Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 7, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #28,261 of 40,613
Sometimes I feel my bass preference to be all over the place. It's been a while since I've touched the LX, so I'll have to revisit it with the Odin in hand. I have a nagging suspicion, it might be going up in valuation slighty at the least from my "merrrrrr bass cannons". I was originally planning to wait till the temperature got a bit more springy for a visit, but it's gonna wait with a stay at home order for the next month or so at the least.
Shame on you!! Give those darn LXs some love!!

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #28,262 of 40,613
I have no doubt. Some people find the Elysium's and Andromeda's bass more than enough. The LX just seems to have this reputation for overwhelming bass, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. To each his own in this wonderful, crazy hobby of ours.

I am thinking it is only an overwhelming bass IEM due to the source they are using with the LX. It could also be due to them liking the sound of something like the JH13 better. To my ears, LX is more than just bass.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #28,263 of 40,613
Odins bass response is similar to the Z1R’s in terms of quantity but better technically if you ask me. It’s the only thing I’ve heard that matches and surpasses the Sony in that regard.

The LX doesn't?

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #28,264 of 40,613
Do you believe that a high percentage that find the LX overwhelming in the bass are listening to units that aren't “burned in, ” or from a source that doesn't have enough power?

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #28,265 of 40,613
Bro, the Leo II is incredible!! I got mine for less than $500 so I couldn’t pass it up.
Sure, I'll buy every quarter in the world that I can buy for a dime.

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #28,266 of 40,613
I love my S1 but definitely want the W2. I just preordered it so I’ll hopefully have it in a couple weeks. I was just waiting for a silicone or leather cover option but gave up waiting. I almost bought a DX160 but can’t justify carrying a separate DAP when dongle DACs sound so good and using my iPhone iOS is more user friendly.
End game mobile solution for walking in the park. Just finished 2 hours. Just insert IEMs into ears, grab iPhone with right hand, volume up and down on the back, change tracks or browse the internet on the front.

Attachments

• Odin W2 iPhone.JPG
    Odin W2 iPhone.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #28,267 of 40,613
The Odin bass is amazing, it’s deep and powerful. I love it the more I listen.

For me, with the stock cable, the Odin’s upper mid can be a bit too much at times (not all the times, only on some tracks with high pitch tones). Swapping to a warmer SPC cable is able to reduce the occasional spikiness. Could be just my personal preference.
I’m going through the EE thread and found this comment that may be useful to me. Can you tell me what warmer SPC cable you are referring to or is it any SPC?

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #28,270 of 40,613
So... given the choice - would you get custom or universal?
Preference is for custom when it's offered, even when the universals fits well, like EE. If I like an IEM, the odds of selling it is extremely minimal and I really don't like dealing with tips anymore. Especially when traveling - at least when I start that again.

Plus with customs, the ability to customize the shell / faceplate is great as well, adds a little personality to the IEM.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #28,271 of 40,613
Preference is for custom when it's offered, even when the universals fits well, like EE. If I like an IEM, the odds of selling it is extremely minimal and I really don't like dealing with tips anymore. Especially when traveling - at least when I start that again.

Plus with customs, the ability to customize the shell / faceplate is great as well, adds a little personality to the IEM.
I wish I could try the LX with the stock tips, and maybe couple other tips that come highly recommended here BEFORE making the decision (of universal vs. custom)...
Personally, when the CIEM fits well - the main downside IMHO is the "process" of insertion and removal.

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #28,272 of 40,613

Same here. I prefer custom.

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #28,273 of 40,613
I wish I could try the LX with the stock tips, and maybe couple other tips that come highly recommended here BEFORE making the decision (of universal vs. custom)...

I'm not sure anyone would ever recommend any tips as being better than a custom...

Personally, when the CIEM fits well - the main downside IMHO is the "process" of insertion and removal.

I find universals worse - you have the additional "straighten the ear canal" step?

For example compare (suggested Etymotic):

vs. (suggested custom):

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #28,274 of 40,613

I have the Final Type Es, Sedna EarFits, EarFitLights, Spiral Dots, Spiral Dots++, SpinFits, and Symbio Mandarins.

Spiral Dots and Sednas are amazing so I couldn’t imagine you being unhappy with either. The universals are awesome in that you can enjoy them and one day sell them should you ever get tired of them or want to upgrade.

Getting customs is something I thought I’d never do but I love the LX that much that it was worth the hit in resale should they ever have to be reshelled to universals. However, I would’ve never made that decision had I not first made sure I loved them in their universal form.

The one thing I can’t stand about universal IEMs and any tips is having to readjust them at times, even more so during any type of physical activity. I’m 100% confident you’ll be happy with the universal LXs though if you try them with the two I mentioned earlier!!

I’d tell you to go straight to custom LXs but I haven’t gotten mine yet to make sure I love them as much as my universals. Then I’ll know if my universals will go up for sale or not.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #28,275 of 40,613
I’m going through the EE thread and found this comment that may be useful to me. Can you tell me what warmer SPC cable you are referring to or is it any SPC?
Wow, it was some time ago and I can’t even remember I posted this one :smile:. Back then, I just got the Odin and was just trying out some cables. I’ve totally forgotten which cable it was. Perhaps I was still new with the Odin sound at that time, I’m not sure. Could be one of the spc cables I have in my possession or a cable I’ve tried at the audio shop. I think it was just a standard spc cable and wasn’t an expensive one. At that time, everyone is saying the Odin is best tuned with the 1960 cable (aka Stormbreaker), so I just didn’t continue testing it. Now that you mentioned it, I may try to recall and do some tests to see how spc do to the Odin sound again. Just hope I wouldn’t get stabbed with the pitchfork :sweat_smile:.

I haven’t been listening to the Odin lately but I still take it out to admire it. Love the beautiful color rainbow design.

F0D19953-AB65-4BF6-873B-60FD01A3CE0E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back