End all "Which gaming headphones" Thread
Aug 31, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #121 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay, got my HD 280 pro today. DOA.... The speaker in the left earpad is dead.

What!! UGH.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #122 of 142
What Headphones does SK and Team3D use. Whatever the top CS players use I would think be good to use. I mean they are only considered to be the best CS players in the world.

SK Gaming: http://www.sk-gaming.com/shop/extproduct/155

Team3D: http://3dny.thecgs.com/index.php?189780
Saw on Forums Tead3D previously used the Sennheiser HD 212 Pro

Would appear that Steelseries 5hv2 are really good to use. Even if they are sponsored, these players are at the top of their game winning back to back WCG championships with these headphones on.

The Sennheiser headsets get good reviews by gamers also on some forums I've read. A lot of the stand by them as the "best." I've never bought headset or headphone for just gaming since gaming has always been a fun hobby. Not serious and music is always my focus for headphones.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #123 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What Headphones does SK and Team3D use. Whatever the top CS players use I would think be good to use. I mean they are only considered to be the best CS players in the world.

Would appear that Steelseries 5hv2 are really good to use. Even if they are sponsored, these players are at the top of their game winning back to back WCG championships with these headphones on.

Still sponsored. The gamers have no choice in that regard. Too bad we can't do a test.. Teams playing with the Steel series & teams with a good quality stereo phone. Then have them switch.. In the end talent rules out. But at that level any advantage can become monumental.

Just because a team uses the Sen 212pro doesn't make them great gaming phones for competition.The Majority of these gamers have no clue about good headphones, hence they drift towards the marketing side of things, 'true' 5.1 headsets.. I gamed with the 212 pro. They are fun to use, but the sound stage is extremely narrow, & the bass drowns out important micro details.

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #124 of 142
Quote:

I'd rather have good headphones than an 'omg pro gaming certified' headset. I doubt they're better for gaming than the HD280pro I bought (which I sent back to sennheiser service today.. I'll probably get it back somewhere next week).

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #125 of 142
Yeah right...

These guys are better than any CS player. You think even sponsored these guys would use phones that won't let them hear everything they need to hear with precision?

These are among the first Professional Gamers to make a living from this. You think they would let inferior gear prevent them from making a living? Sponsored or not, these headphones have to provide what they want. And also sponsors listen to the needs of the Professional athlete (in this case cyber-athletes) needs. I'm pretty sure these do everything and more that a gamer needs. Cause I'm sure the needs of these CS Players far exceed anything I need from headphones. My paycheck does not depend on my gaming performance. Don't be naive with such statements as they don't what headphones they need and they are sponsored, so who cares.

And also, These phones were made for GAMING. They were designed for GAMING. Can't believe you guys would make such comments as above. I have no doubts that these phones are better for gaming than what I have. But then I'm not interested in a dedicated headphone for just gaming. Gaming is fun for me, its not my profession. Personally will not be purchasing these.

And hardcore gamers are like any fanatic. They are nuts about their gear. I'm pretty sure they buy the best headset they think will give them an edge. Not talking about sponsored gamers. I'd go to some gaming forum where they talk about hardware. I'm sure you'll find some heated debates about what headset will give the edge in gaming.

How else do you explain their ability to know what is going on in the game better than you if these phones don't provide the spatial and precise sound information they need.

Its like saying who cares if Clapton is sponsored by Fender. His strats aren't that good. Are you nuts?!?!??!?

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #127 of 142
Quote:

Yeah right...

These guys are better than any CS player. You think even sponsored these guys would use phones that won't let them hear everything they need to hear with precision?

These are among the first Professional Gamers to make a living from this. You think they would let inferior gear prevent them from making a living? Sponsored or not, these headphones have to provide what they want. And also sponsors listen to the needs of the Professional athlete (in this case cyber-athletes) needs. I'm pretty sure these do everything and more that a gamer needs. Cause I'm sure the needs of these CS Players far exceed anything I need from headphones. My paycheck does not depend on my gaming performance. Don't be naive with such statements as they don't what headphones they need and they are sponsored, so who cares.

And also, These phones were made for GAMING. They were designed for GAMING. Can't believe you guys would make such comments as above. I have no doubts that these phones are better for gaming than what I have. But then I'm not interested in a dedicated headphone for just gaming. Gaming is fun for me, its not my profession. Personally will not be purchasing these.

How else do you explain their ability to know what is going on in the game better than you if these phones don't provide the spatial and precise sound information they need.

Its like saying who cares if Clapton is sponsored by Fender. His strats aren't that good. Are you nuts?!?!??!?

....? What are you on about. I never said that the 5hv2 sucks. I bet they're good for gaming, I just trust professional advice more than the sponsored claims of cpl players. I'd rather have headphones that I am comfortable with, than headphones that professionals use. Just because they're the best players out there, doesn't mean their gear is the best out there. There's a lot of stuff that claims to be 'best for gaming', yet aren't. Steelseries is a popular brand with gamers, that's why they're so popular, not because they're the best.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #128 of 142
Quote:

Yeah right...

