ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Mar 8, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1,592 of 3,209
Always wanted to try out the chord gear On paper it seems a good match for Ether 2. Glad to hear that it's working for you.

Not just on paper, IMO. Having Mojo, Hugo2, and DAVE the headphones I reach for most with them are the ETHER Flow or ETHER C Flow. This compared to the Utopia which is great and punchy but can feel distracting rather than relaxing. I still love the Utopia, no complaints about FR or anything and at times I love its dynamic punch, but I actually find I listen to it much less than the ETHER Flows. The ETHER Flows just feel sooo right with the mentioned gear, to me, and Dan has tuned them very well IMO.

Given Dan’s overall design and tuning history I’m strongly considering the ETHER 2. Might sell off the LCD-2.2 and XC to help fund that.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #1,593 of 3,209
It's official, my Empyreans are up for sale and I'm keeping the Ether 2. They're one of the most natural sounding headphones I've come across yet. They do bass and mids right and differently from so many others I've heard. It's really addictive when you get used to its sound signature. The fit has also grown on me and I have been appreciating how secure they are on my head. That said, I will be eagerly waiting for those new ear pads to see what they bring in terms of comfort and sound.

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #1,594 of 3,209
I'm a very happy Ether Flow 1.0 and then upgraded to 1.1 owner myself who has been keeping tabs on the Ether 2.

As per the usual routine I've done the information overload runs searching this thread, youtube, reviews, etc. to try and get a ballpark feel about the differences someone could expect with all of the usual subjective caveats.

I certainly am interested in entertaining any more 1.1 vs 2 comparisons and anecdotes anyone feels like sharing. :)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose ears get a bit warm wearing these and I'm open to alternative ideas as long as they don't compromise the SQ too much. :wink:

Is there any idea yet on when these alternate earpads will be due out or at least what kind of ears pads they will be?

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #1,595 of 3,209
Hugo 2 + Ether 2 = Great 4 Ur Ears

I use the Ether 2 with a Hugo 2 or Sony TA-ZH1ES and it is great with either !

Straight out of the box they sounded great - I was expecting a little 'loosening up' but to me they are superb.

I feared they were too small for my rather large head but the pair I got are actually just right - unlike the demo pair I tried which were too tight.

The Ether 2 are sitting as my preferred listen when not needing extreme transparency. They are just as accurate as my Focal Clear and Utopia's but a more relaxing listen which is ideal.

I have Grado GS1000e and PS500e which are both great headphones and very light but they are being sold as I just can't see me ever using them with the others I have.

I am very pleased with my purchase indeed !

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #1,596 of 3,209
I'm a very happy Ether Flow 1.0 and then upgraded to 1.1 owner myself who has been keeping tabs on the Ether 2.

As per the usual routine I've done the information overload runs searching this thread, youtube, reviews, etc. to try and get a ballpark feel about the differences someone could expect with all of the usual subjective caveats.

I certainly am interested in entertaining any more 1.1 vs 2 comparisons and anecdotes anyone feels like sharing. :)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose ears get a bit warm wearing these and I'm open to alternative ideas as long as they don't compromise the SQ too much. :wink:

Is there any idea yet on when these alternate earpads will be due out or at least what kind of ears pads they will be?
I have both — EFO upgraded to 1.1.

I had been using the e-stat pads. It was hard to find the ‘right’ combination of inserts with them.

Here’s a brief compare I posted a while ago:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/page-83#post-14708557

If you provide a bit of detail about what you value (tonality, dynamics, headstage, bass/mids/treble, etc.) and genres/artists you listen to, I can help.

Note that I’m back to the Ether angled pads now.

Mar 9, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,597 of 3,209
I have both — EFO upgraded to 1.1.

I had been using the e-stat pads. It was hard to find the ‘right’ combination of inserts with them.

Here’s a brief compare I posted a while ago:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/page-83#post-14708557

If you provide a bit of detail about what you value (tonality, dynamics, headstage, bass/mids/treble, etc.) and genres/artists you listen to, I can help.

Note that I’m back to the Ether angled pads now.
Here’s a link to a more detailed EFO/E2 comparison I posted:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/page-61#post-14618709

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,598 of 3,209
Hello everyone,

Just wondering what amps you're using to power the Ether 2 - looking to purchase an alternative to the somewhat neutral Lyr 3 - ideally OTL but doesn't have to be - would prefer warmth.

Seperately, I think I might also be losing my mind a bit as I've been seriously considering this: the Leben CS300XS which features as no 1 on Skylab's tube amps but is ridiculously expensive (~£3,500 / ~$3,000) - is this complete madness?

Skylab's tube amps link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...2-tube-and-tube-hybrid-headphone-amps.402585/
Leben link: https://lebenhifi.com/products/cs300xs.html

Couple of questions on the Leben too - in the Leben CS300XS thread the manufacturer wrote to one of the posters saying that the Leben worked best with HPs above 20 ohms - I think the Ether 2s are just 16 - does anyone have a view on what effect might take place with too low ohms?

