ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 8, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #1,831 of 3,207
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 8, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #1,833 of 3,207
I want to try both, but what if I end up preferring the original pads in the long run? They don't have the new elasticizer or whatever on it, so will they be easily reattachable?

The answer is probably. We plan to make the sticky sheets available separately to retrofit the original pads. Full disclosure that they are not foolproof to apply, if you don't align it right or create a crease the pad is shot. We're looking at ways to minimize potential problems.

That said, use the plastic sheet that keeps the pad clean to store your original headphone pads. The adhesive on them is generally good for 5-10 attachments so you can certainly go back with no issue, and apply the tacky sheet later if you wish. You can also store them on wax paper.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #1,834 of 3,207
The answer is probably. We plan to make the sticky sheets available separately to retrofit the original pads. Full disclosure that they are not foolproof to apply, if you don't align it right or create a crease the pad is shot. We're looking at ways to minimize potential problems.

That said, use the plastic sheet that keeps the pad clean to store your original headphone pads. The adhesive on them is generally good for 5-10 attachments so you can certainly go back with no issue, and apply the tacky sheet later if you wish. You can also store them on wax paper.

Thanks Dan!

One last question: the picture makes the suede pad's opening look the same size as the original pad. Is it just the perforated pad that has a larger opening, or is it both that are larger? Are they larger in surface area, or also deeper as well?

Also, in your future endeavors to make lighter and lighter headphones, what are your thoughts on a carbon fiber baffle plus full carbon fiber body for the cans?

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #1,835 of 3,207
Thanks Dan!

One last question: the picture makes the suede pad's opening look the same size as the original pad. Is it just the perforated pad that has a larger opening, or is it both that are larger? Are they larger in surface area, or also deeper as well?

Also, in your future endeavors to make lighter and lighter headphones, what are your thoughts on a carbon fiber baffle plus full carbon fiber body for the cans?

Both new pads have the same size larger ear hole. Same depth, more contact area = lower PSI.

Carbon wouldn't reduce the weight of our aluminum and really limits design choices, so carbon is used where it's structurally or acoustically advantageous but not everywhere.

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #1,836 of 3,207
Both new pads have the same size larger ear hole. Same depth, more contact area = lower PSI.

Carbon wouldn't reduce the weight of our aluminum and really limits design choices, so carbon is used where it's structurally or acoustically advantageous but not everywhere.

Ah, gotcha. Magnesium would be out of the question too?

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #1,837 of 3,207
Ah, gotcha. Magnesium would be out of the question too?

All materials have pros and cons. Mg is hard to finish as well as AL, and our baffle assemblies are so light there is almost no advantage to Mg.

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #1,838 of 3,207
OK, so as usual, some folk found the headphone bright others just right and some dark.

SO...

Our new detachable earpads are available for sale on our site and are expected to ship within four weeks. The earpads offer a different fit with a softer feel and a larger ear-hole, as well as two choices of voicing to complement the original pads.

We are offering a pre-order discount of $10 so they're only $79.99. Both detachable earpads are made with our carefully selected memory foam and have a slightly more generous ear hole (the larger hole will reduce perceived clamp for those looking for a softer fit). I do consider all three pads fit for general use but I have fun changing it up either "just because" or to achieve a specific effect.

-If you want the headphone a bit warmer, try the suede. I love it for electronica and rock; the suede pad delivers the same sub-bass as the stock pad and has a remarkably smooth top end.

-If you want a real audiophile voicing that sounds fantastic with vocals, strings, etc. check out the perforated pads. The perforated pads have about 3dB less sub-bass than stock but have a wonderfully coherent and smooth midrange, they're my go-to with acoustic and vocally-driven music.

Nice! Any chance we could see some frequency response graphs of the pads to compare?

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #1,839 of 3,207
honestly i don´t see h2 to drive ether 2.another thing h2 with an hedphone amp

even my H1 drive the ether 2...the IFI Micro DSD even though have more power, the difference is quiet clear, Hugo was a lot better0.

Power isnt everything, if your music isnt distorted up top or lacking in volume, then it just fine.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #1,840 of 3,207
I will try to come up with a few frequency response plots that makes some sense, not sure I’ll have time to do before I leave for a trade show. If not next week…

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #1,841 of 3,207
I bet that the suede pads would be extremely comfortable, but I don't think that I'd want to change the sound signature of these headphones.

I guess a frequency response graph would make this a much easier decision. These pads are pretty expensive. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,842 of 3,207
I bet that the suede pads would be extremely comfortable, but I don't think that I'd want to change the sound signature of these headphones.

I guess a frequency response graph would make this a much easier decision. These pads are pretty expensive. :frowning2:

Sure you do. :ksc75smile: Suede is quickly becoming my favorite. Softer, less clamp, seductively smooth. If you don't like 'em, put them up for sale and recoup most of your outlay of cash.

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #1,843 of 3,207
Sure you do. :ksc75smile: Suede is quickly becoming my favorite. Softer, less clamp, seductively smooth. If you don't like 'em, put them up for sale and recoup most of your outlay of cash.

At the cost of the headphone being even darker? I'm not sure.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,845 of 3,207
Yeah, I get it. There is a small risk that you wouldn't like the change. Suede I feel is the best complement to stock pads. It makes for a nice change. Only you can decide.
As much as I've been intrigued by the possibilities of the new pads, I'll hold off until someone reports back on swapping the stock pads off and back on. The notion that Mr Speakers would make extra adhesive sheets (which could be used with the stock pads) available with the new pads sounded appealing. But this message:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/page-123#post-14885882
...Full disclosure that they are not foolproof to apply, if you don't align it right or create a crease the pad is shot. We're looking at ways to minimize potential problems...
makes me very leery. I'm not unhappy with the stock sound, and the possibility that I might ruin the stock pads makes this a non-starter.

Nightmare scenario is that I spend $80 for new pads + $whatever for the adhesive sheet for the stock pads, swap out stock for the new pads, don't like them, try to reinstall the stock pads, ruin them, and then spend $whatever for a new set of stock pads.

Waiting :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back