ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 20, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2,162 of 3,202
Hey guys, I'm the author of that video and I just wanted to clarify a few things regarding the E2 that may have been missed.

1. The crinkle issue is caused by inconsistency in pressure from the seal - which is due to either my beard getting in the way, or where my ear is in relation to my jaw. This causes even the slightest head movement to affect the seal pressure, resulting in the crinkle sound. For anyone wondering, my head is a fairly normal shape, but it may simply not work with the default E2 pads. I don't have this issue with any other mrspeakers headphones. The crinkle issue occurred on both units I tested, so it's also highly unlikely to be a defect. I had multiple people try it, and they didn't have the same issue as me. The bottom line is that while it clearly doesn't work for me (and likely anyone with similar headshape or facial features), it shouldn't be a problem for most people.

2. I really like the E2 apart from that one issue. The sound reminds me of a super HD650, and while my preference is for a super HD600, I think a lot of people will really like this. Moreover, I think the alternate pads will make a substantial difference for improving the treble response closer to my taste. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test them out, but for current or prospective E2 owners, I think you're likely in good hands when it comes to tonality options.

3. Mrspeakers support is absolutely incredible and they're truly wonderful to engage with.

May 20, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #2,163 of 3,202
The sound reminds me of a super HD650

This term confuses me as the E2 is described as neutral while the 650s could be described as neutral/warm with forward mids. The treble is probably the same with a lot more extension and detail from the E2s and way better subbass. Could you describe what exactly reminds you of the 650s?

May 20, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #2,164 of 3,202
This term confuses me as the E2 is described as neutral while the 650s could be described as neutral/warm with forward mids. The treble is probably the same with a lot more extension and detail from the E2s and way better subbass. Could you describe what exactly reminds you of the 650s?

Yes. I only mean in the sense that it has a more relaxed and subdued treble. It's definitely warmer than neutral with stock pads, and I say 'super' hd650 because of A) it's better resolution, speed and staging, and B) it has WAY better bass extension - honestly it's got the ideal bass extension. I only reference the HD650 because it's a commonly used headphone as a reference point, and to me the E2 sounds closer to that kind of tonality than the HD600.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #2,165 of 3,202
It's definitely warmer than neutral with stock pads...
I get what you're saying here and don't disagree. But many folks see 'warmer' and think of elevated bass, especially mid-bass, or even lower mids. To me, E2 is very linear/neutral, except for some roll-off in the highs.

May 20, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #2,166 of 3,202
I get what you're saying here and don't disagree. But many folks see 'warmer' and think of elevated bass, especially mid-bass, or even lower mids. To me, E2 is very linear/neutral, except for some roll-off in the highs.

Yup, that's pretty much how I hear it as well, although I don't think it's rolled off so much as just subdued between 5-8khz. Above that the treble comes back just fine.

May 20, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #2,167 of 3,202
Yup, that's pretty much how I hear it as well, although I don't think it's rolled off so much as just subdued between 5-8khz. Above that the treble comes back just fine.
Your ears, my (really old) ears :)

May 20, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #2,169 of 3,202
I received my suede pads over the weekend, but had been listening to other cans the last few weeks so i didn't jump to install them. I decided to reacquaint myself with the E2 again and was listening to some old school rap (NWA's Straight Outta Compton). Some of the tracks were a bit too bright for me so I figured, what the heck, let me do the pad swap mid-album. So, I did the swap (super easy. on one of my original pads, some of the original adhesive didn't survive so don't know if that will survive too many more swaps without some additional adhesive). That sure made a difference. In that bright/sibilance range (prob 5-8K), that smoothed out quite a bit. Bass, whether it is actually more or just more relative to the new treble FR feels like it received a bump, maybe even just a bit thick (but I need to listen to a better variety of music before I can be sure). Now these tracks are listenable again with the suede. My personal preference has always been a big on the darker side and the suede pads definitely tuned the E2 better for my personal preferences. But so far so good!

May 20, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #2,170 of 3,202
I better get on it and do some pad swapping!

I am using the Gilmore lite Mk2. That sounds so good (Thanks, Dan!) that I have preordered the GS-X mini for a nice ss option.

'And now for something completely different'............

Several folks here like the E2 w/ the Cavelli Liquid Platinum.
Has anyone tried the E2 with the Cayin HA-1 Mk2? About the same cost and a good looking piece of audio gear but wondering how it sounds with the Ether 2?

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #2,171 of 3,202
I don't see the connection with the HD650 at all. It's insulting to to the E2. The HD650 is overrated and honestly a terrible headphone. The bass is slow and sloppy on the HD650 while the E2 handles speed and slam like a champ. The clarity and soundstage is also much better on the E2. That's why one costs in the low $200s in 6xx form and the other is $2k and worth the difference.

May 21, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #2,172 of 3,202
I don't see the connection with the HD650 at all. It's insulting to to the E2. The HD650 is overrated and honestly a terrible headphone. The bass is slow and sloppy on the HD650 while the E2 handles speed and slam like a champ. The clarity and soundstage is also much better on the E2. That's why one costs in the low $200s in 6xx form and the other is $2k and worth the difference.
No need to get sensitive, I don’t think the intent was to insult anybody, I guess you are not a 650 fan. Anyway he said “super” meaning super extra better

May 21, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #2,173 of 3,202

Find me a headphone with a better frequency balance from 50hz to 20khz than the HD650. I already know the answer: you won't be able to, not even with the E2. Comparing E2 to a headphone so famously smooth and balanced in its FR is not insulting at all.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #2,175 of 3,202
Find me a headphone with a better frequency balance from 50hz to 20khz than the HD650. I already know the answer: you won't be able to, not even with the E2. Comparing E2 to a headphone so famously smooth and balanced in its FR is not insulting at all.
Agree. Interesting how different aspects of a headphone's sound can make or break it for different ears. Frequency response/tonality, staging/imaging, bass speed and slam, clarity, detail retrieval, all matter, but different ears value them differently.

I never would have said HD-6xx were 'terrible', but I didn't really get them until I heard them from my LP w/ Siemens tubes.

Still, my E2 are really certainly playing on a different field, and I would agree with @FangJoker 's opinion of their bass quality vs HD-6xx, although not to the degree he expresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back