ESW10 - The Best Portable?
Dec 9, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #16 of 97

Quote:
Haha, I am buying the ESW10s and I will see how that goes. If I do not like them I will sell them and get something else :)

I like my MX980s and they are pretty neutral.

Let us know how it goes. I am thinking of buying a portable headphone soon, so, it'll be interesting to know the comparison between ESW10 and ESW9... or at least, yet another impression.
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #18 of 97
ES-10 has nice punch to the bass and extends really low, but only when the music calls for them.  It's not bassy and loose like some headphones out there, but clear and tight.  I would say the ES-10 is more well balanced with lush sounds in all frequencies.  I just thought the ESW-9 bass was a bit sloppy and muffled the other sounds because of this, hence I didn't get it.  Personally, I think the ES-10 is a clearer sounding ESW-9 which is great for all types of music from rock to jazz to hip-hop.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 97
It probably is an upgrade over ESW9s, but I am not planning to buy these, but upgrade from them, so we should only be comparing ES10 and ESW10.

From waht I know ESW10 has much better quality bass and much more detail. ES10 was advertised as solid bass and that is why I am a bit hesitant.

Quote:
ES-10 has nice punch to the bass and extends really low, but only when the music calls for them.  It's not bassy and loose like some headphones out there, but clear and tight.  I would say the ES-10 is more well balanced with lush sounds in all frequencies.  I just thought the ESW-9 bass was a bit sloppy and muffled the other sounds because of this, hence I didn't get it.  Personally, I think the ES-10 is a clearer sounding ESW-9 which is great for all types of music from rock to jazz to hip-hop.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 97
i have heard both and definitely es10 has bigger better and faster bass than esw10. the latter is more suited for jazz and classical while the former is for hip hop/electronic music

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 97
I also agree to say that the ES10 has a bigger and faster bass, but not necessarily better. I find the ESW10 bass to be better suited to classical music or jazz than the one from the ES10 : it is rounder, slight more "noble" in tone.
Also the ESW10 mids are to me slightly better than the ones from the ES10 (though I personally dislike both their upper midrange forwardness) : a bit more liquid, and voices are definitely better to me. However, that slightly more "grainy" caracteristic from the ES10 can be real good for rock.
Trebles sounded very close to me.
I also think that while the ES10 is a bit wider and imaging slightly more precise, the ESW10 handled echo / decay and reverb effects more convincingly.

One thing to note is that the ES10 build quality is superior and there's no need to constantly worry about scratched cups.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #22 of 97
Thanks for your inshights. I looked at ES10s some time ago and reading the info on the net and on this website I decided they wre not for me.

Quote:
I also agree to say that the ES10 has a bigger and faster bass, but not necessarily better. I find the ESW10 bass to be better suited to classical music or jazz than the one from the ES10 : it is rounder, slight more "noble" in tone.
Also the ESW10 mids are to me slightly better than the ones from the ES10 (though I personally dislike both their upper midrange forwardness) : a bit more liquid, and voices are definitely better to me. However, that slightly more "grainy" caracteristic from the ES10 can be real good for rock.
Trebles sounded very close to me.
I also think that while the ES10 is a bit wider and imaging slightly more precise, the ESW10 handled echo / decay and reverb effects more convincingly.

One thing to note is that the ES10 build quality is superior and there's no need to constantly worry about scratched cups.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #23 of 97
Im in the same boat here, Im in a stressful dilemma and am torn between some of the top portables.  My concern is stage size and overall clarity.  I really don't care much about bass quantity so much as quality.  But, Im torn between paying an astronomical amount for the Edition 8 which i couldnt take outside and defeats the purpose of buying portable sets to begin with, vs something like the esw10.  

I wish audio technica would make a slightly larger version of the esw10 with full size pads :\

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #24 of 97

Quote:
Im in the same boat here, Im in a stressful dilemma and am torn between some of the top portables.  My concern is stage size and overall clarity.  I really don't care much about bass quantity so much as quality.  But, Im torn between paying an astronomical amount for the Edition 8 which i couldnt take outside and defeats the purpose of buying portable sets to begin with, vs something like the esw10.  

I wish audio technica would make a slightly larger version of the esw10 with full size pads :\

I am searching for portable cans too. I will be buying Beyerdynamic T5Ps in a few days and will have a chance to listen to them in a month. What I am also planning to try is a pair of Sony Z1000.

I have been trying to get hold of a pair of ESW10s but there is not way to buy them and I think I will just buy soe other stuff and in the mean time see if I can get ESW10s.

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 97

Quote:
Let us know how it goes. I am thinking of buying a portable headphone soon, so, it'll be interesting to know the comparison between ESW10 and ESW9... or at least, yet another impression.
tongue.gif

Hard to get ESW10s so I am not sure I will ever get them.

Quote:
You can always sell the mx980 to me to help fund it!!! :)

I will see as soon as I receive and test CK10s I bought :)

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #28 of 97
I decided to go for the Ed8's instead and yes i do use them out and about.......they're portables right?  I have the esw9 and i understood that the difference was not so extreme to have them both so i went for the big jump and it is a huge difference between the esw9 and the Ed8.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #29 of 97

Quote:
I decided to go for the Ed8's instead and yes i do use them out and about.......they're portables right?  I have the esw9 and i understood that the difference was not so extreme to have them both so i went for the big jump and it is a huge difference between the esw9 and the Ed8.

Could you give us a quick comparison between ESW9 and ED8? I used to have ESW9s and sold them in order to upgrade to something better. Since I want to use it as portable Ed8 seems a bit flashy.

I will test T5Ps when I get them at the end of January and also Z1000s which seem to gain more and more popularity and if neither works for me I will try to go with Ed8.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #30 of 97

Quote:

Quote:

Could you give us a quick comparison between ESW9 and ED8? I used to have ESW9s and sold them in order to upgrade to something better. Since I want to use it as portable Ed8 seems a bit flashy.

I will test T5Ps when I get them at the end of January and also Z1000s which seem to gain more and more popularity and if neither works for me I will try to go with Ed8.

The Ed 8 is on a totally different league, difficult even to compare.  I have to admit i like the ESW9 with the HM-801 it is a great match but hooking the Ed 8 in is like having a home system, bass and fullness of sound not at all like having the compromise of a portable rig.  Also the earcups completely surround you ear instead of sitting on top of them which further accentuates the fullness.  I did the comparison a while back before going out of the country over Thanksgiving.  It was right after I got the Ed8 and decided to leave it home due to Central America theft fears.  Otherwise i use the Ed8 at home if it is noisy or as a portable. So haven't really done a recompare again it is just what i remember-pre Thanksgiving.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back