ESW10 - The Best Portable?
Jan 3, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #31 of 97

Quote:
The Ed 8 is on a totally different league, difficult even to compare.  I have to admit i like the ESW9 with the HM-801 it is a great match but hooking the Ed 8 in is like having a home system, bass and fullness of sound not at all like having the compromise of a portable rig.  Also the earcups completely surround you ear instead of sitting on top of them which further accentuates the fullness.  I did the comparison a while back before going out of the country over Thanksgiving.  It was right after I got the Ed8 and decided to leave it home due to Central America theft fears.  Otherwise i use the Ed8 at home if it is noisy or as a portable. So haven't really done a recompare again it is just what i remember-pre Thanksgiving.  

Sounds good. I am ordering my T5Ps now and if I do not like them Z1000 is the next step. If that does not work Ed8 will have to be next. The main fault I find with it as a portable headphone is that is is extremely flashy and might draw too much attention while used as portable and that is the main purpose of buying phones for me here.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #32 of 97
Yeah but i finally came to the conclusion that no body knows what they are.  For all they know they are cheap and definitely not Dr. Dre beats so who would even bother to steal them.  They are probably just a flashy hundred dollar model that don't even sound good.  Nobody would guess that the ED8 LE retail for two grand out on the streets unless they are here, and what percentage is that?

Also, if find it is cheaper just to jump to the top tier and avoid having to wonder or sell off the road upward.  I learned that early on so i don't have to big of a collection of half way stuff, happily.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #33 of 97

Quote:
Yeah but i finally came to the conclusion that no body knows what they are.  For all they know they are cheap and definitely not Dr. Dre beats so who would even bother to steal them.  They are probably just a flashy hundred dollar model that don't even sound good.  Nobody would guess that the ED8 LE retail for two grand out on the streets unless they are here, and what percentage is that?

Also, if find it is cheaper just to jump to the top tier and avoid having to wonder or sell off the road upward.  I learned that early on so i don't have to big of a collection of half way stuff, happily.

I have the same thing in mind. At the same time all the top-tier phones are different and buying one does not mean they will be the right ones for me :)

I also am new to this and would like to try more headphones to see what I really like/ do not like.

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #34 of 97
The esw10 right now seems to me like its a few steps behind the Edition 8.  The problem is that if you prefer a warmer, darker tone, the audio technicas might make you a lot happier than the Edy8s, where as if you enjoy the much larger stage but a more cold presentation, the Ultrasones might be for you.  Also, the Edition 8s are much more comfortable, at least on my ears anyway.  I wish I could afford one of my own heh, I get to demo it now and then when I take trips to Chicago, I usually stop at a buddies house and sit there for a while listening to it hehe

its definitely my favorite closed back set ever, but jeez thats too expensive for me ;P

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #35 of 97

Quote:
The esw10 right now seems to me like its a few steps behind the Edition 8.  The problem is that if you prefer a warmer, darker tone, the audio technicas might make you a lot happier than the Edy8s, where as if you enjoy the much larger stage but a more cold presentation, the Ultrasones might be for you.  Also, the Edition 8s are much more comfortable, at least on my ears anyway.  I wish I could afford one of my own heh, I get to demo it now and then when I take trips to Chicago, I usually stop at a buddies house and sit there for a while listening to it hehe

its definitely my favorite closed back set ever, but jeez thats too expensive for me ;P

Not a very big fan of cold sound. I liked the warmish sound of ESW9s but they were too warm and not enough detailed after some time and that is the reason I am searching for something else. I liked ESW9s and thus thought ESW10s would be the perfect successor with more detail, tighter bass and less coloration.

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #37 of 97

Quote:
I prefer the sound too, but I would much rather have a vast, immersing stage that is one the cold side than a tiny warm stage in the Esw10 or 9

SS is not as important for Rock or Metal as for other genres like Classical, so it is not a priority for me. Of course I would prefer good SS over poor SS.

I read people say Ed8 is good for SS, but T5P got good mark in a review from Drew Baird from MoonAudio.

Sony Z1k is said not to be too good in this department though. The price difference between Ed8 and Z1k is a big one though and I could accept a 10% worse sound for 60-70% lower price.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #38 of 97
I've never heard anyone say that before.  What good is great audio clarity if it is a 2d experience that is both short and skinny?

lol...SS is vital to all music genre.  

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #39 of 97

Quote:
I've never heard anyone say that before.  What good is great audio clarity if it is a 2d experience that is both short and skinny?

lol...SS is vital to all music genre.  

We are talking about two different situations here. I meant ok soundstage and not total lack of soundstage that you are talking about. I will prefer an ok SS with the perfect sound signature and great sound stage with sound signature I do not like.

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #40 of 97

Quote:
The esw10 right now seems to me like its a few steps behind the Edition 8.  The problem is that if you prefer a warmer, darker tone, the audio technicas might make you a lot happier than the Edy8s, where as if you enjoy the much larger stage but a more cold presentation, the Ultrasones might be for you. 

confused_face(1).gif
The ED8 sounds warmer to me than the ESW9.  

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #41 of 97

Quote:
Quote:
The esw10 right now seems to me like its a few steps behind the Edition 8.  The problem is that if you prefer a warmer, darker tone, the audio technicas might make you a lot happier than the Edy8s, where as if you enjoy the much larger stage but a more cold presentation, the Ultrasones might be for you. 

confused_face(1).gif
The ED8 sounds warmer to me than the ESW9.

ews10s are definitely darker sounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back