Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 7, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #28,246 of 40,675
Holy shot. You have all of those variants of LX using an S1 as source? You are going to have a heart attack when you hear them with the W2. It's a HUGE step up in quality.

I love my S1 but definitely want the W2. I just preordered it so I’ll hopefully have it in a couple weeks. I was just waiting for a silicone or leather cover option but gave up waiting. I almost bought a DX160 but can’t justify carrying a separate DAP when dongle DACs sound so good and using my iPhone iOS is more user friendly.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #28,247 of 40,675
Anything else? Those stay in and seal for almost anyone, but there's hardly anything else like it.

Have you tried the spin fits double flange? they fit like the triple flange ones but less intrusive.
Let me start by saying: I am mostly a headphone guy. Not IEMs.
I have never invested in after market tips, and other than the CIEMs that I have (Bravados and a cheaper older pair from different manufacture) - all my universal IEMs are relatively cheap ones that come with VERY limited selection of rubber / silicone tips. All (very likely) junk. They are too small, causes pain (too large?), and/or just slip out and need to be pushed in every 20 seconds. I never considered investing $30-50 for tips when the IEMs cost that much (or less)... Probably only IEM that is not that cheap that I have is the Etymotic which fits great :)
My plan was to attend the next CanJam, spend some time with EE folks, and try ALL the tips that come with universal LX. IF none of them fit well - hopefully, EE guys have a small arsenal of non-stock tips I could try. For a $2K IEM - I am more than willing to spend the extra $50 once I know which actually fit. My worry is I may not find ANY that fit right - who knows, maybe my ear canal shape is weird, or angled weird, or whatever. Universals are supposed to fit 90% of the people - maybe I am in the 10% :wink:

Also, I tried Comply foam tips in the past. They worked, but I did not like the way they feel inside the ear...

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #28,248 of 40,675
Anyone with EE and Thummin experience? Which has most bass?
Thummim has the larger staging (from the right source, as it requires power) than LX, with more of a heavy midbass emphasis whereas LX extends further on subbass. Both have excellent bass texture but I heard more detail in Thummim's midbass. LX is probably a tad faster in bass regions, although both are on the slower side.

As @CL14715 said, Thummim's wonky mids is possibly a U-shaped signature, and depends heavily on the source synergy. It has drier mids than the lushful LX.

Thummim has more treble sparkle, and I feel is one of its stronger suits-but both have great treble extension while being on the warmer side.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #28,249 of 40,675
Anything else? Those stay in and seal for almost anyone, but there's hardly anything else like it.

Are you comparing the LX too? :D I want to "poison" a friend.

Oh and do you have like.. Utopia? I'm telling myself that I have Utopia most of the time, Zeus more for when I'm on public transport (which is rare).
No LX in hand sadly, and its too much of a risk to run down to the store for a demo as of yet here.

Utopia might be something I go for when I find full time work again. But so far I've been holding back from that. I learned my lesson going from a Sennheiser Momentum to the Velvet V2 to Zeus in like 6 months

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #28,250 of 40,675
I find that the LX SE sound extremely close to the Z1Rs but with better sub bass, just not as overwhelming as some may perceive it to be as with the regular LX.
Overhelming is one word you'll never find me using to describe the LX bass. And I don't consider myself a basshead in the true sense. I'm just as comfortable with more balanced, nuanced and detailed bass, a-la Fourte (or even Traillii with the right music), but LX is definitely the sweet spot when you need to feel it and not just hear it.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #28,251 of 40,675
Overhelming is one word you'll never find me using to describe the LX bass. And I don't consider myself a basshead in the true sense. I'm just as comfortable with more balanced, nuanced and detailed bass, a-la Fourte (or even Traillii with the right music), but LX is definitely the sweet spot when you need to feel it and not just hear it.
Apparently, for some it is. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #28,252 of 40,675
Apparently, for some it is. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I have no doubt. Some people find the Elysium's and Andromeda's bass more than enough. The LX just seems to have this reputation for overwhelming bass, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. To each his own in this wonderful, crazy hobby of ours.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #28,253 of 40,675
Odins bass response is similar to the Z1R’s in terms of quantity but better technically if you ask me. It’s the only thing I’ve heard that matches and surpasses the Sony in that regard.

Based on this very post; today I purchased a brand new set of Odins. Should be with me Friday. In all honesty I should of bought the Odins instead of the Thummims but I'm looking forward to comparing before I push to move them on.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #28,254 of 40,675
Based on this very post; today I purchased a brand new set of Odins. Should be with me Friday. In all honesty I should of bought the Odins instead of the Thummims but I'm looking forward to comparing before I push to move them on.
I would appreciate the comparison. These two are at the top of my list.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #28,256 of 40,675
Anyone here ever compare the Horus to the Leo II? Now that I’ve had a chance to appreciate the synergy of the Leo II with the LX I’m curious how it stacks up to the Horus.
I've got the Horus X and a Leo II/Cleo, so...sort of :)

I pretty much agree with Twister's review of the Horus X and find the Leo II/Cleo to be smoother and a little warmer, where Horus X has that magical sparkle I crave up top. More bass on the Leo II/Cleo, fuller mids, but on something like the LX I prefer the Horus. On something like an Odin, I enjoy Code 51, then Leo II/Cleo and Horus X last.

Didn't I suggest that you not go down the cable rabbit hole?!?! :)

-Collin-

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #28,257 of 40,675
Anyone here ever compare the Horus to the Leo II? Now that I’ve had a chance to appreciate the synergy of the Leo II with the LX I’m curious how it stacks up to the Horus.
The one line I am not willing to cross is paying more for a cable than my IEMs.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #28,258 of 40,675
Haha I’m sure you won’t be disappointed, it’s mind boggingly good.... Odin is better in pretty much every aspect but it does have a very different signature above the bass so I hope you’ve taken that into consideration.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #28,260 of 40,675
I have no doubt. Some people find the Elysium's and Andromeda's bass more than enough. The LX just seems to have this reputation for overwhelming bass, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. To each his own in this wonderful, crazy hobby of ours.
Sometimes I feel my bass preference to be all over the place. It's been a while since I've touched the LX, so I'll have to revisit it with the Odin in hand. I have a nagging suspicion, it might be going up in valuation slighty at the least from my "merrrrrr bass cannons". I was originally planning to wait till the temperature got a bit more springy for a visit, but it's gonna wait with a stay at home order for the next month or so at the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back