ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #92 of 3,207
Ty, nice read.

How is the slam and body of the ether2?

Body of the Ether2 is very good, very rich and full and textured. You don't get the easily discernible textured layers of the Utopia so it does sound flat-ish with Ether2 but it's still very good to put on and sit down and just relax. I can't say much about the slam because of the noise around me, but you shouldn't expect the body-slam of the Audeze's headphones. The slam is there in moderate amount, I think.

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #96 of 3,207
Body of the Ether2 is very good, very rich and full and textured. You don't get the easily discernible textured layers of the Utopia so it does sound flat-ish with Ether2 but it's still very good to put on and sit down and just relax. I can't say much about the slam because of the noise around me, but you shouldn't expect the body-slam of the Audeze's headphones. The slam is there in moderate amount, I think.
I've owned three audeze headphones Ether 2 slams every bit as hard IMHO

Probably, seal is very important.

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #97 of 3,207
The Ether2 and Utopia are meant for two different kinds of people (or maybe two different kinds of listening mentality).

The first kind of people (I believe) is folks who listen in a holistic fashion, who care more about the music reproduction as a whole and who are more likely to enjoy a relaxed, smooth presentation. The second kind loves having details thrown into their face and enjoy listening to their blood boil as the music crests higher and higher still and love to be able to discern the tiniest thread that weaves the fabric of music.

The Ether2 is for the first kind, Utopia for the second. I am the second type, I can listen to the Utopia on my tube amp for hours without feeling fatigue.

The Ether2 has expansive sound stage and a midrange presentation that is rich and smoother than pretty much most of everything out there. It's very easy to get lost in the music. Its low end is good (though it's hard to make a judgment because the CANJAM floor is noisy and you can't listen to your own music in MrSpeaker's private listening room). The room is quiet(er), but no so much because people are always taking there too.

But if you go to that room, you will get to hear the Voce on BHSE and the Ether2 on HEadAmp's GS Mk2 ... and then you realize how ever so close the Ether2 comes to the Voce. Anyone who loves the HD650 would find the Ether2 the best thing they can buy in that price range.
How's the treble? Do they have a darker tint like Audeze's lineup? I can't get into their headphones because of the recessed upper mids & short treble (in the lower end models at least) so if this fixes both I might grab a pair. My collection needs a good planar in it. It'll be either this or the Abyss Diana (non-phi.)

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #98 of 3,207
How's the treble? Do they have a darker tint like Audeze's lineup?

I would not characterize the treble of the Ether2 as dark. I would say that while it's not as sparkly as the treble of the Utopia, it's very very neutral and clean. I actually don't like the treble of the Audeze headphones because to me they have an unnatural treble (especially when it comes to female vocals). I would go as far as saying that the treble of the Audeze headphones has a weird metallic sheen to it and often times I would think that the treble is unstable like a piece of glass on the verge of cracking. The treble of the Ether2 ain't like that. It's just neutral and effortless. I myself prefer the treble of the Utopia (I like the sparkliness a lot) but the Ether2 is something that has much wider appeal to audiophiles. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #99 of 3,207
Focal makes excellent monitors and speakers but the elear, clear, utopia trio was a disappointment for me too.

I wish i could go....

To both of you why didn't you like the focals?

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #100 of 3,207

For me there is just something about the way the sound is presented that I just didn't like. I tried all of them and the Ether Flow at the same time and just loved the Ethers instantly but never clicked with the Focal range, especially the Utopia which I found far too bright. If you listen to live music there is always decent amount of bass impact and I tend to find bright headphones are just unnatural due to this impact being missing (HD800, Utopia etc). Although to be honest no headphones will ever slam as well as speakers because you don't have the full body bass impact or the volume of air movement.

YMMV IMO all the usual caveats.

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #101 of 3,207
Hi Dan, do you know when ether2 will arrive in the UK and estimated price. Finally i use hugo2 and need to know the sensitivity of ether2 which i can't find anywhere? many thanks mk.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #102 of 3,207
I’m not surprised they’re $2k given the likely small production volume, significant R&D investment, etc. There’s just not that many people spending over $1K on headphones, no matter how good.

I ‘m not one of them either. I lack the affluence necessary. Fortunately, I haven’t reached that level of crazyness which would cause me to buy them and damn the consequences. Not yet anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #103 of 3,207
Unless you view them as an object that can give many years of pleasure and even be passed down the family chain.

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #104 of 3,207

I like neutrality, soundstage width, bass and separation. I found that the soundstage of those headphones were miniscule, the separation was slightly above average at best and that the drivers would give out long before what I would consider reasonable bass. Sure they were quick and dynamic, they absolutely have detail, but to my taste the Beyerdynamic T1 was better for all accounts for less money (although they are more fatigueing). Personally I think some people like the utopias for the price and nothing else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back