End all "Which gaming headphones" Thread
Aug 11, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #106 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by nburge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if someone were to ask for a good gaming phone they would get 200 replies. I think there are many good gaming phones people would buy a phone and say wow, it works and they are happy with it even though someone else might know its bottom of the pile in their eyes. one guy might buy a headphone and love it and so forth and so on.many people like their phones and they sound good to all of us.

I think we should make up a list of all the phones people like as good for gaming then break that list down by what people are looking for ie pricerange closed open amped unamped fun or analytical precise without care for a fun expereince and break it down by most popular maybe that should be a pole that would give us a ranking in order of most liked. just my 2 cents....

I still claim the 340's properly amped to be the best budget gaming cans I heard. My 340's will be getting balanced soon too.. Great imaging, Sound stage, detail, positioning..)

I'd also recommend the SA5000 for serious gaming & the 595's for casual gaming..A great DAC like the DAC1 helps too.. The ultimate gaming can would be the AKG1000, which would be considered cheating IMO.. & hi end stax phones..

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #107 of 142
Would stock Beyer DT770/80's be a safe buy for ~$130, in terms of value (and it COULD use X-fi un-amped well, right?), or are there other options to consider if I'm interested in both, gaming and music? Oh, and will only spend under $200.

For instance, would AKG K501's compare well? I haven't seen anything mentioned about DT660's for gaming - how are they? Also, if I want to go with open phones, is there anything much better than HD580's in the under $200 range (especially under $150), in terms of positional audio?

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #108 of 142
Hey, I'm looking for the headphone with the best audio positioning. I'm currently playing css competitively, and while I can hear the direction and position of the enemies with my speakers perfectly, I need something comparable for lan parties and late-night gaming.

I've been trying to find the best headphone/set for this, and I'm currently looking at the Sony MDR-v6 (CHU's recommandation), Sennheiser HD 280 pro and HD 595.

But the sony headset is really hard to get where I live (netherlands), and I'm not sure about the 3d positioning of the sennheiser headphones.

Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations? 3D positioning is the main quality I'm looking for.

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #109 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also recommend the SA5000 for serious gaming & the 595's for casual gaming..A great DAC like the DAC1 helps too.. The ultimate gaming can would be the AKG1000, which would be considered cheating IMO.. & hi end stax phones..

I've heard good things about the SA5000 from gamers I trust, but for pratical reasons I would find it very hard to reccomend these.

For competative gamers, like it or not your cans will take some abuse as you go from competation to competation. The SA5000's build issues combined with its pathetic 90 day warranty is just too big an issue in this environment.

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #110 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been trying to find the best headphone/set for this, and I'm currently looking at the Sony MDR-v6 (CHU's recommandation), Sennheiser HD 280 pro and HD 595.

But the sony headset is really hard to get where I live (netherlands), and I'm not sure about the 3d positioning of the sennheiser headphones.

Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations? 3D positioning is the main quality I'm looking for.

I've never heard the HD280 Pro, but atleast a couple people here prefer it's 3D positioning to the V6 (and RP-21). It's certainly more popular amongst gamers, however gamers are very brand conscious. This came up in either a HD280 or a RP-21 (a headphone which I admittadely know nothing about) recently, you might be able to find it using search.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #112 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I think I'll get the 280 pro then. There's one thing though. Sennheiser has a HD 280 pro and a HMD 280 pro. The only difference seems to be the mic (which I'm interested in), but the HDM 280 pro is pretty much 3 times as expensive as the one without the mic. What gives?

Sennheiser is just as famous for their mics as their headphones, you just don't see it around here. They're very closely tied to the avionics industry as well.

If you need a headset there is always the $10 Zalman Solution. It's not very high quality but people can understand me on vent/ts and that's what counts to me. That being said, this probably won't work nearly as well on headphones that only have 1 cable, since the "V" the cables make on most phones are the ideal spot to place it.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #113 of 142
Well I'm currently using an earset for a mic. I'll figure out some alternative way to get it to work well with it
wink.gif

Ok thanks for the help! I'm gonna order the HD 280 pro tonight.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #114 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard good things about the SA5000 from gamers I trust, but for pratical reasons I would find it very hard to reccomend these.

For competative gamers, like it or not your cans will take some abuse as you go from competation to competation. The SA5000's build issues combined with its pathetic 90 day warranty is just too big an issue in this environment.

Well the SA5000 come in a pretty sturdy box.. But for 700.00 retail the box should be much better..

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #115 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the SA5000 come in a pretty sturdy box.. But for 700.00 retail the box should be much better..

The general rule at LANs is that if it's not bolted down, at some point someone is going to try to step on it, sit on it, or steal it.

I would be scared to death to bring these.

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #116 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The general rule at LANs is that if it's not bolted down, at some point someone is going to try to step on it, sit on it, or steal it.

I would be scared to death to bring these.

True. My friend host many lan parties. I'd never leave my phone unattended. I'm going to be getting my balanced 340's in a day or two.. Can't wait to see how they are.. If Soundstage & detail improve like advertise gaming will be nuts..

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #117 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I play Counterstrike Source with my Grado SR-60. I do pretty good too
eggosmile.gif

(I play on a Boston server as "BangraHero")

In CS:S all you really need is to hear footsteps, and the SR-60 places them left/right/behind and the appropriate distance pretty accurately!

Just so you guys don't think I'm totally bonkers, I have a friend that play(ed) CS:S CAL-M with the SR-60 as well. I say this in the past tense since he has a career right now.

L3000/K1000 equals gaming heaven..

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #118 of 142
i like my hd595's for gaming. easier to carry.single cable. clamp better while i get up to get beers. take them off with one hand, easier to clip on my zalman Mic, requires no amp, even though i do use one.

but for music i love my denons.

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #119 of 142
I was trying out my X-Fi --> Go-Vibe 5 --> HD580's combo today. I was surprised that it was actually pretty effective. I got DT770's at the same time (this weekend), and I was using those for a couple of days straight from the X-Fi. For Counter-Strike: Source, it seemed like the 580's were good at positional audio. As for DT770's, they were alright, but I think the powerful bass actually threw me off sometimes.

I'm just curious as to whether other people have similar experiences with either headphones. For DT770 - should I EQ the bass down or anything like that for gaming? I read somewhere that the powerful bass is actually GOOD for gaming, but I think it's a bit too much. As for HD580's, anyone have good/bad experiences with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back