ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 25, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #2,191 of 3,210
What do you think about the perforated pads in relation to the suede?
I really like them both, but it really depends on my mood and music type. I'm currently listening to Vampire Weekend's newest album and the Avengers End Game soundtrack on the perforated pads and they sound amazing. Very clear and detailed, with very well controlled bass. I have been preferring a tight, articulate, and well textured bass in my headphones and cannot stand it when the bass sounds muffled and muddy. The suede provides a softer sound without causing them to sound muffled or muddy, but I find myself gravitating to the perforated pads due to the overall balance, clarity, and detail.

May 25, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #2,192 of 3,210
I'd actually like to just be able to order the suede pad as an option from the beginning. (at time of sale without the original pad). It seems the majority find it to be an upgrade in comfort (which is a priority for me).

Bern
I would agree that they are an upgrade in comfort and overall sound, but they sound a bit darker than the default pads. Being able to make the default pads peelable is very interesting to me.

May 25, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #2,193 of 3,210
After listening more, I'm honestly not a huge fan of the Suede pads, they soften the sound too much for my liking. Seems like the perforated pads would be more up my alley. Would anybody be interested in trading my suede for your perforated pads?

EDIT: Justified buying them so now I can have two sets of pads for different moods.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #2,196 of 3,210
I really enjoy the Ether 2 so I went ahead and order both of the new pads. I appreciate the slight changes each bring and find the changes to be in line with the claims.

The big con for me is I don't enjoy the peelable pads. It is super easy and simple but in my little experience, I've already noticed my perforated one isn't as tacky and that's with barely less than 5 swaps between the suede. With my little testing between the two, I think I enjoy the perforated more which bums me out because they aren't really sticking to the headphones.
Any one else experiencing this? Ive attached a photo. The suede holds on well while my perforated eventually rises up on the corners.
IMG_20190526_165754.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #2,197 of 3,210
Ether C 2? Enough interest/buyers to justify it? Bought original Ether C and I was hardly alone. Many think of open as gold standard and closed as occasional user. Any news about Sennheiser 820 sales to date?

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #2,198 of 3,210
I really enjoy the Ether 2 so I went ahead and order both of the new pads. I appreciate the slight changes each bring and find the changes to be in line with the claims.

The big con for me is I don't enjoy the peelable pads. It is super easy and simple but in my little experience, I've already noticed my perforated one isn't as tacky and that's with barely less than 5 swaps between the suede. With my little testing between the two, I think I enjoy the perforated more which bums me out because they aren't really sticking to the headphones.
Any one else experiencing this? Ive attached a photo. The suede holds on well while my perforated eventually rises up on the corners.

When the pad loses tack wipe it with a little alcohol. We have units that have been in use for production testing that have lasted over a year of frequent removals. My personal set has survived multiple trade shows with frequent demos.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 28, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #2,199 of 3,210
I'm calling it out: the Ether 2 is my end-game headphone. It fills everything that I want within one package.. light, comfortable, portable, detailed, smooth with a realistic soundstage and transparent bass, great cable, great with gaming, great with movies, easy to drive, etc..

I'm saying this in hopes that the Ether 2 will be out for quite awhile, until a revision or the Ether 3 comes out. :p

It took me 3 years to get to this point, but better now than never. :)

I am feeling the same way. They just have the exact amount of everything I want from my personal audio. They are just so transparent but without any rough edges, and do everything as well as I could hope for. I'm just here for the gushing and circlejerking.

May 28, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #2,201 of 3,210
I just bought an HD 650 because, unfortunately, I need to sell my Ether 2 at this time.. but a worn-in HD 650 is the most comfortable headphone that I think I've ever worn. Sound wise, I actually think they are more different than they are similar. It's actually quite striking at how much farther away sounds are in the Ether 2.. it definitely has a larger sound-stage, but at the same time this vastness sometimes makes me feel disconnected from the music.

Bruh.. why do my tastes keep changing. :p

May 28, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #2,202 of 3,210
Random Ether 2 thoughts and questions:

-I really like the suede pads, especially for comfort and sound stage. I have realized they won’t be a good all arounder pad for my tastes because they are a bit too smooth for all genres.

-I ordered a pair of perforated pads. I’m looking forward to hearing their signature.

-What after market cables do you all like with your Ether 2s?
For various reasons I’ve had Vivo, Forza AW Single Ended, Forza AW balanced and Moon Black Dragon.

May 28, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,203 of 3,210
[QUOTE="chimney189, post: 14978117, member: 458251
Bruh.. why do my tastes keep changing. :p[/QUOTE]

Didn't you say, in a post months ago, that you are always changing hp and you figured it would be the same for the E2's at some point?:relaxed:

May 28, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2,204 of 3,210
The Ether 2 are my end-game for now. But I almost sold them because the clamp was uncomfortable after only a few minutes wearing them, even with the suede pads. I tried all the potential fixes Dan mentioned to no avail. So I tried something no one has mentioned yet (for good reason): I carefully bent the headband outward a bit and now the clamp is perfect without changing the sound. The comfort is extraordinary. I don't recommend this for obvious reasons, but there it is.

Before, the pads were touching each other when held like this. Now:

upload_2019-5-28_19-53-55.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back