Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 28, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #21,437 of 40,526
Possibly try to get a deeper or shallower insertion depth to see if that effects it. Generic double flange tips could be useful.

I normally shove them all the way in, pulled them out halfway and that definitely helped a bit! If I pull them out more I lose the seal and bass. Is there a type of tip I should be looking for to get the same effect without losing the seal and bass?

May 28, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #21,438 of 40,526
I noticed that those brands don't go too well with sensible IEMs. but on the other hand I haven't heard the Nemesis. I have no problem with my LX though.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #21,439 of 40,526
I normally shove them all the way in, pulled them out halfway and that definitely helped a bit! If I pull them out more I lose the seal and bass. Is there a type of tip I should be looking for to get the same effect without losing the seal and bass?
I find TENNMAK Whirlwinds to calm down treble a bit. They do reduce bass a bit bit too but shallow fit and very wide bore increases the soundstage quite a bit too.
They are dirt cheap too so wont hurt to try.

I think they changed name to Tornado now. Here is how they look;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tennmak-Replacement-Whirlwind-Earphone-Silicone/dp/B0787VLNBG

May 29, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #21,440 of 40,526
The treble peak on crinacle's Nemesis graph looks big. I ordered one for myself anyway (relief edition discount) but i'm pretty sure i'll use parametric equalizer for it.

Attachments

• 20200529_233237.jpg
    20200529_233237.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #21,441 of 40,526
I received my Nemesis, and am quite happy with them. These are a huge step up for me, coming from FLC 8S. Thanks for the board members who helped me pick the right model from Empire Ears!

Bass is hugely improved, not too overpowering but very solid, exactly what I was looking for. Overall clarity is night and day compared to 8S. It's very clear when comparing them head-to-head. The production quality is unparalleled, love the over-engineered carrying box - it's so nice now I need a carrying bag for the carrying box :thinking: And that outrageous-looking cable!

The folks at Empire Ears were very helpful - and I lucked out to get them to the Netherlands without paying taxes which was a relief.

Only issue is I'm getting some sibilance in highs. I was able to tame much of it with the sibilance controls on my HiBy R5. Any suggestions on how to reduce it further? Would burn-in help?

And here my Nemesis next to my Nemesis board game, listening to Arch Enemy's Nemesis :metal:

L16_03067-1.jpg
If you had a tv near by you could have had Star Trek : Nemesis in the background on (or not as it's duff).

May 29, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #21,442 of 40,526
Foam tips- Comply. As stated, increases warmth and decreases treble. Not a bad trade off sometimes, depending on your equipment and signature needs

Silicone/foam hybrid- Symbio. I found them to increase bass slightly but also added a bit of harshness to treble

Silicone. Sedna. Better than FA, large bore so no material impedes the sound coming out of the sound tubes. They claim some sort of special-grade silicon, they claim best-selling tips in Japan, they claim incredible sound. I agree, these things are great. You may have to play a bit with size, and they aren't cheapies. I started at ML, went to M, finally settled on MS on the left and M for the right. They hold up for many months (I walk with mine, so sweat will eventually eat through them), better than FA's. These will not get rid of sibilance the way the Comply will. That's not what they are for. If you have too much sibilance, you're better off playing with cables.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083GFWXYB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never had luck with SpinFit, Spiral Dot or double/triple flange.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #21,444 of 40,526
Foam tips- Comply. As stated, increases warmth and decreases treble. Not a bad trade off sometimes, depending on your equipment and signature needs

Silicone/foam hybrid- Symbio. I found them to increase bass slightly but also added a bit of harshness to treble

Silicone. Sedna. Better than FA, large bore so no material impedes the sound coming out of the sound tubes. They claim some sort of special-grade silicon, they claim best-selling tips in Japan, they claim incredible sound. I agree, these things are great. You may have to play a bit with size, and they aren't cheapies. I started at ML, went to M, finally settled on MS on the left and M for the right. They hold up for many months (I walk with mine, so sweat will eventually eat through them), better than FA's. These will not get rid of sibilance the way the Comply will. That's not what they are for. If you have too much sibilance, you're better off playing with cables.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083GFWXYB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never had luck with SpinFit, Spiral Dot or double/triple flange.
I would agree with complys reducing treble best.
Unfortunately they have poor durability and make bass sounda bit bloated.
My personal best foams are CA Marshmallows. They are the least treble taming foams i have tried, i and keep best bass texture for foam.
But we are talking about tips, they will work better on some iems and worse for other.

May 29, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #21,445 of 40,526
I find TENNMAK Whirlwinds to calm down treble a bit. They do reduce bass a bit bit too but shallow fit and very wide bore increases the soundstage quite a bit too.
They are dirt cheap too so wont hurt to try.

I think they changed name to Tornado now. Here is how they look;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tennmak-Replacement-Whirlwind-Earphone-Silicone/dp/B0787VLNBG

Definitely not priced high, ordered a set!

If you have too much sibilance, you're better off playing with cables.

This is complete new(s) to me. Where would I learn about which cables to reduce sibilance?

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #21,446 of 40,526
The SE was exclusive to our dealer Crystal Sound Audio in Hong Kong.

That's interesting. You can currently order it from e-earphone in Japan. Incidentally e-earphone listed the LX SE as it's best selling TOTL IEM last year-- above the IER Z1R and Andromeda, which took the second and third spots respectively. I wonder if there is more than one "SE".

May 29, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #21,447 of 40,526
That's interesting. You can currently order it from e-earphone in Japan. Incidentally e-earphone listed the LX SE as it's best selling TOTL IEM last year-- above the IER Z1R and Andromeda, which took the second and third spots respectively. I wonder if there is more than one "SE".

E-earphone sell the gold one, and HK have the silver one :)

May 29, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #21,448 of 40,526
E-earphone sell the gold one, and HK have the silver one :)

But there must be more than 25..that's the part that's confusing me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back