Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 8, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #28,291 of 40,676
The LX doesn't?
The LX's bass is different in character. It's not as textured and defined as the Odin's and the Z1R's, its smoother and somewhat more 'boomy' for lack of a better term. Still some of the best bass I've heard but I believe it was tuned this way in order to stay coherent and in line with the rest of the thick, lush sound that the LX is renowned for and to fill out the 'floor' of the soundstage more. The LX's soundstage is slightly wider than Odin's to my ears and I think this is mostly down to its bass presentation.... sounds a lot like floor standing speakers whereas Odin is more airy, concise and vivid. Really quite complimentary IEM's in character.

EDIT - I feel like I need to re-word this as 'boomy' could have some negative connotations attached to it. It's not boomy like in the bloated sense, it's just tuned to exude a sense of grandeur more so than Odin's. Whereas Odin's bass is more about precision and layers etc. If someone who is more articulate than me and who has heard both wants to explain better then please feel free haha.... And bearing in mind that this is in relation to two of the finest bass's I've heard in IEM's, both are miles ahead of anything else I've heard other than the Z1R which does play ball in texture and timbre.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #28,292 of 40,676
The LX's bass is different in character. It's not as textured and defined as the Odin's and the Z1R's, its smoother and somewhat more 'boomy' for lack of a better term. Still some of the best bass I've heard but I believe it was tuned this way in order to stay coherent and in line with the rest of the thick, lush sound that the LX is renowned for and to fill out the 'floor' of the soundstage more. The LX's soundstage is slightly wider than Odin's to my ears and I think this is mostly down to its bass presentation.... sounds a lot like floor standing speakers whereas Odin is more airy, concise and vivid. Really quite complimentary IEM's in character.
This is why I say if you have ODIN and X you could be satisfied and done with your search. The one problem is none of us are hardwired to stop the quest.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #28,293 of 40,676
This is why I say if you have ODIN and X you could be satisfied and done with your search. The one problem is none of us are hardwired to stop the quest.
@subguy812 have a read of my revised post and see if you would add anything that you think I may have missed or could be misconstrued, you've had extensive use of both.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #28,294 of 40,676

there is a solution to your problem actually, it has 2 words in it.

Empty Wallet.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #28,295 of 40,676

EDIT - I feel like I need to re-word this as 'boomy' could have some negative connotations attached to it. It's not boomy like in the bloated sense, it's just tuned to exude a sense of grandeur more so than Odin's. Whereas Odin's bass is more about precision and layers etc. If someone who is more articulate than me and who has heard both wants to explain better then please feel free haha.... And bearing in mind that this is in relation to two of the finest bass's I've heard in IEM's, both are miles ahead of anything else I've heard other than the Z1R which does play ball in texture and timbre.
You hit the nail on the head IMO. It is boomy, but in the highest of levels (not negative connotation as you said). Much like a “club” sound or large subwoofer. It still retains top tier technicalities across the rest of the frequencies while the bass being the star of the show. It’s just “harder” to notice the other strengths because the bass is elevated.

Odin is tighter, cleaner, faster and more controlled with more subbass extension-but with that clarity, it does at the expense of some warmth/fun that several people have noted. Great compliments as sub guy mentioned.

Z1R bass is a quicker decay than LX, more subbass focused and addicting in its own regard. But for those looking for thunderous, visceral slams, LX>Odin & Z1R & pretty much anything else lol.

I owned the LX for a year, which is more than any IEM by a long shot, but ultimately the bass was a bit overwhelming for me. I realized I’m not as much of a bass head as I thought I was. I’m a **** for mids now 🙄. But I do miss it for guilty listening lol

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #28,296 of 40,676
You hit the nail on the head IMO. It is boomy, but in the highest of levels (not negative connotation as you said). Much like a “club” sound or large subwoofer. It still retains top tier technicalities across the rest of the frequencies while the bass being the star of the show. It’s just “harder” to notice the other strengths because the bass is elevated.

Odin is tighter, cleaner, faster and more controlled with more subbass extension-but with that clarity, it does at the expense of some warmth/fun that several people have noted. Great compliments as sub guy mentioned.

