will materially reduce pressure for anyone with a sensitive spot behind the ear.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 3, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #2,241 of 3,207
Initial impressions of the suede pads are VERY positive for me. Replacing them scared the poo out of me but actually wasn't that bad. Definitely a modest increase in perceived soundstage. And they just remove all of the rough edges from the sound, not that there were many to begin with. But, I use a more clinical source (THX 789) and the added smoothness is very welcome. The slight shoutiness I experienced on some rock/metal tracks is gone. The overall frequency response is still very even, but leans warmer without a noticeable loss of detail/resolution so far. Maybe a slight increase in sub-bass as well. Clamp force is still there, but it never bothered me that much to begin with, and the suede feels a lot better on my skin than the protein leather. I'll report back later if my impressions change, but if this holds, these are keepers. Big thumbs up.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #2,242 of 3,207
...I do love the sound of these headphones. If someone could come up with a new headband I'd be in there like a shot!

Looks kinda whack, but here's my solution. The headband was causing a hotspot due to not distributing pressure enough, my solution was to use a seatbelt for the headband (inspired by Aurorus Audio). Doesn't look as good as stock, but does a great job at distributing the weight more evenly. I'm eventually going to work on making it look nicer, but it looks good enough for now.
pxI63mK.jpg

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #2,243 of 3,207
Looks kinda whack, but here's my solution. The headband was causing a hotspot due to not distributing pressure enough, my solution was to use a seatbelt for the headband (inspired by Aurorus Audio). Doesn't look as good as stock, but does a great job at distributing the weight more evenly. I'm eventually going to work on making it look nicer, but it looks good enough for now.

I’ve never heard anyone complain about the weight of the ether 2. They weigh less than 300 grams. The only complaint people talk about is clamping force. I’m not gonna lie, that head strap is ugly.

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #2,244 of 3,207
I’ve never heard anyone complain about the weight of the ether 2. They weigh less than 300 grams. The only complaint people talk about is clamping force. I’m not gonna lie, that head strap is ugly.

It wasn't the weight, it was that the headband didn't distribute the weight well enough on my head. I've got a pretty dry sensitive scalp, so any headphone sitting wrong on my head will cause a decent amount of discomfort. I needed as much surface area as I could get so that it didn't irritate my head as much. It doesn't really matter to me that it looks ugly, all that matters to me is that it sounds great and is now the most comfortable headphone I've owned.

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #2,245 of 3,207
It wasn't the weight, it was that the headband didn't distribute the weight well enough on my head. I've got a pretty dry sensitive scalp, so any headphone sitting wrong on my head will cause a decent amount of discomfort. I needed as much surface area as I could get so that it didn't irritate my head as much. It doesn't really matter to me that it looks ugly, all that matters to me is that it sounds great and is now the most comfortable headphone I've owned.

You are right. All that matters is the sound.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #2,246 of 3,207

It looks a lot like an AKG K340 now

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #2,247 of 3,207
I'm starting to really admire the snug fit. The suede pads definitely helped relieve some of the clamp force, so now it's nearly perfect for my tastes. I do have an average sized head though.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #2,248 of 3,207

I was one of them. The headphones are very light yes, but the suspension strap doesn't do a good job at distributing the weight/ isn't plush enough. I get a small hotspot on the top of my head after 45 minutes.

Jun 4, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #2,249 of 3,207
I decided to go back to the original pads. I miss the energy that it brought to the table, and also my Burson Soloist mkII tames the highs just enough! I like the snug fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back