ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Feb 2, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #3,076 of 3,209
After a long hiatus, I have Ether 2's back in my stable. Boy, did i miss their incredible tone, detail and bass texture. What a great sounding headphone!

IMG_0172.jpg

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #3,077 of 3,209
After a long hiatus, I have Ether 2's back in my stable. Boy, did i miss their incredible tone, detail and bass texture. What a great sounding headphone!

IMG_0172.jpg
Every time I start to dismiss it and think of an upgrade I throw better amplification at it and it just eats it up and asks for more.... I just woke up and I am listening now as I type....

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #3,078 of 3,209
Every time I start to dismiss it and think of an upgrade I throw better amplification at it and it just eats it up and asks for more.... I just woke up and I am listening now as I type....
The Ether 2’s are great sounding headphones and fit right in with my other TOTL headphones. They may not be the ultimate in resolution or extracting every last detail in the music, but they more than make up for it in tone and musicality.

The Ether 2’s love clean power. I’m going to try them on my Dave/Head 2 later. Currently listening to them on the Soloist 3X GT with Mojo 2 as the DAC since I’ve sold my RME. Surprisingly, the Mojo 2 sounds and performs better.

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #3,079 of 3,209
The Ether 2’s are great sounding headphones and fit right in with my other TOTL headphones. They may not be the ultimate in resolution or extracting every last detail in the music, but they more than make up for it in tone and musicality.

The Ether 2’s love clean power. I’m going to try them on my Dave/Head 2 later. Currently listening to them on the Soloist 3X GT with Mojo 2 as the DAC since I’ve sold my RME. Surprisingly, the Mojo 2 sounds and performs better.
I just done 2 weeks on my now Farad powered Chord Anni... All burned in its still got that smooth tonality but now a huge up lift in detail 3D sound stage and lower bass response.. The Ether as I said just goes yer give me some more.....
I want Dan's latest but with all headphone manufacturers now average price the E2 has a lot of road left in it and a bit of a bargin..
Anni E2 was a bit too much of a soft sounding Combo and lost that Qutest DAC balance. Perfect for more detailed orthos I think .
The Farad supply has got me back and more with top end detail...lots of extra detail as well as the staging expanded...
Super happy with my Ether combo again...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #3,080 of 3,209

Bass volume is too weak for bassheads.

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #3,081 of 3,209
I just done 2 weeks on my now Farad powered Chord Anni... All burned in its still got that smooth tonality but now a huge up lift in detail 3D sound stage and lower bass response.. The Ether as I said just goes yer give me some more.....
I want Dan's latest but with all headphone manufacturers now average price the E2 has a lot of road left in it and a bit of a bargin..
Anni E2 was a bit too much of a soft sounding Combo and lost that Qutest DAC balance. Perfect for more detailed orthos I think .
The Farad supply has got me back and more with top end detail...lots of extra detail as well as the staging expanded...
Super happy with my Ether combo again...
Nice, I'm contemplating on adding the Farad power supplies to my Dave. Although it doesn't lack dynamics or resolution in stock form. The E2 straight out of the Dave is brillant. I need to do more listening with my setup to see what sounds the best. Soon I'll be adding the Cen.Grand Silver Fox amp to my collection, which I'm hoping is the last amp I need to buy for long time.

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #3,082 of 3,209
Bass volume is too weak for bassheads.
Haha, the E2 has great bass and texture, but it is not a bass heads headphone :)

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #3,083 of 3,209
Nice, I'm contemplating on adding the Farad power supplies to my Dave. Although it doesn't lack dynamics or resolution in stock form. The E2 straight out of the Dave is brillant. I need to do more listening with my setup to see what sounds the best. Soon I'll be adding the Cen.Grand Silver Fox amp to my collection, which I'm hoping is the last amp I need to buy for long time.
It's upping the DAC resolution seems the cheaper option with just the 5v.
How much better adding the -15+15 supply's I don't know. The Anni isn't symmetrical-+ . Not including DCS you can throw as much as a Dave and more just for a headphone amp these days....
I haven't seen anyone talk about just the amp improvement with the Dave upgrades with a stock 5v DAC and the improved Amp of the dave if that's possible....The fuses make a difference and yes about 500 hours for the Farad supply to finally settle.. You like what your use too... from what I've read.... you are in for a lovely suprise.... let us know how this makes the E2 sing..... Anni Qutest Farad it's not even the same thing anymore.... just fantastic....
I'll keep trying to the reach the limit of the E2...

Good luck
Regards
Dave 🙂 👍

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #3,084 of 3,209
I just swapped to suede pads after my perforated pads is no longer in good shape per image. I'd used it since 2019.
Initially I feel suede pads' sound is warmer with narrower stage than perforated. I prefer the latter's sound.

Does anyone find alternate perforated pads ( made of real leather ) for Ether 2?
I already searched and found in this forum that a user applied VC universal pad, but it does not perfectly fit.

I hope Dan continues to improve Ether series. I still prefer round full headphone shape.

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #3,085 of 3,209
Listening to my Ether 2s with ZMF Universe perforated lambskin pads as I read your post Ake-Y.

The slight size difference hasn't proved to be a problem over time and the ZMF pads, for me, have better feel and comfort and give the audio quality an uplift - though it's been so long since I listened to my Ether 2s with stock pads that I couldn't describe the difference. I'd be interested to try other ZMF pads on the Ether 2s, though there's really nothing that needs to be 'corrected'.

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #3,086 of 3,209
Listening to my Ether 2s with ZMF Universe perforated lambskin pads as I read your post Ake-Y.

The slight size difference hasn't proved to be a problem over time and the ZMF pads, for me, have better feel and comfort and give the audio quality an uplift - though it's been so long since I listened to my Ether 2s with stock pads that I couldn't describe the difference. I'd be interested to try other ZMF pads on the Ether 2s, though there's really nothing that needs to be 'corrected'.
How are you attaching the ZMF pads?

I love my Universe perf suede pads w/ my HE-560s. Also got Universe perf lamb w/ my Atrium, so interested to try both.

Feb 15, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #3,087 of 3,209
Feb 15, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #3,088 of 3,209
How are you attaching the ZMF pads?

I love my Universe perf suede pads w/ my HE-560s. Also got Universe perf lamb w/ my Atrium, so interested to try both.
Nothing fancy. Just some 'Prit Stick' type glue as we call it in the UK. They use it in schools a lot for children to stick paper. I've found it's sticky enough to hold the pads on firm, but not so sticky that anything is damaged if you pull them off. I imagine that the sticky ring that DCA use would be an even better solution. I've tried using double sided sellotape but that wasn't sticky enough.

I'd be very interested to hear of others experiences with third party pads - both practical and sonic.

Feb 16, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #3,089 of 3,209
I wonder whether current Ether 1 earpads ( Ether flat, Angled ) or VOCE earpads are compatible to Ether 2 in terms of size. If yes, I might buy them attached with 3M Double Sided Adhesive Tape.

Feb 16, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #3,090 of 3,209
I just swapped to suede pads after my perforated pads is no longer in good shape per image. I'd used it since 2019.
Initially I feel suede pads' sound is warmer with narrower stage than perforated. I prefer the latter's sound.

Does anyone find alternate perforated pads ( made of real leather ) for Ether 2?
I already searched and found in this forum that a user applied VC universal pad, but it does not perfectly fit.

I hope Dan continues to improve Ether series. I still prefer round full headphone shape.
I just replaced my original smooth leather pads with the suede. Sound seems more 3D to me. I feel it is a definite improvement over the originals. Comfort was a major improvement also. Might have to try the perforated too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back