Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 29, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #21,466 of 40,724

It does look like there is some more presence in the mids...subtle but based on this definitely noticeable.
I assume these "SEs" are the HK variant, which do have different internal wiring and thus different tuning.
The Japanese versions, however, I am speculating only differ in the faceplate.
I've asked Dylan at EE to clarify. It's a bit confusing, to be honest.

Edit - if I didn't mention before, the HK variants were exclusive to Crystal Sound Audio in HK.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #21,467 of 40,724
The info I received was from EE directly.
He was not 100% certain on the quantity produced (he wasn't sure of the price, either); he did say it was a collaboration with their HK distributor, so I'm a little surprised to hear they are available in Japan - do we know these are new, and not used?

He did confirm that the only difference between the LX and the LX SE is the internal Effect Audio wiring - that's the only thing changing the tuning (other than aesthetics, of course). I did not ask if there are differences between the Gold and Silver, but I assume he would have offered it up given the questions I was asking.

Get the silvers if you want to be 110% certain. I got the golds because I was inspired by the pic below and then found out that they could be SEs. They sound great to me though and I can't stop listening to them.

IMG_8997-Edit_1600x750.jpg

May 29, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #21,468 of 40,724
Get the silvers if you want to be 110% certain. I got the golds because I was inspired by the pic below and then found out that they could be SEs. They sound great to me though and I can't stop listening to them.

IMG_8997-Edit_1600x750.jpg
Waiting to see which, between the silver SE and the standard LX, @Damz87 prefers :)

May 30, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #21,469 of 40,724
Silver LXse sounds so much better than stock LX for me. SE is wider with a more balanced tuning (though far from sounding neutral, still fun as hell). With SE my main focus is not the Bass anymore, I'm more impressed with the rich / lush overall presentation and the revealing details everywhere. On stock LX the details are not as prominent, and the staging is comparatively congested. Bass is more boomy too that kinda steals the show.

May 30, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #21,470 of 40,724
Btw mine was a custom ordered from HK with exclusive silver faceplates so I'm 120% it's SE edition.
Actually in China u can only order SE edition as they told me stock LX is off market in China. When i reshell my custom pair i switched the right side to the JP gold faceplate, but it's still 120% a SE edition inside.

May 30, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #21,471 of 40,724

It does look like there is some more presence in the mids...subtle but based on this definitely noticeable.

A difference of 3dB should definitely be noticeable. It's the typical amount I'd change in a mix for the common individual to go, "Oh, I hear a difference there!"; let alone, experienced audiophiles. :D

May 30, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #21,472 of 40,724
Interesting...I wonder if the silver and gold have the same internals and FR...which one did you order?
To my knowledge, there are 2 different LXSE, 1 is from Hong Kong, and 1 is from Japan. Actually, if you pay attention to EE news there is a Phantom special edition call Phantom X that is from Singapore.

The one from HK has changed the internal wiring, so it will sound different than the normal LX, and the Japan one does not have the same internal wiring as the HK one. Japan LXSE only different is the faceplate from the normal LX.

As for the number on how many they produced, of course I do not know, 2 different SE normally just have universal fit, but with more limited number has the custom fit for SE.

Then again that is what I learn from a reliable source, but maybe I am wrong too.

May 30, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #21,473 of 40,724
To my knowledge, there are 2 different LXSE, 1 is from Hong Kong, and 1 is from Japan. Actually, if you pay attention to EE news there is a Phantom special edition call Phantom X that is from Singapore.

The one from HK has changed the internal wiring, so it will sound different than the normal LX, and the Japan one does not have the same internal wiring as the HK one. Japan LXSE only different is the faceplate from the normal LX.

As for the number on how many they produced, of course I do not know, 2 different SE normally just have universal fit, but with more limited number has the custom fit for SE.

Then again that is what I learn from a reliable source, but maybe I am wrong too.
This is my understanding as well (diff between HK and JP versions) - HK version has all internal wiring from Effect Audio and so has a slightly different tuning; JP version is just a different (gold) faceplate.
I’ve asked EE to confirm.

May 30, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #21,474 of 40,724
May 30, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #21,475 of 40,724
The golds are already tops driven from my modified 1A and PW1960s. Mids are lush and warm and are anything but recessed esp vs the Z1Rs. I can’t find fault with the treble either but I notice the 1960 scales both resolution and treble noticeably vs the 8 wire PW no. 5. Maybe the gears I have is driving it well. But If they are the same as the normal LX, then the silver HK SEs should be even better.

May 30, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #21,476 of 40,724
I am confused by this graph comparison between Nemesis and Legend X as it seems Nemesis has more sub-bass and peak treble, while LX has more midbass and slightly warmer sounding than Nemesis, but in actuality it seems Legend X has more bass and treble as well?

2020-05-30_19-04-33.png

May 31, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #21,478 of 40,724
I am confused by this graph comparison between Nemesis and Legend X as it seems Nemesis has more sub-bass and peak treble, while LX has more midbass and slightly warmer sounding than Nemesis, but in actuality it seems Legend X has more bass and treble as well?

2020-05-30_19-04-33.png
you have to be careful when making these comparisons. that looks like it's equalized at 1kHz, not equal perceived volume—but even if it is at equal volume, that might be equal volume to you.

May 31, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #21,479 of 40,724

2020-05-30_19-04-33.png

Usual disclaimers/reservations about reading measurements aside, I would tend to agree with how this one looks. My most distinct memory of the Nemesis would be a similar tonality to the LX, but with a more prominent (crisper, brighter) lower-treble peak.

May 31, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #21,480 of 40,724
Its that peak at 8Khz that kills the Nemesis for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back