ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #1,621 of 3,202
Not that anyone would even ask, but the pad change add 4 grams total the curb weight of the e2. So 294 grams.

I'm getting better at swapping the pads now. It helps if you take the bottom seam and center it to the connector just below it. Then smoosh the pad flat against the table or your hand. Don't forget the seal is critical.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,622 of 3,202
Can anyone compare the Ether 2 to the HEKv2?
I've edited my original response to your request to reflect how I hear these two sets with my Liquid Platinum:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/page-69#post-14662157

Note that there are several posts after that which attempt to clarify my muddled thoughts.

I can add that, to me, E2 is more engaging and immersive with some music while HEK tends to be a more relaxed listen. I prefer the E2 for most music which emphasizes vocals. But overall, it's a pretty close call -- E2 is much closer to HEK than to (say) my Auteur.

What else, specifically, would you like to know?

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #1,623 of 3,202
I've edited my original response to your request to reflect how I hear these two sets with my Liquid Platinum:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/page-69#post-14662157

Note that there are several posts after that which attempt to clarify my muddled thoughts.

I can add that, to me, E2 is more engaging and immersive with some music while HEK tends to be a more relaxed listen. I prefer the E2 for most music which emphasizes vocals. But overall, it's a pretty close call -- E2 is much closer to HEK than to (say) my Auteur.

What else, specifically, would you like to know?

How is the bass impact? I find the HEKv2 to be a bit too soft for my liking. I'd like more punch, liveliness. Also, I noticed that you commented on how the Ether 2 has more upper-mid/lower treble energy while the HEKv2 has more upper-treble energy -- do vocals ever become sibilant or strident with the Ether 2? Which headphone can you turn up the volume more without experiencing as much fatigue?

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #1,624 of 3,202
Can anyone compare the Ether 2 to the HEKv2?

Ether 2 is warmer, punchier, and notes are thicker/have more body to them. You get weight behind instruments.

HEKV2 has a much wider sound stage, more air between instruments, and has lighter presentation.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #1,625 of 3,202
Oh gosh.. I'm finding that the more I spend on this hobby that the less satisfied I become.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #1,626 of 3,202
Oh gosh.. I'm finding that the more I spend on this hobby that the less satisfied I become.

Trying to find the “one” to rule them all? :)

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #1,627 of 3,202
Trying to find the “one” to rule them all? :)

Yes, and then I recently bought a Thinksound On2 for just over $100 and realized that there is no way in this entire universe that the HEKv2 is worth even $1,000 more.
I've tried the multiple desktop headphone route, but it always end in wanting to just own 1 headphone for my desktop. I want an all-around headphone.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,628 of 3,202
Classical music w/perf pads=yummy. I love the way the violin sounds in the upper register using these pads. Stringed instruments dance effortlessly with very good extension. Not sure that I need my hd800 for classical anymore.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #1,629 of 3,202
Yes, and then I recently bought a Thinksound On2 for just over $100 and realized that there is no way in this entire universe that the HEKv2 is worth even $1,000 more.
I've tried the multiple desktop headphone route, but it always end in wanting to just own 1 headphone for my desktop. I want an all-around headphone.

Good luck. I’m on the same journey except our paths fork. I was looking for one dynamic (found it) and one planar.

Down to the last two planars that I’ve wanted to try and then I’ll be hanging up my hat in a week or so.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #1,630 of 3,202
How is the bass impact? I find the HEKv2 to be a bit too soft for my liking. I'd like more punch, liveliness. Also, I noticed that you commented on how the Ether 2 has more upper-mid/lower treble energy while the HEKv2 has more upper-treble energy -- do vocals ever become sibilant or strident with the Ether 2? Which headphone can you turn up the volume more without experiencing as much fatigue?
I really like the E2 bass -- more impactful. To me, HEK bass is like all the rest of its sound sig -- neutral, but a bit laid-back. I wouldn't say 'lifeless' but definitely 'less energetic'.

I've never heard the E2 seem sibilant.

Nor do I find either set of cans fatiguing, although, I suppose the HEK might be less likely to become fatiguing with more volume, a different chain, difficult material, due to its more laid-back presentation.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #1,631 of 3,202
Good luck. I’m on the same journey except our paths fork. I was looking for one dynamic (found it) and one planar.

Down to the last two planars that I’ve wanted to try and then I’ll be hanging up my hat in a week or so.

I'm curious, which ones?

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,632 of 3,202

My path is to find a best headphone in terms of technicality, then use EQ/plug-in software to target a flat FR. From my experience, the flat FR is the best and most mesmerizing to my ears.
@mrspeakers , could you also make Sonarworks plug-in available for Ether 2 like AFC and AFO?

I found that they are amazing with Audeze headphones. Their headphones sounded pretty bad initially, but with the plug-in enabled, their sounds become truly exceptional to the extent to which I can understand why many audio pros use them. But the issue is that they are too heavy (600g+). Their weight is no joke.

I guess planar headphones respond to EQ more effortlessly than dynamic headphones. So my guess is that it may work as well with the Ether 2.
That doesn't mean that I think the Ether 2 sounds bad without EQ like some Audeze headphones. I think the Ether 2 sounds great without any EQ plug-in. But it would be a great customer service to make another sound profile easily available. Audeze offers Reveal plug-in in addition to Sonarworks plug-in.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #1,633 of 3,202

FWIW, if I had to choose two pairs (one planar, one dynamic) out of all the headphones that I own or have heard, I'd pick the Vérité and ETHER 2.

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #1,634 of 3,202
Really looking forward to the pad options (especially the suede).

How do the pads get stored when they are not on the headphone? Some kind of wax paper, like the back of stickers or bandaid adhesive?

Curious if you have and/or tried the Estat pads on the E2s?

Keith

It's easy, the detachable pads come with a plastic backing to keep them clean. You simply put that back on for storage. I actually find it convenient to place 2 pads on the same plastic sheet, keeps them together for storage.

I have the e-stat pads for my EFO. I wonder if you could put them (or any EFO style pads) on the E2s. I assume the E2 pads are flat on the underside, while the EFO pads have the 'flaps' used to attach them. Seems like it might be hard to make the elastomer ring work on them.

There's no way today to go from our original mounting system to the new design.

I feel your pain. But it always motivates us to keep on doing new, fun stuff. It's pretty amazing how much better gear is now than 10 years ago, it's a different universe.

Classical music w/perf pads=yummy. I love the way the violin sounds in the upper register using these pads. Stringed instruments dance effortlessly with very good extension. Not sure that I need my hd800 for classical anymore.

Yeah, jazz, vocal and classical really shine with these.

The stock and suede pads are good all arounders, but the suede is pretty stellar with electronica and rock, including older, brighter recordings.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 11, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #1,635 of 3,202
Dan, are you going to have the pads to buy on CanJam Singapore? I'm definitely want to get both right away if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back