Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 20, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #27,078 of 40,668
If I was about 2 years younger and in my Phantom days, this would have tugged at my heartstrings in attempt to alleviate the upper mids/lower treble region. Alas, experience has taught me no amount of unobtainium cable will *fix* an iem. Foiled again Erik!

I still love it from the upper mids down and this looks gorgeous though!
Never had those issues with the Phantom, they have always been pure bliss for me and Code 51 pairs really nicely. Add the LPGT and I am one very happy camper. :grin:

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #27,079 of 40,668
Never had those issues with the Phantom, they have always been pure bliss for me and Code 51 pairs really nicely. Add the LPGT and I am one very happy camper. :grin:

The Hiby R8 sounds great with Phantom too. If I didn’t have the R8, the LPGT would be the dap I would buy.

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #27,080 of 40,668
why didn't you like it
Shrill treble, artificial tonality re jazz brass/woodwinds. However, my daps at the time contributed to that, I believe. Unsure what I’d make of it now with Shanling m6pro, which has proved a better source and my iems reflect this.
Listening Bravado mkII and it’s great.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #27,081 of 40,668
Got around to spiral dots on Bmk2. Wow. What an iem! Neither Finals nor Acoustune suited. Finals narrow sound field too much. Gorgeous full dynamic sound with spirals. Experience I was hoping for from Hero. But by god this thing needs a different cable. Feels like it’s wrapped in twigs

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #27,082 of 40,668
Shrill treble, artificial tonality re jazz brass/woodwinds. However, my daps at the time contributed to that, I believe. Unsure what I’d make of it now with Shanling m6pro, which has proved a better source and my iems reflect this.
Listening Bravado mkII and it’s great.
What’s tips and source did you use Hero with?

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #27,083 of 40,668
Speaking of Bravado MkII, a big shout out to @JoshWatkins for giving me the opportunity to check out one of Empire's latest creations. I only recently got my first taste of Empire's IEMs with the Legend X, and it's already exceeded what I thought possible in an IEM: life-size subwoofers perfectly integrated into a balanced and refined high-end speaker system. So when Josh suggested I take the new Bravados for a spin, who was I to argue?

I'll be posting my first impressions, and a more detailed review, in the days and weeks to come, but for now I thought I'd share my slightly unorthodox version of an 'unboxing video'. Turn the volume up and enjoy!

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #27,084 of 40,668
Speaking of Bravado MkII, a big shout out to @JoshWatkins for giving me the opportunity to check out one of Empire's latest creations. I only recently got my first taste of Empire's IEMs with the Legend X, and it's already exceeded what I thought possible in an IEM: life-size subwoofers perfectly integrated into a balanced and refined high-end speaker system. So when Josh suggested I take the new Bravados for a spin, who was I to argue?

I'll be posting my first impressions, and a more detailed review, in the days and weeks to come, but for now I thought I'd share my slightly unorthodox version of an 'unboxing video'. Turn the volume up and enjoy!

EPIC unboxing man!

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #27,086 of 40,668
R5 & N3pro. Final tips, Sednas, spirals. 3.5 stock cable
Hmm that is really surprising to me. Especially with the N3pro. Saying that, I heard some harshness with some of the tips you mentioned with my SE200 and poorly mastered tracks. It wasn't until I changed tips to the Spinfit CP145's that I detect no harshness at all. I am using a different cable and DAP to you though so I guess its like comparing apples and oranges.

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #27,087 of 40,668
Feb 22, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #27,089 of 40,668
How does it hold up to the Monarch? Monarch is meant to be a technical powerhouse isn't it?
I am not able to give a meaningful comparison technically. I use the Hero principally with my HiBy R8 and like it. I use the Monarch with the Fiio bluetooth adapter UTWS2. It provides the best bluetooth sound I have heard when paired to any of several DAPs (A&K Alpha, Sony ZX 507, HiBy R8) and even a full Android smartwatch Kospet Prime 2).

Feb 22, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #27,090 of 40,668
Hmm that is really surprising to me. Especially with the N3pro. Saying that, I heard some harshness with some of the tips you mentioned with my SE200 and poorly mastered tracks. It wasn't until I changed tips to the Spinfit CP145's that I detect no harshness at all. I am using a different cable and DAP to you though so I guess its like comparing apples and oranges.
How's the CP145s affect the bass of Hero? Personally, the treble only bothers me if I'm listening too loud, but that's usually because I want to feel moar of that bass and so I crank things up (I have this "issue" with most iems, btw :) When I EQ up the bass I don't have issues with the treble since I'm not listening as loudly, but it'd be nice if some tips could tame the treble a bit and not affect the bass. Do the CP145 do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back