Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 21, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #19,772 of 40,560
Valkyrie maybe. Or you could wait for the Odin?

IIRC AAW Canary has a lot of bass as well, but it’s just not that great an IEM.

Is Odin EST based hybrid w/ a DD for the low end? Where can I find more info about the Odin? Quick search on the net isn't revealing much. Thanks.

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #19,773 of 40,560
Is Odin EST based hybrid w/ a DD for the low end? Where can I find more info about the Odin? Quick search on the net isn't revealing much. Thanks.

It supposed to be a flagship tri-brid with ESTs, BAs and DDs. It was teased at a recent event in Hong Kong, but Jack explained that it's still very early in development with nowhere near the final sound tuning. So, it looks like we'll have to wait 'til at least some time into next year until it comes out.

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #19,774 of 40,560
It supposed to be a flagship tri-brid with ESTs, BAs and DDs. It was teased at a recent event in Hong Kong, but Jack explained that it's still very early in development with nowhere near the final sound tuning. So, it looks like we'll have to wait 'til at least some time into next year until it comes out.

Nice!!.... sounds like a hell of a wallet burner! Wheeee!

giphy.gif

At least me and my bank account have enough time to discuss this!

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #19,776 of 40,560
Is there a feeling that Odin is going to surpass the wraith in terms of cost?

I sure hope not. Although I like high-end gear, and don't mind spending extra cash on things non-audiophile might say "3K on an earphones? you're dumb" But I do have my limits. And at that price point, it's definitely not worth it (to me), especially on something purely subjective as IEMs. Truth is, you can find a decent IEMs at any price point, one that'll let you enjoy listening to music.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #19,777 of 40,560
I sure hope not. Although I like high-end gear, and don't mind spending extra cash on things non-audiophile might say "3K on an earphones? you're dumb" But I do have my limits. And at that price point, it's definitely not worth it (to me), especially on something purely subjective as IEMs. Truth is, you can find a decent IEMs at any price point, one that'll let you enjoy listening to music.
Unfortunately for me and my bank account I’m the type of person who gets accustomed to what used to be a high price bracket and suddenly the next tier up doesn’t seem so bad and the cycle continues upward haha

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #19,778 of 40,560
Unfortunately for me and my bank account I’m the type of person who gets accustomed to what used to be a high price bracket and suddenly the next tier up doesn’t seem so bad and the cycle continues upward haha
that's the goal...

anyway, with the price of the LX vs. the price of the Phantom—and the corresponding increase in difficulty for both constructing and tuning a device like the LX over the Phantom, and thus the Odin over the Wraith—it seems clear that the Odin will be more expensive than the Wraith.

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #19,779 of 40,560
Hi guys, update on EVR:

everything sounds perfect on the first impression but after about 10 hours of listening. I know what is missing now. Imaging and highs. Will Zeus serve me better if i want the better imaging and better highs?

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #19,781 of 40,560
Hi guys, update on EVR:

everything sounds perfect on the first impression but after about 10 hours of listening. I know what is missing now. Imaging and highs. Will Zeus serve me better if i want the better imaging and better highs?
yeah but having more highs is going to come at the cost—by default—of a bit of the vocals, I imagine. hence the V in EVR...

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #19,782 of 40,560
yeah but having more highs is going to come at the cost—by default—of a bit of the vocals, I imagine. hence the V in EVR...
i prefer cranking my 10khz above about 5 to 7dB for that sparkle. It solve the sparkle problem but i want imaging. I feel like the airy it gets, the better vocals to my ears. So, should i go with zeus? And if im not mistaken the massdrop edition will be equally the same sound right?

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #19,783 of 40,560
that's the goal...

anyway, with the price of the LX vs. the price of the Phantom—and the corresponding increase in difficulty for both constructing and tuning a device like the LX over the Phantom, and thus the Odin over the Wraith—it seems clear that the Odin will be more expensive than the Wraith.

That's a poor excuse and justification. Price increase/difference from phantom to LX doesn't automatically justify Odin's speculated high price tag. And there are plenty of Estats on the market right now for far less price. Corresponding increase in difficulty construction and tuning? really? what are you basing this on? Does it justify 3.5K+ (your logic) price tag? These are market available ESTATS, and how much do you think they're paying for these at wholesale? What do you think will be the total production cost of the ODIN? I guarantee they're fraction of the cost they're charging the customers. Case in point, Campfire Audio is supposedly using bellsing BAs for their 1.5K IEMs. Is that price owing to your logic of construction difficulty? Plus, these boutique companies invest far less in R&D compared to big companies such as Sony and Sennheiser. So you can't really say that's where all the money is going. Companies are getting away with murder because they have willing customers easily justifying the high cost. It's a highly inflated market disproportionate to build quality and the production cost.

Not arguing with you. Just stating my opinion.

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #19,784 of 40,560
i prefer cranking my 10khz above about 5 to 7dB for that sparkle. It solve the sparkle problem but i want imaging. I feel like the airy it gets, the better vocals to my ears. So, should i go with zeus? And if im not mistaken the massdrop edition will be equally the same sound right?
The MD Zeus is probably a great deal according to folks here (not my preferred sound, so I couldn't say). Honestly, I'd just grab one—if it's not to your taste, you can probably resell it without taking much of a hit at all.

upload_2019-9-21_17-41-42.png

EVR in red and Zeus in green, btw

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #19,785 of 40,560
That's a poor excuse and justification. Price increase/difference from phantom to LX doesn't automatically justify Odin's speculated high price tag. And there are plenty of Estats on the market right now for far less price. Corresponding increase in difficulty construction and tuning? really? what are you basing this on? Does it justify 3.5K+ (your logic) price tag? These are market available ESTATS, and how much do you think they're paying for these at wholesale? What do you think will be the total production cost of the ODIN? I guarantee they're fraction of the cost they're charging the customers. Case in point, Campfire Audio is supposedly using bellsing BAs for their 1.5K IEMs. Is that price owing to your logic of construction difficulty? Plus, these boutique companies invest far less in R&D compared to big companies such as Sony and Sennheiser. So you can't really say that's where all the money is going. Companies are getting away with murder because they have willing customers easily justifying the high cost. It's a highly inflated market disproportionate to build quality and the production cost.

Not arguing with you. Just stating my opinion.
lmao bro i'm not sure why you think i'm saying "$4k for IEMs is good, actually"; I'm just saying that given the fact that these will be harder to make than extant models—and given the example of DD inclusion generating a higher cost—that they'll probably be more expensive.

also, uh, i guarantee that every cost of manufacturing of every IEM ever sold is a fraction of the MSRP... i actually think that this may generalize to other products. on a less sarcastic note—yeah, there's a ton of markup. it's a luxury company selling luxury products; it's to be expected if not justified. OTOH, if you wind up finding a comparable IEM with the rumored 2/5/4 DD/BA/EST setup, I have a feeling it's also gonna be pretty expensive. I'm not sure why you bring up CA; Ken is a racist jackass who happens to have been involved in the making of a few good sets—it's not surprising that they're using some random BAs in their poorly-constructed IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back