ESW10 - The Best Portable?
Apr 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #91 of 97
I have the ESW-9's, the ESW-10's, the T-1's, and the T50p's. It's not a fair comparison, but the T-1's trump them all. Next come  the ESW-10's, the T50P's, and then the ESW-9's, then the ESW-7's (which are in a different league, altogether).

The T-1's need to be amped and are a top tier full-size headphone. The ES-7's are lacking in bass and are "plasticky" compared to the rest of the ES/W line. The 10's are more refined than the 9's. The T50P are more closed and have a less refined sound than the ESW-9's and 10's, but they are still a damn good phone, especially for the price.

However, when it comes down to the "desert island, 1 headphone" pick, I still feel that the UE-10's and the JH-13's blow all of them off of the choice table, including the T-1's. They don't need to be amped, offer superior ambient noise cancellation, and overall, are much better sounding headphones. And they cost less than the T-1's. Also, going back to the OP, the UE-10's and the JH-13's are far more portable than the ESW-10's and 9's.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #92 of 97
Quote:
I have the ESW-9's, the ESW-10's, the T-1's, and the T50p's. It's not a fair comparison, but the T-1's trump them all. Then the ESW-10's, the T50P's, and then the ESW-9's, then th ESW-7's.

Really? I didn't like the T1s at all. The sound is nowhere similar to the ESWs... It's piercing.

I did hear the ES10 and I owned the ESW10JPN (i gave it to my girlfriend). The don't really sound similar I think. The ESW10JPN is brighter, though it's not a bright headphone.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #93 of 97
The T-1's are piercing? If anything, the general consensus here on Head-Fi, is that they are a bit rolled off in the upper register.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #94 of 97
Quote:
The T-1's are piercing? If anything, the general consensus here on Head-Fi, is that they are a bit rolled off in the upper register.

confused.gif
  I don't know what to say to that. I guess you can consider me the exception then
tongue.gif

I felt the T1's bass was weak and the mid recessed. I mostly heard treble.

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #95 of 97
I have had my fair share of open/closed cans over the years, and for some odd reason I can't seem to get rid of my ESW-10s.  I even purchased a pair of ED8 amped through a Dacport and despite being more technically proficient than the ESW10 out of my ipod, I still preferred the later.  The thing that bugged me about the ED8 is that the large soundstage artificially brought vocals a little too far back to me.  In comparison, the ESW10 are very intimate headphones with very little soundstage...but they truly have a unique sound signature that I can't find anywhere else.  I am officially never selling them :)

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #96 of 97
As for the T1s...i never really cared much for them and they need to be amped properly to sound any good.  Plus they are open, so i couldn't listen to them at the office.  ESW10 on the other hand sound just perfect out of my iphone 3G.

May 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #97 of 97
Been listening to my ESW10s for a few days now. I really noticed a difference with my Burson HA-160D and not much with my Stepdance. They are simply nowhere near the quality of my Beyerdynamic T5ps. Not as neautral, not as detailed and soundstage not too big. For music it is good enough as a portable phone, while it is not very good with movies - T5ps  are excellent for that with the great positioning and wide soundstage. I am not sure I am going to keep my ESW10s for a long time. Will think about selling them in 2 months and trying DT1350s next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back