Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 22, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #27,091 of 40,680
How's the CP145s affect the bass of Hero? Personally, the treble only bothers me if I'm listening too loud, but that's usually because I want to feel moar of that bass and so I crank things up (I have this "issue" with most iems, btw :) When I EQ up the bass I don't have issues with the treble since I'm not listening as loudly, but it'd be nice if some tips could tame the treble a bit and not affect the bass. Do the CP145 do this?
When compared to Sedna earfit lights the spinfits sound more precise but slightly more closed in. With the earfits the soundstage and treble sounded a little more diffuse and it seemed to take away from the 'floaty' vocals that it has. Strangely, I found that I encountered harshness with the Sedna's as well on certain tracks which I don't get with the spinfits pointing right at my ear drums haha. I think the spinfits also play into the strengths of what Hero's signature was meant to accomplish, I get the feeling that it wasn't really created to push the boundaries of what an IEM can accomplish in terms of soundstage... definitely more of a focused, clean signature with an emphasis on dynamics, layering and sub bass.

EDIT: Just realised that I didn't really answer your question. I hadn't noticed a huge change in bass when changing the tips. Maybe the perception of slightly more impact but no change in quantity.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #27,092 of 40,680
When compared to Sedna earfit lights the spinfits sound more precise but slightly more closed in. With the earfits the soundstage and treble sounded a little more diffuse and it seemed to take away from the 'floaty' vocals that it has. Strangely, I found that I encountered harshness with the Sedna's as well on certain tracks which I don't get with the spinfits pointing right at my ear drums haha. I think the spinfits also play into the strengths of what Hero's signature was meant to accomplish, I get the feeling that it wasn't really created to push the boundaries of what an IEM can accomplish in terms of soundstage... definitely more of a focused, clean signature with an emphasis on dynamics, layering and sub bass.

EDIT: Just realised that I didn't really answer your question. I hadn't noticed a huge change in bass when changing the tips. Maybe the perception of slightly more impact but no change in quantity.
Thanks @Tristy! I was also in interested about how the Spinfits changed things in general so thank you for all of the detail. Also very glad to hear they don't reduce the bass quantity and may add impact. All together, the changes you've described sound quite interesting, so I think I'll give the Spinfits a shot :)

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #27,093 of 40,680
Thanks @Tristy! I was also in interested about how the Spinfits changed things in general so thank you for all of the detail. Also very glad to hear they don't reduce the bass quantity and may add impact. All together, the changes you've described sound quite interesting, so I think I'll give the Spinfits a shot :)
No problem! Do let us know how they are for you! I also find them very comfortable which is always a bonus.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #27,094 of 40,680
Speaking of Bravado MkII, a big shout out to @JoshWatkins for giving me the opportunity to check out one of Empire's latest creations. I only recently got my first taste of Empire's IEMs with the Legend X, and it's already exceeded what I thought possible in an IEM: life-size subwoofers perfectly integrated into a balanced and refined high-end speaker system. So when Josh suggested I take the new Bravados for a spin, who was I to argue?

I'll be posting my first impressions, and a more detailed review, in the days and weeks to come, but for now I thought I'd share my slightly unorthodox version of an 'unboxing video'. Turn the volume up and enjoy!

I’ll be ordering them soon.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #27,095 of 40,680
How's the CP145s affect the bass of Hero? Personally, the treble only bothers me if I'm listening too loud, but that's usually because I want to feel moar of that bass and so I crank things up (I have this "issue" with most iems, btw :) When I EQ up the bass I don't have issues with the treble since I'm not listening as loudly, but it'd be nice if some tips could tame the treble a bit and not affect the bass. Do the CP145 do this?
Id really recommend trying whirlwind tips. They will calm down upper treble slighty. And soudstage is great on them. I recently went through my tip collection after boying R8. They are dirt cheap too If you dont have them yet.

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #27,097 of 40,680
Does EE have transferable warranty for universals?

I looked at Empire Ears FAQ and their warranty and it does not specify. I think they need to specify in their warranty information one way or the other. @Jack Vang should be able to answer.

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #27,098 of 40,680
Does EE have transferable warranty for universals?

For me, it seems like they warranty the product not the consumer/customer, if that makes sense. From everything I’ve read/experienced/seen, EE offers amazing customer service. I haven’t seen a case where they weren’t willing to work with someone. @mwhals I’m sure Jack will have an answer soon now that you put up the bat signal 😉

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #27,099 of 40,680
Hmm that is really surprising to me. Especially with the N3pro. Saying that, I heard some harshness with some of the tips you mentioned with my SE200 and poorly mastered tracks. It wasn't until I changed tips to the Spinfit CP145's that I detect no harshness at all. I am using a different cable and DAP to you though so I guess its like comparing apples and oranges.
I probably have spin fit 145s. I’ll try them on Bravado2.
Re, daps/hero, I had issues with several iems and treble using N3pro. R5 less so but only because mseb could kind of artificially adjust. Treble too harsh and narrow, either single or balanced. Shan m6pro, issue resolved. Shocked me. Maybe N3pro tuning didn’t suit my auditory peculiarities?
You mentioned cables. Can you recommend a few for B2 that won’t break the bank? Stock seems quality but brittle as hell. I have several quality after market 0.78 cables but, just like my 3dt, darn pins won’t insert more than half way. Such a drag. Cables drive me crazy.
Oh yeah, getting mucho driver flex on B2, more so by far than other iems I’ve had. Thanks

