End all "Which gaming headphones" Thread
Mar 17, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #46 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by lackofcheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This applies especially when we're looking at closed headphones below the price of the Beyer DT770-80, or so I would've thought.

Yes, the price factor does change things a bit. But there are proponents of the DT250 and other similar headphones that may tend to disagree. I can't comment as I haven't heard those.

For what it's worth, I spent a while researching before deciding to pick up an AD900. This review here at Good Gear Guide, an aussie site as well, did play a deciding factor to pick it up. Everyone's ears are different and so are preferences/tastes. I got rid of it, and now I am quite content with my A900LTD's. Don't get me wrong, the AD's were lovely headphones, but the bass or lack thereof just didn't cut if for me, at least to my ears.

Mar 17, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #47 of 142
Well, I'm looking for headphones for gaming myself, but I also want them to be good at music (rock in particular). However, my price range would be below $250 AUD which rules out the Audio Technica ATH-A900. Do you have anything to tell me on open vs closed models in that price range?

I guess that the A900 you have are quite good for bass since you do seem to like them, and I expect they would be better for detail and soundstage than cheaper closed alternatives. However, I'm not willing to shell out $299 AUD for them.

I guess if the A500 and A700 are similar for bass they would be reasonably good options if that was what I was looking for, but I do believe that the AD700 would be better for detail which I think would be more important.

Also, the fact that the AD700 are better than my alternatives in closed headphones for music would also be a deciding factor, or so I would think. Additionally, the velour earpads as well as the openness would also pose a significant advantage over pleather and closedness for comfort.

In any case, surely the AD700 are superior to at least the HD555, perhaps even the HD595, recommended in the original post of this thread, which is reason enough to include them in the list?

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #48 of 142
I can't comment on the HD555, but judging by what's been said about them, the AD700 would be better for your preferences. The HD555 is said to be quite laid back, and I think it would not be very engaging for gaming or your music preferences.

I have owned a HD595, and I think the AD series may be a bit more detailed, definitely more forward sounding with a lot more airiness to it. The 'open' factor that you mentioned is also another positive, it helps if you're at the computer for extended periods, gaming or otherwise. There are people that have held the HD595 in a positive light being a good all-rounder, but quite a few have said that they can be quite boring; jack of all trades, master of none.

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #49 of 142
595 is what I would consider optimal for gaming
I've tested it with other phones and I like it the most for gaming. its one of the most popular too at cpl and other big lans
580smile.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #50 of 142
Okay, thanks, it's good to hear some positive confirmation on the AD700. For my needs they do seem to be superior to all of the alternatives within that price range, particularly when it comes to music.

Are there any closed alternatives that would be much good within that price range? The Audio Technica ATH-A500 and A700 come to mind, as do the Ultrasone HFI-500DJ1.

I guess if you haven't tried those cheaper closed models then you can't really express an opinion on them though.

Perhaps the best thing I could get from you is a comparison of the A900LTD and the AD900, as you have tried both of those. I understand that you appreciate the bass of the closed versions, but I would still like more information, both about the bass and about other aspects of these cans.

csommers, it's interesting to hear that people at LANs would still prefer an open headphone. What other 'phones have you tested it with though? I'm particularly interested in the Audio Technica AD range, perhaps the Beyerdynamic DTX in lower-end cans as well.

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #51 of 142
A900 is 170 dollars not 299...

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #52 of 142
Australian dollars aren't the same thing as US dollars. $170 USD = $220 AUD so it *might* be worthwhile for me to get them shipped in from overseas, but then there would be huge shipping costs and duties and the like.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #53 of 142
I doubt it. I mean new zealand is much closer to japan then Sweden and it cost virtually nothing to ship them over here. It´s headphones we talk about they don´t weight much... 1 kg was the package I think if even that.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #56 of 142
audiocubes.com
wink.gif
. But still realize they aren´t even half as good as the Ultrasone Proline 750.

IMO IMO IMO lol

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #57 of 142
Oh dear, Snufkin probably would be displeased if I went to Audiocubes.
They have the AD700 shipped for $167.57 compared to Snufkin's $229 and the A900 shipped for $249.60 compared to Snufkin's $299 though :S

He has been nice to me, as much as talking to him has embarrassed me.

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #58 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audiocubes.com
wink.gif
. But still realize they aren´t even half as good as the Ultrasone Proline 750.

Considering they aren't even half as expensive, that doesn't worry me much.

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #59 of 142
100 buck yes for a 400$ improvement in sound quality
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #60 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100 buck yes for a 400$ improvement in sound quality
biggrin.gif

$400 extra in SQ eh? Wouldn't that put them in line with Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 which cost $500 USD?? Even my meagre understanding of you people on head-fi leads me to think of that as blasphemy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back