Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 29, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #21,451 of 40,577
I’m curious why a US based company made a limited edition and only offered it to foreign countries. Can anyone confirm that’s accurate ?

CFA did the same thing with Andro MW10. It's likely just due to the fact that the IEM market in Asia utterly dwarfs that in North America.

May 29, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #21,452 of 40,577
Yeah, that is strange. How can it be the best selling totl IEM with only 25 made. Unless it’s only the silver one that is limited to 25?

That's my thought, assuming the 25 number is accurate at all (or that list). If I could read Japanese I would navigate their site and find it.

May 29, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #21,453 of 40,577
Definitely not priced high, ordered a set!

This is complete new(s) to me. Where would I learn about which cables to reduce sibilance?
Here, there and everywhere. Certainly there's plenty of talk here about cables and various EE iems. You can go to this thread.and learn about them, though these folks are talking about higher-priced cable. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hig...ressions-pics-comparisons-and-reviews.804952/
You can look at the websites of various cable companies (Effect Audio, Plussound Audio, Eletech Cables, PWAudio, Moon Audio) are good places to start. Keep in mind that cables and iems and source players all interact differently and there's no magic one-size-fits-all answer. And that a cable that brings down sibilance may affect other areas as well. The best I can suggest is to post what equipment you are using and ask if others have the same and what cables they have tried. As well as what kind of music you listen to and what is playing when you hear sibilance. Just don't rush out and buy a cable expecting a major miracle based on one person's response. Oh, and you don't need to go to a costly cable to get a change. I have a PlusSound Exo copper that tamed sibilance and added some bass on my Zeus and it only cost $150. Of course I also have a $1K PWAudio 1960 copper that does that and a lot more.

May 29, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #21,454 of 40,577
if i don't recall wrong, e-earphone does not ship out to other countries, doesn't it?

May 29, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #21,455 of 40,577
That's my thought, assuming the 25 number is accurate at all (or that list). If I could read Japanese I would navigate their site and find it.

There seems to be more info about the gold one than the silver one. All I could find on the silver version is that it’s a “limited edition” and there’s a photo on a HK blog:
280DD5AC-1667-4AC6-A949-C5EC55C51B7C.jpeg

Whereas the gold version is a “special edition” and an offical name “empire ears legend X Japan Gold” and it has a promo page on empire ears blog:

https://empireears.com/blogs/news/japanese-exclusive-the-midas-touch

May 29, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #21,456 of 40,577
May 29, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #21,457 of 40,577
There seems to be more info about the gold one than the silver one. All I could find on the silver version is that it’s a “limited edition” and there’s a photo on a HK blog:
Whereas the gold version is a “special edition” and an offical name “empire ears legend X Japan Gold” and it has a promo page on empire ears blog:

Interesting...I wonder if the silver and gold have the same internals and FR...which one did you order?

May 29, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #21,459 of 40,577
They are the same according to @Morbideath & @hshock76

I ordered a silver one. I prefer the look of the gold :smile: but as you know, e-earphones won’t ship internationally

I have a friend who lives in Osaka who will help me get one if I ever decide to. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

May 29, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #21,460 of 40,577
I have a friend who lives in Osaka who will help me get one if I ever decide to. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Awesome! Hoping the SE has better treble than the OG. I’m finding it a little too recessed.

Edit: I suspect the final E tips are to blame for the recessed treble. With spiral dots the treble sounds better. The problem with the spirals dots is that they get stuck in my ear when I take the IEM out lol. Ordered some Azla Sednas so hopefully they are the solution :)

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #21,461 of 40,577
Awesome! Hoping the SE has better treble than the OG. I’m finding it a little too recessed.

Edit: I suspect the final E tips are to blame for the recessed treble. With spiral dots the treble sounds better. The problem with the spirals dots is that they get stuck in my ear when I take the IEM out lol. Ordered some Azla Sednas so hopefully they are the solution :)

Sednas are what you want, or Spiral Dots ++ as they both have a thicker bore that grips the LX better. I agree about the treble, it leaves me craving "air" after long sessions with the LX..something that's become more apparent this last week as my SE was sent in for warranty repairs so the LX has been my only IEM for the past 11 days or so.

May 29, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #21,462 of 40,577
Universal only! The LX SE has a wider soundstage, more forward mids, and an extended treble. Aesthetically, it's also different from our standard universals -- it has a brushed aluminum faceplate and storm shell.
eUjSYPG.jpg

Shiiiiny........​

There are very little official information on the tuning of the gold and silver limited edition LXs. I can confirm that the silver HK SEs are tuned different and the for the golds, if was suggested by an EE representative (see above) that it has a different tuning as well.

I have been listening to the Gold LXs for a week plus now and I simply love them. I have not heard a normal LX so can't provided comparisons but I do not find the mids recessed at all. Treble is good extension as well and I do not find it lacking vs the Z1R. Bass is great but I am more impressed with the mids to be honest. Its warm and full of body which is great for the vocal tracks I listen to. Resolution, sound stage, imaging and separation are all performing at TOTL levels to me and I do not find anything lacking. I am certain anyone who loves the normal LX should enjoy the SEs even more.

May 29, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #21,463 of 40,577
There are very little official information on the tuning of the gold and silver limited edition LXs. I can confirm that the silver HK SEs are tuned different and the for the golds, if was suggested by an EE representative (see above) that it has a different tuning as well.

I have been listening to the Gold LXs for a week plus now and I simply love them. I have not heard a normal LX so can't provided comparisons but I do not find the mids recessed at all. Treble is good extension as well and I do not find it lacking vs the Z1R. Bass is great but I am more impressed with the mids to be honest. Its warm and full of body which is great for the vocal tracks I listen to. Resolution, sound stage, imaging and separation are all performing at TOTL levels to me and I do not find anything lacking. I am certain anyone who loves the normal LX should enjoy the SEs even more.
The info I received was from EE directly.
He was not 100% certain on the quantity produced (he wasn't sure of the price, either); he did say it was a collaboration with their HK distributor, so I'm a little surprised to hear they are available in Japan - do we know these are new, and not used?

He did confirm that the only difference between the LX and the LX SE is the internal Effect Audio wiring - that's the only thing changing the tuning (other than aesthetics, of course). I did not ask if there are differences between the Gold and Silver, but I assume he would have offered it up given the questions I was asking.

May 29, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #21,464 of 40,577

This post makes the Japanese version sound like the only difference is aesthetic...at least that's my take on it. Nothing in the post suggests different tuning, etc.

May 29, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #21,465 of 40,577
This post makes the Japanese version sound like the only difference is aesthetic...at least that's my take on it. Nothing in the post suggests different tuning, etc.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 5.07.25 PM.png

It does look like there is some more presence in the mids...subtle but based on this definitely noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back