Z1R bass is a quicker decay than LX, more subbass focused and addicting in its own regard. But for those looking for thunderous, visceral slams, LX>Odin & Z1R & pretty much anything else lol.

I owned the LX for a year, which is more than any IEM by a long shot, but ultimately the bass was a bit overwhelming for me. I realized I’m not as much of a bass head as I thought I was. I’m a **** for mids now 🙄. But I do miss it for guilty listening lol
Odin, LX and Z1R are all different from each other which is why I bought all 3 of them.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #28,299 of 40,676
The obvious direct upgrade to the Bravado MKII would be the LX but with a world of difference in technicalities. Much wider, airy and open with much smoother, detailed sound. Bass is on another level but doesn’t ruin the rest of the tuning.

The Valkyrie has emphasized sub bass but less mid bass that rolls into very clean and detailed mids/treble. It’s V shaped but doesn’t sound as scooped in the lower mids and many would assume. Upper mids focused instruments and vocals are very clean and clear. Not a ton of warmth but not cold.

The Odin is very balanced with insane detail and clarity with a guttural but well tuned bass presence. It’s hard to describe because it’s truly on another level.

Thanks for the response. I had the LX about 1 1/2 years ago and from memory I felt it the direct upgrade from the original Bravado. I had a bad match with a dap that made them feel like there were two things happening, the bass and the rest of the music. The original Bravado had that too and I didn’t think the single BA was enough. Going to the LX was a big step and after getting a better dap and cable it sounded great but I still didn’t feel it was the best choice for me and my music as my only iem. But with the Bravado Mk2 it’s a much better all around iem than the first version and to my memory maybe a better all around iem than the LX though not technically better.. just a balance thing. I think there’s something about the ESTs that I just really like for the natural clean treble or the new woofer is cleaner or something because I just love this version of the Bravado.
I can see from the graph of the Valkyrie that it’s probably a different tuning rather than a refinement.. just thinking aloud I guess and wondering how to get "more" of this great Bravado 2 tuning.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #28,301 of 40,676
I can’t believe how hard it is to pick a favorite between the LX and LX SE. Both have their own unique sound signatures despite many similarities. I went into this testing several days ago thinking there’d be an easy winner but boy was I wrong.
Toss a coin. :)

Apr 9, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #28,303 of 40,676
LX has the exact bass I want for all my hip-hop with a fun sound signature whereas the SE has a more well balanced sound signature overall without sacrificing a whole lot of low end bass to pull it off.
I haven't heard the LX SE yet, I wish I could compare it to my really seasoned LX. But within my IEMs and the ones I tried, the LX it's quite versatile. It can go from a nice balanced IEM for acoustics or 80's rocks to be quite deep and dynamic for the modern electronic recorded songs and styles like hip-hop and top DJs (I don't bother distinct the electronic genre anymore ).

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #28,304 of 40,676
I haven't heard the LX SE yet, I wish I could compare it to my really seasoned LX. But within my IEMs and the ones I tried, the LX it's quite versatile. It can go from a nice balanced IEM for acoustics or 80's rocks to be quite deep and dynamic for the modern electronic recorded songs and styles like hip-hop and top DJs (I don't bother distinct the electronic genre anymore ).
Agree, LX is definitely the more versatile of my two IEMs (the other being Fourte), and honestly it would make for a great one IEM solution as the bass is spot on perfect for my taste. That said, there's no replacing the Fourte's technical strengths and unorthodox tuning, so for now it stays put.

I'm not a fan of hording IEMs with 'subtle' differences, especially at these stratospheric price points. They must not overlap too much and be complementary to each other, but switching kilobuck IEMs for a little more of this or a little less of that doesn't make sense to me. 0.02.

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #28,305 of 40,676
I can’t believe how hard it is to pick a favorite between the LX and LX SE. Both have their own unique sound signatures despite many similarities. I went into this testing several days ago thinking there’d be an easy winner but boy was I wrong.

A true first world problem 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back