ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 25, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #3,047 of 3,208
I compared mine to the Vivo shown on The Dan Clark Audio website. Yep that's the one I got. So unless there's been a change to the conductors or something like that it seems mine is the same as the current ones
Mine has no left and right colours

Oct 29, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #3,048 of 3,208
Trying the headphone in these days. Mine arrived only with perforated pads. I read a lot about clamp pressure but, honestly, with my edition 5 le is the most confortable headphone i had in these years. Just the weight with high quality of materials and finishes is a big big goal for dca. About the sound i'm a little confused because from 2018 i use a closed headphone(despite a short period with hfm he6-se) so i need to understand better. Eventually about cables wich is best solution? Copper, silver or both? I ask because some people says that ether is a darker headphone but my opinion is different. Thanks...

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #3,049 of 3,208
Any great tube amp pairings for Ether 2 ? Thanks for any impressions.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #3,051 of 3,208
Has anyone found any improvements by swapping from the vivo cable to something.else?

Thankyou
I tried a WyWires Platinum -- no improvement to my ears.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #3,053 of 3,208
Bumping this thread to remind people that the Ether 2s with suede pads might be the biggest secret in headfi. Underrated, over-looked, and misunderstood giant slayers. Oh, and not really amp picky at all, as long as you give em 2-3 watts.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you like them? Sorry, I couldn't resist. If anybody out there has a pair of suede they would like to trade for a brand new pair of perforated please let me know

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #3,054 of 3,208
They sound like Meze Elite 1.5 with the suedes. Technically more proficient in every category than the Elites, except ss size. They sound very similar otherwise, but at their respective prices, especially used-a no brainer imo. I feel the dac/source is much more important for the E2s than the amp too-don't sell these short in that regard imo.

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #3,055 of 3,208
Bumping this thread to remind people that the Ether 2s with suede pads might be the biggest secret in headfi. Underrated, over-looked, and misunderstood giant slayers. Oh, and not really amp picky at all, as long as you give em 2-3 watts.
They sound like Meze Elite 1.5 with the suedes. Technically more proficient in every category than the Elites, except ss size. They sound very similar otherwise, but at their respective prices, especially used-a no brainer imo. I feel the dac/source is much more important for the E2s than the amp too-don't sell these short in that regard imo.
I've been a big E2 fan since I received them. They are my 'wear in bed at night' (and stay up too late listening) headphones.

That said, I wore out my stock pads and transitioned to perforated and really liked the effect. So much so that I haven't really auditioned the suede pads (which I picked up at the same time as the perf pads). I guess I have a project for the weekend.

As far as 'amp-picky', I wonder if that's more true with the suede pads installed than with stock. I recall that when I first got them, I very clearly preferred my Liquid Platinum over either of my SS amps (Violectric V280 and Bryston BHA-1). They weren't bad with the SS amps, but just gained more energy from the LP -- more lively if you will.

Also, they don't work at all with my BottleHead Crack due to impedance miss-match and insufficient current.

Overall, I agree with you -- at current used prices ($950? really?!?) they're a nearly unbeatable option. Competes with $250 HE-560 (from Adorama occasionally) as literally the best bang-for-buck headphone deal out there. Even at the more normal $1200 - 1300 they're a very good value.

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #3,056 of 3,208
I still prefer them most from my Studio B-more ss depth and of course a titch of vocal bloom that I like. I was more hinting that they aren't as power hungry as some have suggested-2-3 watts and you're good. Otls are generally a whole other story of course. The only things I preferred with the stock pads were the vocals seemed a tiny bit more romantic than on the suedes, but again at a rather large cost to resolution and ss, but thankfully not clarity. Oh and the stock pads were the only ones that gave me the clamp issue that many complained about-no such issue with the suedes for me.

As for the perforated pads well, not too beat a dead horse but, they made the E2 sound like an hd555...muted, smeared, major loss in resolution and clarity, ss sounded more confused than an hd800 out of an altoid box, etc etc. Was much like smearing vasoline over a 4k oled and still calling it hd...others who heard them felt exactly the same, and this was through 3 proper amps too.

Either way, with the suedes in place, I recently sold off my Meze Elite (wanna try the 109 tho), the AWKT, Adx5000, ESL R10, HD800, and Bryston Bha-1(killer hd800 ss amp I no longer needed) all because the E2 WITH SUEDES were besting the rest of these in most areas. Special shout out to the AWKT though-one of the most impressive cans when it came to resolution, microdetail, timbre, and bass texture which beat even the E2...I just couldn't get over the thudding in-your-head bass that so often ruins closed backs for me with few exceptions. Maybe I'll try em again someday with different pads.

My .02

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #3,058 of 3,208
I have the E2's and will try the suede pads. Any opinions of the HEDD cans?
I own both E2 and Hedds. Similar demands power-/current-wise -- Hedds need a bit more power, E2 more current. They're pretty different sounding though, for both being planars.

Both seem like 'fast' headphones to my ears.

With stock or perforated pads, E2 have more subdued highs -- I'll have to report back regarding E2 w/ suede vs Hedd.

Below the top octave, E2 seem more linear than Hedds, and E2 bass is both more well-defined/controlled and also more extended into sub-bass.

Hedds slam mid-bass more and mids are more prominent.

E2 is more of an all-arounder while Hedds are especially nice with crunchy guitars. Cranberries Zombie would be a good Hedd track. Also, I mostly prefer Led Zeppelin from Hedds -- a bit more screech from Plant, and Page's guitar screams more -- can seem a bit polite from Ether 2. Emma Ruth Rundle's Electric Guitar One becomes a tour de force from Hedds. Neil Young's recordings with Crazy Horse (e.g., Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, Live Rust) have tremendous 'grit' from Hedds. James Gang Rides Again is especially nice from Hedd.

On the other hand, there's lots of music where I would prefer Ether 2 for its linearity and excellent 3-d imaging -- most Loreena McKennitt, Ray LaMontagne & Cowboy Junkies are good examples.

Amusing personal history -- I purchased Empyrean a while back (~3 years ago?) and sort of liked them, but basically felt they were 'too far' from my preference for (relatively) neutral/linear/referencey sound. Eventually, I picked up a set of RAD-0 and preferred them, as closer to my tastes, and so sold my Empy. Then, most of year later, picked up a set of Hedds and ended up selling my RAD-0 (to the same guy I bought they from) because the RAD-0 were 'too close' to my other cans and the Hedds gave me a different 'arrow in my quiver'. Apparently the schizophrenia is strong with this one :)

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #3,059 of 3,208
Okay thanks. I think I would enjoy the HEDD's. Of course I would keep the E2's also. I'm trying to remember if the HEDD's had some quality control issues or maybe there is more than one version? Also I've heard they pair amazingly well with the Violectric V281 amp, which I already have

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #3,060 of 3,208
These do not appeal to the boom and tinkle set. If you turn up your bass shelf more than 5 db and/or think the HFM SE treble is flat - then move on.

The E2 has great tactile bass that is well damped - a real champ. Sometimes the highs seem muted - so tune them with equipment or EQ. Its the magneostatic version of the Voce which is an amazing estat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back