End all "Which gaming headphones" Thread
Mar 17, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #32 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am back. Ultrasone Proline 750 enough said. You can erase the DT 770 and A900 from the list they aren´t even 30 % as good
wink.gif

positioning sound is almost flawless. Sound quality is so much better. Much better bass impact and bass extension. Clearer highs.

However you should add that they really benefit tons from great sources and amps... Big difference out of an Elite PRO compared to X-fi and X-meridian. Big difference unamped and with my cheap pimeta.

However sounds better then DT 770 and A900 unamped.

I will gladly get the ultrasone proline 750, now i just need $200 from you to cover the difference in cost.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #33 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will gladly get the ultrasone proline 750, now i just need $200 from you to cover the difference in cost.

they can be had for ~$260 new from northersoundandlight.com, so it's only a $100 difference. msrp is ridiculous lol.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #34 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by lackofcheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not really such a fair comparison; The price difference is very significant, after all.

No-one seems to be answering me on open headphones (e.g. Audio Technica ATH-AD700) :S

I've owned the AD900 in the past. It has really sweet mids, and a super wide soundstage, I would venture to say even better than the K701. But as someone mentioned, the bass is severely lacking. EQ'ing may help a bit for music, but it just doesn't cut it in games, esp FPS's. When I played some UT2K4 with it, I had the DT770/80 on hand to compare directly to. The DT770/80, on explosions was 'OMG TEH BASSSS!11!!!' ; the AD900 didn't have as much of a visceral impact as the Beyers.

And a few posts a while ago, have mentioned that the AD900 had more bass than the AD700, so going by that, I would say the AD700 wouldn't be that good for gaming. On the flip side however, if you primarily play MMORPG's, I think they will do fine, since the wide soundstage will give you more of a 'in the middle of it all' type of feeling.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #35 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by technetium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you need to put the Sony XD400 and the philips hp1000 on the list.
They are not all that common inhere, but in my opinion they outclass the sennheiser 595 and the a700.

I'd have to disagree on that one. I haven't tried the A700, but I do own (well gave it to the gf) a XD400 and have owned the HD595. I wouldn't say the Sony outclass the XD400, they are in a totally different league altogether. The Sony is good as a starter can I guess, and was worth the $40 I paid for it, nothing more. It may be well suited for some games, owing to it's closed nature it would have more a bass impact. Other than that, it has the typical Sony consumer level audio sound that we 'love', muddy overall, slightly honky with bloated bass. I've heard good things about Phillips headphones, I just wish they'd market them more here in North America.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #36 of 142
A900 bass is too much for game such as counter strike and battle field. It bass overwhelmed other things like footstep and small detail sounds.

Not recommended for gaming.

I owned XD200 which is similar to XD400. The bass and mid is lacking too. Not good for gaming.

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #37 of 142
Quote:

I've always heard that open headphones tend to have a better soundstage than closed ones, so wouldn't that make them better for gaming?

If this is really the case, why aren't models like the Audio Technica AD Series and Beyerdynamic DTX series listed?

In general, for the 100-200$ price range, closed headphones reveal the subtlties better simply due to their closed nature and the fact that they isolate you. When playing games where it is critical to hear all sounds, closed headphones are advisible.

I still don't get when people say open headphones have great soundstage..... I've been using closed headphones now for a few years that I find have better soundtage than most of the open headphones..... maybe I'm using the term soundstage differently? Hm.........

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #40 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't get when people say open headphones have great soundstage..... I've been using closed headphones now for a few years that I find have better soundtage than most of the open headphones..... maybe I'm using the term soundstage differently? Hm.........

"Headstage - The perception of the Soundstage while listening to headphones."
"Soundstage - The area between two speakers that appears to the listener to be occupied by sonic images. Like a real stage, a soundstage should have width, depth, and height." .. from here.

I guess it takes on three variables, width, depth and height? To me I can only discern if the soundstage is wide or not. My recently acquired V2 Darth's have a great soundstage, but my previously owned AD900 seemed to me wider, as did the AKG K701.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #41 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In general, for the 100-200$ price range, closed headphones reveal the subtlties better simply due to their closed nature and the fact that they isolate you. When playing games where it is critical to hear all sounds, closed headphones are advisible.

