ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 11, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #1,861 of 3,210
Just jumped in and bought the suede pads - any suede pad owners out there?

Particularly interested to hear how they affect the detail retrieval of the Ethers and their balance. I never thought I would ever drift towards a neutral'ish HP but I've come to really appreciate the beautiful balance (balance in the sense that they seem to deliver a beautiful delivery of the highs, mids and lows). Wanted to check that the 'smoothness' the suede pads deliver doesn't detract from those two outstanding qualities of these headphones.

Many thanks,

MFM

I venture to say that you'll enjoy the suede pads very much. These pads have a smoothness to the treble range but the detail is still there.

Apr 12, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #1,862 of 3,210
Apr 12, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #1,864 of 3,210
Have had the E2s just shy of 2 months now and have had them paired with a Liquid Platinum with the stock tube and really feel like I've stepped ever so close to finding my end game. I've had fatigue issues with most headphones that I've tried / owned and these are just a treat.

@MattTCG or if anyone else can comment on these 2 things:

1) Any recommendation on a replacement tube for the Liquid Platinum ? While I'm pretty satisfied with the stock tube, I know there are always better tubes :p Anything that will give a more spacious sound? How about smoother for female vocals?

2) My only issue so far with the Ether 2 is on my marathon sessions (gaming, watching videos, music), it does get a bit warm / uncomfortable around my ears. I suspect it's because of the 'seal' effect these have as opposed to say, the K7XX or HH650. Does the perforated give more airflow than the suede or do they both have the similar 'sealing' effect as the stock pads? Do you recommend one over the other for marathon sessions? If I were to order both, is it fairly simple to swap out between the 2 pads?

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #1,865 of 3,210
1) Any recommendation on a replacement tube for the Liquid Platinum ? While I'm pretty satisfied with the stock tube, I know there are always better tubes :p Anything that will give a more spacious sound? How about smoother for female vocals?
I've been very happy with my NOS Siemens E88CC w/ LP/E2.

Def better than stock, and preferred over Gold Lions, which I like very much w/ LP/Utopia.

Hope that helps.

Apr 12, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #1,866 of 3,210
Thanks!! Do you have a recommended vendor for these? I've seen that Ebay is quite popular with a few sellers being reliable.

I've been very happy with my NOS Siemens E88CC w/ LP/E2.

Def better than stock, and preferred over Gold Lions, which I like very much w/ LP/Utopia.

Hope that helps.

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #1,867 of 3,210
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,868 of 3,210
Have had the E2s just shy of 2 months now and have had them paired with a Liquid Platinum with the stock tube and really feel like I've stepped ever so close to finding my end game. I've had fatigue issues with most headphones that I've tried / owned and these are just a treat.

@MattTCG or if anyone else can comment on these 2 things:

2) My only issue so far with the Ether 2 is on my marathon sessions (gaming, watching videos, music), it does get a bit warm / uncomfortable around my ears. I suspect it's because of the 'seal' effect these have as opposed to say, the K7XX or HH650. Does the perforated give more airflow than the suede or do they both have the similar 'sealing' effect as the stock pads? Do you recommend one over the other for marathon sessions? If I were to order both, is it fairly simple to swap out between the 2 pads?

Thanks!

1. If you are looking for ultimate smooth/warmth with tubes on the LP consider:

a. Amperex Orange Globes. Try Mercedesman on ebay...tell him I sent you for a nice discount :)

b. For smooth with refinement, try Amperex PQ. I'll see if I can find some ebay links.

c. For ultimate refinement, tone, texture you can try the holy grail Tesla 6922 pairs that sell for silly money.

2. Suede will be your friend on long term comfort and breath-ability.

Best of luck!

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #1,869 of 3,210
This headphone does a lot of things right and very few things wrong. I love how natural it sounds.

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #1,870 of 3,210
Thanks!! will keep an eye out for those tubes. Went ahead and placed an order for the suedes as well.

1. If you are looking for ultimate smooth/warmth with tubes on the LP consider:

a. Amperex Orange Globes. Try Mercedesman on ebay...tell him I sent you for a nice discount :)

b. For smooth with refinement, try Amperex PQ. I'll see if I can find some ebay links.

c. For ultimate refinement, tone, texture you can try the holy grail Tesla 6922 pairs that sell for silly money.

2. Suede will be your friend on long term comfort and breath-ability.

Best of luck!

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #1,871 of 3,210
Apr 12, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #1,872 of 3,210
I'm starting to get curious about this Liquid Platinum amplifier -- has anyone compared it to a V181?

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #1,873 of 3,210
I'm starting to get curious about this Liquid Platinum amplifier -- has anyone compared it to a V181?
No, but I preferred E2/LP to E2/V280. Better headstage, more depth.

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #1,874 of 3,210
The Ether 2 is still impressing me after over a month of ownership. I think part of it is how great a pairing it is with the Hugo TT 2. I always notice how textured the music feels with the Ether 2.

Apr 15, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #1,875 of 3,210
I'm starting to think that I might end up selling this headphone, but it may be just because I love owning and selling headphones to try something new.
I was going to keep this as my neutral headphone, but if I'd take any points off for this headphone is that sometimes things seem to be a bit too congested .. only at times. I think this might have to do more with brain-burn-in because I usually listen to this after I put down my HD 800. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back