Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 12, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #20,026 of 40,584
My saga with the LX continues to evolve. I found a WM1A somewhat locally and I am utterly amazed.
I'm really wondering if all those comments about bass bleed or overpowering bass is more about the source than the LX themselves.
I went from a very disappointed beginning with the Fiio M11 to being astonished with the WM1A.
I'm hearing my music like never before. I'm hearing complex layering of instruments, being able to pick out actual instrumental timbres and being amazed at the composers' genius.
All this rather than listening to "sounds" or "gear".. This is what I want it to be about.. when the gear is good enough to allow me to forget about it and listen into the music.

Good times!
The LX and the WM1a are an amazing combo. Wait until you hear the PWAudio 1950 cable added to the chain. :)

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #20,028 of 40,584
I was thinking about the WM1Z, but might just get the WM1A as I can get it and a Phantom custom for less money than the WM1Z.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #20,029 of 40,584
Getting a lot of enjoyment this snowy morning from the LX listening to Bryan Beller - Scenes From The Flood.

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #20,030 of 40,584
Pairing is just as important as anything else when it comes to iems (including cabling). Sticking the plug of a $2k+ iem in a lower-end DAP or even a phone might or might not get you good sound. But if you want to get the most out of your $2k+ iems, a higher-end or TOTL DAP is the way to go.

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #20,031 of 40,584
Pairing is just as important as anything else when it comes to iems (including cabling). Sticking the plug of a $2k+ iem in a lower-end DAP or even a phone might or might not get you good sound. But if you want to get the most out of your $2k+ iems, a higher-end or TOTL DAP is the way to go.

True but for me this was an unbelievable difference. I still can't get over it and it makes me question myself. I wish I could plug these back into an M11 to compare again. This is a night and day difference in how the bass is presented.

As far as cabling I like the Eros II 8 wire but would like to try the Ares II 8wire again for the warmth.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #20,032 of 40,584
True but for me this was an unbelievable difference. I still can't get over it and it makes me question myself. I wish I could plug these back into an M11 to compare again. This is a night and day difference in how the bass is presented.
Explains at least the many different opinions about the lx and bass bleed :) btw the cowon PL is also a awesome pair up :wink:

Oct 14, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #20,034 of 40,584
That is the IEM I would like to try out, with the Legend X.
You were right about the KSE1200, highs were great, but mids were somewhat weak, and instrument timbre was off by quite a bit.. Overall it was a pretty decent IEM, but the amp is a pain in the @$$.
Good luck with the hunt.

could you elaborate on the instrument timbre point?

Oct 14, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #20,035 of 40,584
Boy, these new Wraith and Valkyrie CIEMs are insane in detail and range. The electrostatics are just amazing in their clarity, I have not heard anything like this in a CIEM. Just got a new Burson Playmate today and am trying them on that and WOW. Both are blowing my HD800 out of the water. These are both approaching exotic territory in this pairing. The Playmate digital volume goes to 100. The Valkyrie is perfect at 15. The Wraith, on the other hand, is sitting volume matched at 1, maybe 2 with 0 offering dead silence. The Wraith is extremely efficient and blowing my mind on this Playmate. Regardless of the clarity and detail, both are full-bodied and very textured making them extremely musical and they have great bass quality and quantity too. These are definitely my favorite CIEMs right now.

I am really dreading sending this tour kit out to start the tour this week. :frowning2:

lol sounds like a great few days testing both. Have you ever tried / owned the KSE1200s? I own them and am enjoying them thoroughly. However - there’s nearly always a however, right - I also wish they had a balanced option (and the little amp is a bit of a hassle), so the Wraith obviously caught my eye on both counts as an electrostatics alternative. Haven’t had the chance to try them yet.

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #20,036 of 40,584
lol sounds like a great few days testing both. Have you ever tried / owned the KSE1200s? I own them and am enjoying them thoroughly. However - there’s nearly always a however, right - I also wish they had a balanced option (and the little amp is a bit of a hassle), so the Wraith obviously caught my eye on both counts as an electrostatics alternative. I haven’t had the chance to try them yet.
I was able to play with the KSE 1200 and 1500 at CANJAM RMAF 2018. I liked both but remembered liking the 1500 more and listening to it the most with the time I had. This was in loud event conditions but did get a good long listen. The 1500 had a magical treble that I really liked, but I felt that the treble came first and the bass was somewhat muted. Could be the seal, but I typically hear the same thing with all 100% electrostatic options like the 009.

Now on the other hand, the Wraith and Valkyrie have that same magical treble that the 1200/1500 offers or even the 009 and more importantly offer a lush bass response at the same time. Scaled on the right source and powered correctly with my desktop setups, I am getting exotic level performance something like the Abyss/009 love child. Direct from my WM1a, they both are top performers beating out most of the other TOTLs. Adding my C&C BH2 amp to the WM1a, they are on top.

I should point out my preferences of a full-sized performance that is lacking without a proper bass performance. In auditioning, I typically turn up the volume until it sounds like I am in the room with the band. Most CIEMs fall apart before getting to this optimized sizing either being too loud or shrill or leaving some instruments or the singer in another room with the door shut. The most typical failure is when the bass feels miniaturized or muted or artificial. The Wraith and the Valkyrie both sound full-sized at lower volumes offering effortless scale and resolution.

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #20,037 of 40,584
I was able to play with the KSE 1200 and 1500 at CANJAM RMAF 2018. I liked both but remembered liking the 1500 more and listening to it the most with the time I had. This was in loud event conditions but did get a good long listen. The 1500 had a magical treble that I really liked, but I felt that the treble came first and the bass was somewhat muted. Could be the seal, but I typically hear the same thing with all 100% electrostatic options like the 009.

Now on the other hand, the Wraith and Valkyrie have that same magical treble that the 1200/1500 offers or even the 009 and more importantly offer a lush bass response at the same time. Scaled on the right source and powered correctly with my desktop setups, I am getting exotic level performance something like the Abyss/009 love child. Direct from my WM1a, they both are top performers beating out most of the other TOTLs. Adding my C&C BH2 amp to the WM1a, they are on top.

I should point out my preferences of a full-sized performance that is lacking without a proper bass performance. In auditioning, I typically turn up the volume until it sounds like I am in the room with the band. Most CIEMs fall apart before getting to this optimized sizing either being too loud or shrill or leaving some instruments or the singer in another room with the door shut. The most typical failure is when the bass feels miniaturized or muted or artificial. The Wraith and the Valkyrie both sound full-sized at lower volumes offering effortless scale and resolution.

Thank you for such a detailed, insightful response. That’s very useful indeed and very much appreciated!

For me it’s a DAP (SP1K SS) and mainly Tidal HiFi/Masters; occasionally 192. Interestingly, I do exactly the same with the volume: I tend to listen to guitar-based bands and like to get a sense of being in the studio while they’re doing pre-production or, at worst. in the control room listening to them print tracks live through great monitors.

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #20,040 of 40,584
Any previews?

0940E933-39D2-46CE-9823-E9AA9E12AD29.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back