Feb 23, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #27,100 of 40,680
I probably have spin fit 145s. I’ll try them on Bravado2.
Re, daps/hero, I had issues with several iems and treble using N3pro. R5 less so but only because mseb could kind of artificially adjust. Treble too harsh and narrow, either single or balanced. Shan m6pro, issue resolved. Shocked me. Maybe N3pro tuning didn’t suit my auditory peculiarities?
You mentioned cables. Can you recommend a few for B2 that won’t break the bank? Stock seems quality but brittle as hell. I have several quality after market 0.78 cables but, just like my 3dt, darn pins won’t insert more than half way. Such a drag. Cables drive me crazy.
Oh yeah, getting mucho driver flex on B2, more so by far than other iems I’ve had. Thanks

Driver flex is pretty common with weapon 9 iems, I wouldn’t worry too much. If the B2 is anything like the Legend X it would benefit from some silver in the cable. I use a plusSound x8 silver + gold on my LX and it’s the best pairing I’ve tried on it. I’ve also tried the plussound tri-copper but it didn’t sound as dynamic and vivid. I also highly rec the pw audio Loki, seems to work universally well with all IEM’s I’ve tried them with. Just seems to bump the resolution up a few steps, improves detail retrieval and layering and makes the bass slightly tighter while keeping the warmth of copper.

Feb 23, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #27,101 of 40,680
Driver flex is pretty common with weapon 9 iems, I wouldn’t worry too much. If the B2 is anything like the Legend X it would benefit from some silver in the cable. I use a plusSound x8 silver + gold on my LX and it’s the best pairing I’ve tried on it. I’ve also tried the plussound tri-copper but it didn’t sound as dynamic and vivid. I also highly rec the pw audio Loki, seems to work universally well with all IEM’s I’ve tried them with. Just seems to bump the resolution up a few steps, improves detail retrieval and layering and makes the bass slightly tighter while keeping the warmth of copper.
Thanks for the informative and friendly reply

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #27,102 of 40,680
So, following on from yesterday's unboxing, I think some early impressions of the Bravado MkII are in order.

First thing that comes to mind is the name of this IEM is very apt...Bravado,meaning bold, with an intent to impress. This is very much a bold and, dare I say, aggressive sound, not quite as V-shaped as some have suggested, more a wonky W (wonky because the upticks of the W vary depending on the track, though on the whole the bass elevation is the highest). That's NOT to say it sounds wonky, but it definitely doesn't take any prisoners either.

There's a viscerally to the Bravado II's bass that I haven't really heard in any other IEM. Yes the Legend X comes to mind when you think of 'big bass' in an IEM, but this is something very different. This is a potent bass, unapologetic, but not OTT either. It doesn't quite have the refinement and control of the Legend X (I guess one Weapon IX+ doesn't quite equal dual Weapon IX drivers), but isn't loose and boomy either. In fact, since we're talking Legend X, other than both having 'elevated' bass, that's probably where the similarities between the two end for me. To my ears this not a mini Legend, maybe superficially but not in tonality or technicalities. It's far more unabashed and wild around the edges than its tuxedo-and-cigars big brother. A lot of guilty fun for sure.

Subtlety is not what the Bravado II is tuned for, in my experience with it so far. I've been burning it in for about 4 days now, but the forward upper mids and strident treble haven't really settled much. This is not a knock on the tuning, mind you, because I know many clamour for this type of aggressive upper mids/lower treble tuning in their sound, and crave the energy it brings to different types of music. So if soft, sweet and relaxing female vocals with dreamy guitars are what you're wanting, this is probably not the right fit for you. Also, by strident I don't mean sibilant; I haven't had any issues with sibilance so far, which is interesting considering the graph peaks suggest otherwise, but I'm not hearing it. Maybe it's the Spiral Dot tips I'm using (for some reason, Final E tips just don't gel well with me at all), but upper range vocals, while sometimes brash, are rarely essy.

Bravado II is basically the IEM you pack in your pocket and bring to a rave, or rather, put in your ears and make believe you're at a rave. Anything with a drop will sound deliciously potent with these, so much so that you really have to be careful not to overdo it, and go easy on the volume, unless you want permanent tinnitus before you're 40. There's plenty of detail too, and the stage, while not Legend X-sized, is still wide enough to let the music breathe.

That's about where I'm at right now. I'm taking lots of notes and will pen a proper review in the coming weeks. Meanwhile, some more pics to enjoy below.

BravadoII_18.jpegBravadoII_19.jpegBravadoII_20.jpegBravadoII_21.jpeg

PS. On the issue of fit: if you DO have a Legend X, you should know the Bravado II is quite a bit larger, with a longer nozzle. I understand this is the new Odin-sized shell that Empire is using, and to be honest, I like it less than the Legend's. Bravado almost demands a deeper insert, and I don't like deep insert IEMs much. In fact I use tips just large enough to wedge into the opening of my ear canals and go no further. With B2 this makes the shells jut out of my ears more, and they don't sit flush like the Legends. Here's hoping if and when the Legend X successor arrives, @Jack Vang and the crew keep the same original shell and shallower-fit design.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back