ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 6, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #106 of 3,210
I feel like a lot people don't understand the R&D costs and other expenses required to make a new headphone from scratch while still turning a profit in order to fund further growth. Places like MrSpeakers and ZMF are small boutique shops. They are not multi-million dollar companies like Focal or Sennheiser. Yet they are still cheaper than a lot of the competition. (Utopia - $4k, LCD4 - $4k, HEK - $3k, Susvara - $6k.)

Does it suck it's not cheaper? Sure, but it is understandable and reasonable once you understand a little bit of the business/financial side of it. Nobody is forcing you to buy $2k headphones to get good sound. The budget minded consumer has more options today than they ever have in order to get excellent sound, big money not required. Hell, my hd580 probably gets 30% of my head time despite owning an HD800 and Auteur.

Could you provide some information upon what the HD580 does better than the Auteur?

In most Auteur review it's considered the all-around upgrade from the HD650. I'm curious in what could the HD580 could be superior to the Auteur.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #107 of 3,210
Could you provide some information upon what the HD580 does better than the Auteur?

In most Auteur review it's considered the all-around upgrade from the HD650. I'm curious in what could the HD580 could be superior to the Auteur.

I didn't say the hd580 was better in anything, but I still think it's a fantastic headphone and I use it all the time. I was making a point about how the budget audiophile has more choices today than ever in the history of audio. Since you asked I do think it's more comfortable but that's a given due to the differences in weight. I compared the Auteur to my hd650 quite a bit in my review of the Auteur if your interested in more info on that.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #116 of 3,210
Would it be possible to find out what the dimensions of the full cups are on these? Not just the pads, as was mentioned before in this thread. Particularly the width, as these would be used reclining with a pillow behind my head instead of sitting upright. Just want to make sure they wouldn't press against the pillow too much from being too large. For reference, the Fostex TH-900s are about as large as I can go before crossing that threashold.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #117 of 3,210
Looks like no sensitivity ratings yet. Should be fairly efficient though, I'll probably audition them with my Hugo 2 since the Hugo TT 2 is still at least 2 months away in the US.

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #118 of 3,210
Are the headphone cable connectors on Ether 2 the same as on Ether Flow?

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #119 of 3,210

Its the same VIVO cables that come in both the new E2 and EF 1.1

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #120 of 3,210
Looks like no sensitivity ratings yet. Should be fairly efficient though, I'll probably audition them with my Hugo 2 since the Hugo TT 2 is still at least 2 months away in the US.

A few dB les than ether Flow but fine with this gear.

Yes.

Its the same VIVO cables that come in both the new E2 and EF 1.1
yes

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back