End all "Which gaming headphones" Thread
Mar 17, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #61 of 142
Actually I bought my AD900 through pricejapan.com. Even though the site isn't the best looking, their service is pretty good. Quite a few people have bought the HP's through them as well.

Another factor you need to keep in mind is the taxes that you may have to pay. I'm assuming your in one of the Oceanic countries; not sure if you have to pay duty, but I'm pretty positive customs will hit you with tax. Should find that out. Does the price you indicated from Headphones.au include tax? Probably not.

I like Pricejapan because you can usually get the best deal or price on the Japanese market, compared to audiocubes which is fixed. But that's not always the case, as sometimes AC has a cheaper price. Pricejapan basically acts as a middle man, and they do carry out warranty service on your behalf as well.

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #62 of 142
I had a chance to demo the Proline 750 for a week, the thing that stood out to me the most, was nice, tight, and really 'hit you like a 10 ton truck' bass. It was really nice. Other than that, they were alright; their open counterpart the 2500 has got me interested, and I gather owing to it's open nature, would sound better for music.

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #63 of 142
Pricejapan looks alright, but I do appreciate a store with a proper website, and more to the point their price is pretty much the same.

I live in Australia, and this thread came up when I did some googling:-
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89876

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Packages going into Australia via courier valued at over AUD$250 will incur tax/duties but packages sent by post will only incur tax if they are valued over AUD$1000. So it is best to use post, plus it's cheaper.

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #64 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by lackofcheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pricejapan looks alright, but I do appreciate a store with a proper website, and more to the point their price is pretty much the same.

I live in Australia, and this thread came up when I did some googling:-
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89876

Yeah Audiocubes service is spot on too. For me though when I was getting the AD900 it was around $30 or so cheaper, so it was no contest.

That's good, it's like the US almost, as far as taxation. When I came here to Canada to study, I found out the hard way, of how much they love taxes here. Anything valued above $20 CAD gets taxed, where I live, around 14%... on high ticket items, that's quite a penny.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #65 of 142
Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Snufkin on what he thinks about the AD700 vs A900.

It would be rather mean of me to order from audiocubes after getting so much information from him, but the price difference is so large
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #66 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by lackofcheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$400 extra in SQ eh? Wouldn't that put them in line with Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 which cost $500 USD?? Even my meagre understanding of you people on head-fi leads me to think of that as blasphemy
biggrin.gif

I don´t hold it as impossible at all. Mind you haven´t listened to them but I have hard time seeing a headphone with better soundstage and cleaner sound.

In the end it depends on what your preferences are which headphone are the best. The Proline 750 has kind of hit the sweet spot for me.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #67 of 142
Ah well, that is high praise there, but despite some level of flexibility in my budget I can't justify something as expensive as the Proline 750 when I'm only just starting out with regards to good audio. I still haven't even ordered my first good pair of headphones yet, but I have determined now that I'm probably either choosing the Audio Technica AD400 or AD700, or perhaps the A900, all of which is dependant on whether I, as a newb, can really get my money's worth from spending that much on cans.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #68 of 142
Hmm, from http://www.headphones.com.au/forums/...hp?p=3574#3574
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snufkin
Well, AD700 vs A900 is fairly simple - if you want isolation and more bass, while sacrificing a little soundstage, detail and cash the A900 is a good choice over the AD700. I wouldn't say either is better than the other, they're just different.

I guess then you would go for the A900 for bass, which would have great impact when it comes to explosions and the like, but I'm not so sure it's worth sacrificing those other things for.

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #69 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I play Counterstrike Source with my Grado SR-60. I do pretty good too
eggosmile.gif

(I play on a Boston server as "BangraHero")

In CS:S all you really need is to hear footsteps, and the SR-60 places them left/right/behind and the appropriate distance pretty accurately!

Just so you guys don't think I'm totally bonkers, I have a friend that play(ed) CS:S CAL-M with the SR-60 as well. I say this in the past tense since he has a career right now.

I played two seasons of cs:s main before i broke my sr-60s. I honestly think I got worse. Those things were so damned precise and bright. perfect for keeping you alert.

As for garbage like steelsound or icemat audios, they're trash. It's all marketing. Their consumer base is under the age of 16 (i'm not joking). The only good headphones made by a gaming company are the razer ones, and those only sound as good as they can if they're used with the specialized soundcard that they come with with.

How are grado's not on your list for open (no amp)?

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #71 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soymilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they can be had for ~$260 new from northersoundandlight.com, so it's only a $100 difference. msrp is ridiculous lol.

Is there a thread with all the northersoundandlight.com prices? i dont feel like emailing them and asking them for a price of every headphone of theirs i could possibly want.

I try using the search for northersoundandlight but apparently posts with that phrase dont exist, even though im looking at one right now.

Head fi search system is cute.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #72 of 142
northern has them for $260+ shipping and if you can afford it skip the entry level cans and get a 2500/750.

For a first real headphone they will wax anything in it's pricerange and really scrub anything below them.

Just remember that they will sound fine out of an x-fi and an ok amp but they get better as you add pieces.

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #74 of 142
You should warn people for Grados. No soundstage, Fitting on ear=uncomfortable, bright, leaks noise like crazy.
With the disclaimer it´s a love or hate affair. Some loves them the rest hates them
wink.gif

I hate them lol

As for Proline 750. I can honestly say you should sort them under no amp category. Sure they benefit from one but you still get thunderous bass, the surround sound and no problem getting volume... So I wouldn´t say they are in any desparate need for an amp. I run them with or without it´s great both ways
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #75 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should warn people for Grados. No soundstage, Fitting on ear=uncomfortable, bright, leaks noise like crazy.
With the disclaimer it´s a love or hate affair. Some loves them the rest hates them
wink.gif

I hate them lol

As for Proline 750. I can honestly say you should sort them under no amp category. Sure they benefit from one but you still get thunderous bass, the surround sound and no problem getting volume... So I wouldn´t say they are in any desparate need for an amp. I run them with or without it´s great both ways
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me be the crazy uncle that no one talks to at family reunions.. From my experience, I'd say the 340's are the best gaming headphones I have heard.. & Electrostats would be great for competitive gaming..Great clarity.Fast.detailed..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back