Separately, is anyone powering the E2s with any Woo Audio, Bottlehead or Eddie Current amps?

Thanks for any input.

MHM

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #1,599 of 3,209
Hello everyone,

Just wondering what amps you're using to power the Ether 2 - looking to purchase an alternative to the somewhat neutral Lyr 3 - ideally OTL but doesn't have to be - would prefer warmth.

Seperately, I think I might also be losing my mind a bit as I've been seriously considering this: the Leben CS300XS which features as no 1 on Skylab's tube amps but is ridiculously expensive (~£3,500 / ~$3,000) - is this complete madness?

Skylab's tube amps link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...2-tube-and-tube-hybrid-headphone-amps.402585/

Couple of questions on the Leben too - in the Leben CS300XS thread the manufacturer wrote to one of the posters saying that the Leben worked best with HPs above 20 ohms - I think the Ether 2s are just 16 - does anyone have a view on what effect might take place with too low ohms?

Separately, is anyone powering the E2s with any Woo Audio, Bottlehead or Eddie Current amps?

Thanks for any input.

MHM

OTL won't work well with ETHER 2 or really any planar magnetic headphones. Impedance mismatch in the worst way. If you want warmth and tubes (and looking to upgrade from the neutralish lyr 3, then consider:

1. Mjolnir 2 with tubes to flavor and match your preference (good dynamics and visceral punch)

2. Liquid Platinum (natural upgrade for lyr 3 owner with better tone and transparency)

3. From Woo Audio the WA22 might suite your needs but I think that the first two are better choices for less money.

You don't always have to spend lot's of money to get good sound.

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,600 of 3,209
It's official, my Empyreans are up for sale and I'm keeping the Ether 2. They're one of the most natural sounding headphones I've come across yet. They do bass and mids right and differently from so many others I've heard. It's really addictive when you get used to its sound signature. The fit has also grown on me and I have been appreciating how secure they are on my head. That said, I will be eagerly waiting for those new ear pads to see what they bring in terms of comfort and sound.

i agree, i am enjoying the sound signature on the E2 so much better than the Empyrean.

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,601 of 3,209
Mar 9, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #1,602 of 3,209
Hello everyone,

Thanks for any input.

MHM
I used an otl balanced amp with grado 32 ohm. Honestly i think 16 ohm of e2 is too much low for an otl amp. Follow another way

Mar 10, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #1,603 of 3,209
Broadly speaking you and I appear to have comparable priorities so that kind of post helps go a long ways to giving me some realistic insight. Chances are I'll be getting a pair in the near future and doing some A/B for myself. :wink:
I did a re-check of EFO 1.1 vs E2 last night — I stand by the comparisons in this post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/page-61#post-14618709

Might use stronger language in describing the treble differences. I listened to Loreena McKennitt’s ‘Night Ride Across the Caucasus’ and noted that a lot of the higher pitched percussion was significantly more recessed on EFO. And I get a definite sense of tilt away from highs on EFO. BTW, that’s why I liked EFO w/ the e-stat pads.

If I score my neutral sounding HEKv2 as ‘5’ and bass-tilted EFO as ‘1’, E2 score maybe ‘3.5’ or ‘4’. Of course, something like Nightowl might score about ‘-6’ on this scale, so don’t take the numbers to mean anything. I’m just trying to place the cans relatively on a ‘tonality continuum’.

Mar 10, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #1,604 of 3,209
OTL won't work well with ETHER 2 or really any planar magnetic headphones. Impedance mismatch in the worst way. If you want warmth and tubes (and looking to upgrade from the neutralish lyr 3, then consider:

1. Mjolnir 2 with tubes to flavor and match your preference (good dynamics and visceral punch)

2. Liquid Platinum (natural upgrade for lyr 3 owner with better tone and transparency)

3. From Woo Audio the WA22 might suite your needs but I think that the first two are better choices for less money.

You don't always have to spend lot's of money to get good sound.
I am using the E2 with the Liquid Platinum. heavenly combination. Clean, clear highs with a bottomless bass.

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #1,605 of 3,209
I did a re-check of EFO 1.1 vs E2 last night — I stand by the comparisons in this post:

Might use stronger language in describing the treble differences. I listened to Loreena McKennitt’s ‘Night Ride Across the Caucasus’ and noted that a lot of the higher pitched percussion was significantly more recessed on EFO. And I get a definite sense of tilt away from highs on EFO. BTW, that’s why I liked EFO w/ the e-stat pads.

If I score my neutral sounding HEKv2 as ‘5’ and bass-tilted EFO as ‘1’, E2 score maybe ‘3.5’ or ‘4’. Of course, something like Nightowl might score about ‘-6’ on this scale, so don’t take the numbers to mean anything. I’m just trying to place the cans relatively on a ‘tonality continuum’.
Interesting. Based on my brief listening on both cans using the stock pads. I found the EFO brighter than E2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back