And hardcore gamers are like any fanatic. They are nuts about their gear. I'm pretty sure they buy the best headset they think will give them an edge. Not talking about sponsored gamers. I'd go to some gaming forum where they talk about hardware. I'm sure you'll find some heated debates about what headset will give the edge in gaming.

Looks like it to me. Anyone who wants great SQ wouldn't be caught dead with 'gaming' headphones. Yes, great SQ does matter!! It goes beyond the 5.1 headphones, which stereo headphones are more then capable of reproducing. Infact there is no such thing as a gaming headphone or gaming TV for that matter.. All headphones can be gaming headphones. It seems like you enjoy marketing. The Steel Headphones are made specifically for gaming? Yet any good pair of 'non' gaming headphones are superior in every way

These guys make a living from gaming & can't find better headphones then the steels..lol give me a break.. So it's 100.00 or tops for these guys when it comes to headphones?? & making oodles more money from winnings. I guess the Steels are better at detail then the Qulia10 since the Q10's weren't made for gaming?

3rd.. Any decent headphone will help you.. & unless these players step up to better headphones we really won't know how much better they are in in regads to the Steels..

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #129 of 142
Ok I got my repaired HD 280 pro today. After a day of testing different settings, I settled on the basic settings which gave the best 3d positioning in css (by far). Put it on "2 speakers" in control panel, same in css. And I enabled the CMSS 3D function on my x-fi card. These settings are pretty close to the positional performance of of my speaker setup. At least for the sounds coming from within your field of vision. Positioning was less exact with sounds from behind and from the side. But with these headphones I can hear detail more easily, and even the quietest sounds. It's not perfect, but still far better than anything I've ever heard from any other headphones (especially the 5.1 headsets crap).

With these settings I also had no problems with the soundstage becoming blurry when there's a lot of stuff going on, a problem which I did have with other headphones.

Music is very enjoyable too with these settings. Bass is very good.

I'm very glad I got this pair. Thanks a lot Chu and of course all the others too!

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #130 of 142
I personally think sound is over-rated in some games, especially team based first-person shooters. I'm not saying it isn't useful, but there are a lot of other attributes that to me are massively more important.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #131 of 142
Quote:

Ok I got my repaired HD 280 pro today. After a day of testing different settings, I settled on the basic settings which gave the best 3d positioning in css (by far). Put it on "2 speakers" in control panel, same in css. And I enabled the CMSS 3D function on my x-fi card. These settings are pretty close to the positional performance of of my speaker setup. At least for the sounds coming from within your field of vision. Positioning was less exact with sounds from behind and from the side. But with these headphones I can hear detail more easily, and even the quietest sounds. It's not perfect, but still far better than anything I've ever heard from any other headphones (especially the 5.1 headsets crap).

With these settings I also had no problems with the soundstage becoming blurry when there's a lot of stuff going on, a problem which I did have with other headphones.

Music is very enjoyable too with these settings. Bass is very good.

I'm very glad I got this pair. Thanks a lot Chu and of course all the others too!

From the side! The 280's must not be great cans for positioning. I can understand the back, even though with my cans I can still tell, but its something you need to get used too.. Stereo headphones are more then capable of this.. Could be your SS DSP.. DD 5.1 DSP is regarded as the best.

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #132 of 142
I mean that I can tell when something comes from the side, but I can't pin down if it's more to the front or to the back. This is much easier with my speakers. Or it might be my settings. I'm still fiddling with them. Trying to find out if I can change settings of the CMSS 3D itself.

It works pretty well for pinning down things within the screen (behind walls etc).

Made this real crappy illustration.
280direction.png

Would anyone know any tips or tricks to improve this?

edit - I'm talking about Counter-strike source specifically, the only game for which I really care about positioning.

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #135 of 142
Quote:

I mean that I can tell when something comes from the side, but I can't pin down if it's more to the front or to the back. This is much easier with my speakers. Or it might be my settings. I'm still fiddling with them. Trying to find out if I can change settings of the CMSS 3D itself.

It works pretty well for pinning down things within the screen (behind walls etc).

Made this real crappy illustration.
280direction.png

Would anyone know any tips or tricks to improve this?

edit - I'm talking about Counter-strike source specifically, the only game for which I really care about positioning.

Too bad you don't have DD 5.1 DSP.. Also could be your headphones. Maybe they aren't great at positioning. In R6 I would stand infront of a clock & spin around. I have no problem hearing from the front, back, & the sides.. Sometimes I have problems whe I'm on the ground & hear someone walking in a buuilding on the 2nd floor. It's like they are above me.. I guess they are, just makes it harder to pin point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back