End all "Which gaming headphones" Thread
Jul 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #92 of 142
This thread is already a mess, but I guess that's going to happen in any "be all end all" thread. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though
smily_headphones1.gif

My large two cents:

1. Gaming headphones have to do two things very well. They have to be incredibly detailed, and they have to work extremely well with the positional audio algorithms the computer is using to imitate a 3D soundfield.

2. Regarding the soundfield, generally when you set up you sound card to process 3D audio, you give it "hints" as to what your speaker configuration is like. The two that are relevant to us are "stereo speakers" and "headphones." We are going to have to pick one of these two.

2a. The two sound settings above correlate roughly to the "classic" headphone soundstage (i.e. GET OUT OF MY HEAD) and near-field monitors.

2c. Thus, any headphone that produces a soundstage that does not emulate one of those closely is not optimal for gaming.

I haven't had many headphones in my collection, and haven't had a chance to audition many in a gaming environment, however from my limited exposure I have to say that most headphones that are geared to audiophiles are not good for gaming because of (2b), their unique soundstages are not conducive to the algorithms being used for to process 3D audio.

I would also say that closed headphones generally seem better because not only do they keep out background noises, which helps resolve detail, but they emulate the soundstages we are interested in much closer then open headphones do.

Now, the three headphones I know best, SR-125's, HD600's, and the V6. I used to be a semi-pro gamer back in college and still play quite a bit. I know these headphones in and out when it comes to gaming.

1. The SR-125's are horrible. Back in college when I switched between these and the V6's, my clanmates would notice. Their sound signature is excellent for picking up audio cues, but their soundstage is absolutely horrible for resolving where they are coming from. I can resolve front, back, left, and right -- but anything more specific is murky.

2. Sony MDR-V6. I love these for gaming, and still use them. Their soundstage is not conducive at all for music -- they put it right in your head -- but this is perfect for positional audio. I can resolve sounds extremely accurately using these headphones. Their reputation as studio monitors is well earned, they are also excellent at revealing audio cues as well.

3. The HD600's. People say these are excellent headphones for gaming. They might be compared to the competition at the pricepoint. They just don't compare to the V6's though. They do let me resolve the soundstage much more accurately then the SR125's and they certainly are more then adequate for reproducing audio cues, but they're just not as good as the V6 for spatial resolution.

I've never head the AKG or DT phones, so I cannot comment on those. I've been sorely tempted to try them but since I am not very interested in their musical qualities my wallet has kept them at bay.

At the next headfest, I am so tempted to bing down a shuttle box and go around with some gamers and audition various phones. This question has been up in the air for way too long.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #93 of 142
HD555 plus xfi with simulated surround sound = basically cheating in counter strike source.

it rocks.

it's also insanely comfortable (forget you have it on alot) and cheap (109.99 on newegg)

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #94 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzuka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HD650 were huge step up from HD280 for FPS. I play FEAR mp.

cans arent going to help miuch in a game where everone binds crouch to their scrollwheel.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #95 of 142
AKG 601s and 701 do well for positioning and detail as to distance. I have a pair of 601s with Blue Dragon recable and it does very well. I tried the 701 previously and yes it's extends more and has a bit bigger soundstage and more separation.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #96 of 142
I'm down to these 2 sets, and am split down the middle trying to decide which to get.

If the quality drop from ad900 to 700, and d2000 to 1000 isn't that big, I might grab one of the lower tier cans as well.

So d2000 or ad900?

Aug 3, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #97 of 142
This is my first time posting but I also came Semi-Professional gaming. I've competed at multiple CPL's, WCG's, and countless LANs. I have to agree with Chu's post. I also wanted to point out a major flaw in this thread; what people's concepts of good gaming headphones are. This all depends on how competitive you are. The two conceptions of what a gaming headphone is required to do are:

1) Casual gamer - Clear and realistic sound details, with an excellent soundstage. Deep bass for explosions. Warm and realistic tone.

2) Competitive gamer - Absolutely the clearest, finest, details with the broadest sound stage possible reproducing every single sound there is to hear, and as much as possible. Minimal bass, the bass should just be enough to sound somewhat realistic, without dampening out any details. Sometimes can sound very artificial to exaggerate those details.

2b) Professional - you will be at LANs, there will be screaming, you won't hear a thing. You need the details as well as closed headphones to isolate all that sound and create the soundstage as much as possible. Believe me, it isn't fun hearing Swedish screams while you're listening for footsteps.

I think you need to be clear on what you want in a set of headphones. And recommendations should come based on that.

I've quit gaming now but I dabble every now and then. I'm more focused on finding the perfect headphones for music, hard rock, alternative, metal, pop, some rap, acoustic. I don't listen to any jazz or classical so unlike some audiophiles I'd rather get more lowed instead of that ultra crisp high end. But at the same time comfortable for long periods, and an excellent soundstage with very clear highs for the occasional game.

Any ideas? I'm thinking HD600 , A900

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #98 of 142
Chronos, if you want really good positioning with a closed headphone you should look into the Proline 750.

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #100 of 142
alright, i'm down to 3 choices. the hd 555, a700 and ad700.

which should i get? usage: FPS gaming and movies, music last. i don't need noise isolation because it's only me and my mum in my home. just want the sound quality and performance..

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #101 of 142
i game exclusively with the k501- positioning is excellent, and the bass isn't too much

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #102 of 142
I would say if youre gonna make a end all be all post about gaming things need to be broken up a bit for example

does the intended buyer just want a fun can like a beyer for a great experience
or do they want a can like the akg701 for soundstage.mids and highs and dont care about fun cans. etc etc. just trying to help i think their needs to be another category for what people want in a gaming phone.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #103 of 142
I think if someone were to ask for a good gaming phone they would get 200 replies. I think there are many good gaming phones people would buy a phone and say wow, it works and they are happy with it even though someone else might know its bottom of the pile in their eyes. one guy might buy a headphone and love it and so forth and so on.many people like their phones and they sound good to all of us.

I think we should make up a list of all the phones people like as good for gaming then break that list down by what people are looking for ie pricerange closed open amped unamped fun or analytical precise without care for a fun expereince and break it down by most popular maybe that should be a pole that would give us a ranking in order of most liked. just my 2 cents....

Aug 11, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #104 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by mechtech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm down to these 2 sets, and am split down the middle trying to decide which to get.

If the quality drop from ad900 to 700, and d2000 to 1000 isn't that big, I might grab one of the lower tier cans as well.

So d2000 or ad900?

I've owned the ad900 for about ~3months now and I can say that the positioning in FPS games isnt that great. Trying to figure if the enemy is above or below is extremely difficult. This is why I'm now looking for new cans 100% for gaming. Soundcard is x-fi xtrememusic. I love the ad900's for everything else than gaming, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was thinking ultrasone proline 650, denon d2000, equation rp-21 or sony mdr-v6. I'm not getting an amp anytime soon. Any ideas ?

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #105 of 142
I use Proline 2500 to play Stalker very successfully - yet to have anyone shoot me from above or below, I get to them first. (Thats the only game I used these phones with so far). I am sure alot of other cans will work well, so the question 'which gaming phone' is as hard to answer which headphone for music... (hell, we often want the same qualities - positioning and distance from headphones we use for music).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back