Surely that only matters in a relatively noisy environment? In my case I have somewhat loud aircon, but even so I don't think that's enough to make closed headphones a better choice for me. The rest of the time wouldn't open headphones tend to be more detailed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned the AD900 in the past. ... But as someone mentioned, the bass is severely lacking. EQ'ing may help a bit for music, but it just doesn't cut it in games, esp FPS's. When I played some UT2K4 with it, I had the DT770/80 on hand to compare directly to. The DT770/80, on explosions was 'OMG TEH BASSSS!11!!!' ; the AD900 didn't have as much of a visceral impact as the Beyers.

And a few posts a while ago, have mentioned that the AD900 had more bass than the AD700, so going by that, I would say the AD700 wouldn't be that good for gaming. On the flip side however, if you primarily play MMORPG's, I think they will do fine, since the wide soundstage will give you more of a 'in the middle of it all' type of feeling.

It is indeed true that closed headphones tend to be bassier, and in some cases they are boomy and blurry which could kill the subtle sounds.

In a home environment you don't really need isolation, so the tendency for extra detail in open headphones should really make them the better choice. As appreciable as the visceral impact of bass is for gaming, the subtleties have more importance.

(This information on detail vs bass I drew from Snufkin over on my Headphonic thread, so don't dismiss it 'cos it was said by a newb =D)

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #42 of 142
No, no, for the gaming you must get Audio Xtreme 360. It is Xtreme!!!

i have not used them but if all you care about is games then why not them
frown.gif
they will rumble your skull

i like the game called "red orchestra" but i was disappointed there was ironically no orchestral music in it
confused.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #43 of 142
Quote:

As for bass, it is indeed true that closed headphones are more powerful in that respect; and as I mentioned before they tend to be more boomy and blurry so they would kill the subtle sounds.

In a home environment you don't really need isolation, so the detail of open headphones should really make them the better choice. As appreciable as the visceral impact of bass is for gaming, the subtleties have more importance.

I don't believe it's as clear cut as that. First of all, you are working under the incorrect assumption that all closed headphones are boomy with overpowering bass that drowns out the other sound registers. The A900 is far removed from the bass that is present on a stock DT770/80. Moreover, having bass does not mean you sacrifice the other sound aspects for it; you can have a high treble emphasis as well as gobs of bass. A forward sound signature, with a bit of treble emphasis, is what you would need to hear the footsteps and other details that would be pertinent to a game, esp. a FPS; the proverbial V-curve.

Another incorrect assumption is that a closed headphone is not detailed. Logic would also dictate that the closed nature of a headphone would help you pick up more details. I would venture to say that the 'wide' sound stage aspect of some open headphones will actually hurt it in the detail department; in the sense that it will be detrimental to positioning, sounds will be non-localized because of that diffuse effect.

Now all the above, like I said, would be for FPS; there are most definitely other genres, but when people come looking for headphones, most times they want it for FPS gaming.

That being said, open headphones are the ideal choice if want of isolation, prevention of sound leakage is not an issue for you. Especially since, music tends to sound better with an open headphone. But some people like me, like to hear and feel the seismic sounds of a rumbling chain gun every once in a while
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #44 of 142
I wonder why some referr to the a900 as bassy? If you use equalizer you get absolutely no bass with them and with stock settings it has very little bass.

Most seem to find the bass on the A900 lacking while others find it super strong must be something how they angle the drivers that affects different ears somehow...

The price difference is 100$ and I would say it´s so worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #45 of 142
I made mistakes in trying to interpret (and understand) what I heard from Snufkin, so I think I'll just link you to the thread over at headphonic. All I achieved by trying to restate it in my own words was shaming myself :S
http://www.headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=653

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me but I didn't intend to say that closed headphones have no detail - I meant that open headphones *generally* have more detail while closed headphones *generally* have more bass and that the detail would probably be more important than the bass, and hence open headphones would *generally* beat closed headphones for gaming when the area isn't excessively noisy.

This applies especially when we're looking at closed headphones below the price of the Beyer DT770-80, or so I would've thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back