1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MattTCG, Oct 3, 2018.
First

Back
116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125
127 128 129
Next

Last
  1. LCMusicLover
    Honestly, I would have agreed with you before I listened to E2/LP/Siemens E88CC chain. Suddenly heard more 3-d headstage, which opened things up and eliminated 'congested' from my description of E2. Not as wide or tall as HD-800 stage, but the depth really works for me.

2. chimney189
    Interesting, I wonder if cheaper hybrid tube amps would work well.. such as a Project Polaris or whatnot.

3. LCMusicLover
    I don't know. Also, I didn't get to 'wow' until I had swapped tubes a bit: stock EH-6922 ==> Gold Lions (not sig improve) ==> Amperex 7308 PQ (better) ==> Siemens E88CC (wow!)

There's some music where the headstage depth is really striking (Loreena McKennit, Ray LaMontagne, well-recorded Dead shows, 50th anniv. Sgt. Peppers...).

4. JM1979
    As someone who just purchased those Seimens tubes and currently runs the Amperex, your posts have me very excited for the Seimens to arrive.

5. LCMusicLover
    Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I spent my last round of eBucks on a pair of Siemens CCa tubes -- arriving end of week. After the eBucks I only had to pitch in another $60, so not too painful. eBucks aren't real money, right?

Hoping I'm not disappointed. I suspect that the difference E88CC vs CCa will be pretty small, so maybe I'll like both enough to treat them as interchangeable -- really like having more than one pair of my 'favorite' on hand.

6. Phantaminum
    They have the same Siemen’s sound but you’ll notice that the CCas pull more low level details and just sounds more powerful. I really enjoyed the E188CCs compared to either. The prices of NOS for E88CC tubes just keep climbing. :astonished:

7. chimney189
    This headphone does really well with Lo-Fi Hip-Hop, which really emphasizes isolation of the bass from other instruments.

JM1979 likes this.
  8. JM1979
    Completely agree. I love hip hop and reggae on this cans a lot.

ra990 likes this.
  9. nwavesailor
    If the CCa are as good as the hype, you will absolutely NEED a backup pair!!!!!!!!!

10. chimney189
    You guys owe it to yourself to listen to Dues Ex Mankind Divided [extended edition] OST .. the Ether 2 destroys this album. Oh, and turn the volume up :)

11. nwavesailor
    I believe the Garage 1217 Polaris is a SS amp. The Ember is hybrid and has similar output depending on tube used.

12. gtb75
    Well I'm part of the E2 crew now... Picked them up yesterday at Axpona! I also have both sets of the new pads coming once they start shipping. Anyway, they are breaking in on my 789 right now, but I look forward to listening to them on my Liquid Platinum soon :o2smile:

As for cheaper tube amps, the Ember seems to get good press (but I've never heard it). Dan says Cavalli amps are usually a good fit with his headphones, so the Massdrop CTH might also be a good fit. If you want to go even less expensive, I was really impressed by the "Chi-Fi" Loxjie P20 for $100 on Amazon. Shockingly good little amp, especially considering the price! The Liquid Platinum is incredible if you can swing it - a meaningful and significant step up from the Massdrop 789.

TSAVAlan likes this.
  13. MattTCG
    CTH is really impressive with ETHER 2 for a great budget pick.

gtb75 and Mkoll like this.
  14. TSAVAlan
    Nice! I really dig the E2 on a nice tube amp and you are looking at some nice amps to go with it!

I am rotating around 6 full size planars at home and always looking at more planars...

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
  15. gtb75
    I hope I'm all set on a tube amp for a while... I picked up a Liquid Platinum back in November - love it! I was just chiming in on the discussion a few posts up. As for the E2, it is my third Ether and I am definitely a planar fan. I was running Magnepan speakers long before I had planar headphones.

llcook51 and JM1979 like this.
First

Back
116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125
127 128 129
Next

Last