ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Mar 10, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #1,606 of 3,207
@dan, once the new pads are available, would you encourage the dealers to install them on the demo pair, so that we can try them out?

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #1,607 of 3,207
Interesting. Based on my brief listening on both cans using the stock pads. I found the EFO brighter than E2
Not to my ears with my cans. And I hear the difference quite clearly. Both using Vivo cable. Using the angled pads on my EFO.

Have your EFOs been upgraded to 1.1? Which inserts are you using? Cable differences?

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #1,608 of 3,207
Not to my ears with my cans. And I hear the difference quite clearly. Both using Vivo cable. Using the angled pads on my EFO.

Have your EFOs been upgraded to 1.1? Which inserts are you using? Cable differences?
Let me double check with the dealer and give them another listen. It’s always good to validate what our ears can hear :) cheers!

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,609 of 3,207
Got the sample pads in and here are some quick impressions after an hour:

It’s nice to have choices, for a multitude of reasons. Mrspeakers now offers a choice of both suede and perforated pads to go along with the stock leather pads. These pads are designed to offer a signature that complements the stock pads. So for those of you who are looking for something a little different with ETHER 2 house sound and don’t care for EQ, you now have choices.

The perforated pads will bend the signature towards neutral with more of a “reference” sound. There is still a good dash of warmth from the original pad signature, but these will offer a new level of transparency. If you like fine detail, subtlety and sonic nuance, then this may be the pad for you. Sound stage is the best with these, pushing well off the shoulder for width and digs out depth cues very well creating a spacious musical platform.

The suede pads take a somewhat different approach. I’ll cautiously refer to these as the “basshead” pads (evil grin). Sub bass sounds punched up around 3 db or so (just a rough guess). But don’t be mistaken here, nothing in the signature is out of place. There is still a seamless transition from bass to mids with no bleed whatsoever. But damn, the bass really hits hard with these pads! There is a more intimate presentation of vocals and stage here.

While both perforated and suede feel softer than stock, the suede is the softest. Because the suede is the softest pad, it should offer less clamp for those who feel that clamp with the stock pad is too much.

So now there are three pad options with each offering a different flavor and are each compelling in their own way. It’s difficult to say which is my favorite. It’s in the early going but I have to say I’m drawn to the sound and comfort of the suede pads.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,611 of 3,207

It’s nice to have choices, for a multitude of reasons. Mrspeakers now offers a choice of both suede and perforated pads to go along with the stock leather pads. These pads are designed to offer a signature that complements the stock pads. So for those of you who are looking for something a little different with ETHER 2 house sound and don’t care for EQ, you now have choices.

The perforated pads will bend the signature towards neutral with more of a “reference” sound. There is still a good dash of warmth from the original pad signature, but these will offer a new level of transparency. If you like fine detail, subtlety and sonic nuance, then this may be the pad for you. Sound stage is the best with these, pushing well off the shoulder for width and digs out depth cues very well creating a spacious musical platform.

The suede pads take a somewhat different approach. I’ll cautiously refer to these as the “basshead” pads (evil grin). Sub bass sounds punched up around 3 db or so (just a rough guess). But don’t be mistaken here, nothing in the signature is out of place. There is still a seamless transition from bass to mids with no bleed whatsoever. But damn, the bass really hits hard with these pads! There is a more intimate presentation of vocals and stage here.

While both perforated and suede feel softer than stock, the suede is the softest. Because the suede is the softest pad, it should offer less clamp for those who feel that clamp with the stock pad is too much.

So now there are three pad options with each offering a different flavor and are each compelling in their own way. It’s difficult to say which is my favorite. It’s in the early going but I have to say I’m drawn to the sound and comfort of the suede pads.

Really looking forward to the pad options (especially the suede).

How do the pads get stored when they are not on the headphone? Some kind of wax paper, like the back of stickers or bandaid adhesive?

Curious if you have and/or tried the Estat pads on the E2s?

Keith

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,612 of 3,207

Thanks for the impressions. There's clearly a perforated set in my future.

Can you comment on the mechanics of swapping the pads, and also how you switch back to the stock pads?

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #1,613 of 3,207

How do the pads get stored when they are not on the headphone? Some kind of wax paper, like the back of stickers or bandaid adhesive?

Keith

You know, Dan will have to chime in on storage of the pads. I forgot to ask. I guess that the laminate that you peel off before applying the pads could be used to cover up for storage purposes.

I have not tried the estat pads on e2.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #1,614 of 3,207
Thanks for the impressions. There's clearly a perforated set in my future.

Can you comment on the mechanics of swapping the pads, and also how you switch back to the stock pads?

I was a little nervous about the changeover procedure TBH. I was skeptical about removing my stock pads that I am quite fond of I suppose. Turns out there was no reason to worry. To get the stock pads off you simply pinch the bottom of the pad around the seam (near the connector) and gently pull to get the pad to start releasing. After I got about an inch clear, I took a bigger pinch of the pad and continued to remove it. Then taking the new pad, remove the laminate from the backing. Put the seam at the bottom near the connector. Be sure that the ENTIRE pad is withing the circumference of the cup and then push it down very flat being sure to get a good tight seal. That's about it.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,615 of 3,207

Keith
I have the e-stat pads for my EFO. I wonder if you could put them (or any EFO style pads) on the E2s. I assume the E2 pads are flat on the underside, while the EFO pads have the 'flaps' used to attach them. Seems like it might be hard to make the elastomer ring work on them.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,616 of 3,207
I have the e-stat pads for my EFO. I wonder if you could put them (or any EFO style pads) on the E2s. I assume the E2 pads are flat on the underside, while the EFO pads have the 'flaps' used to attach them. Seems like it might be hard to make the elastomer ring work on them.

I don't think that the pads that stretch over the ring would work well. There is a lip on the ETHER 2 cup that curves towards the inside to create the "bowl" that allows you to perfectly position the pads.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #1,617 of 3,207

Thanks for the initial impressions: most helpful.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #1,618 of 3,207
While I didn't have any comfort issues with the stock ETHER 2 that some have experienced, I will say that with the suede pads I do notice that the headphones feel more comfortable...softer and gentler fit. There is a little less clamp and rim of the pad does not push as firmly under the ear and across the jaw. The fit is now a bit looser for me but still within the acceptable range.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #1,619 of 3,207
Seems like suede pads for me :D

But I'll likely get both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back