1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)

1. SETriode
    I think Anole are better vocal. I set mine with mid switch on (I like forward vocal). Soundstage about the same, but Zeus imaging very slightly better I think. Sometimes the piano just sneaks behind the vocal and surprise me..

2. twiceboss
    I pm u for more VX questions! :)

3. mr.karmalicious
    the VX could probably do what you want; the 8 configuration thing is pretty sick. (on that note, the new Art Magic from BGVP should be on your radar for a lot less money.) only thing to worry about is that it's all BA, but it doesn't seem like something that would bother you. little weird to only have a 3-way crossover for 10 BAs, too, but people really rave about it regardless... but it's even more expensive than the Legend X, last I checked!

4. twiceboss
    yes, im not really a basshead, yes i do like bass but i dont want them too much. A superb quality BAs bass of Anole should be more than enough i guess but i havent heard so that's just my opinion. For evr, the bass here is weak. It is tight and fast but has no weight at all. If it could be just a little more weight to excite the song, it would be great. But kinda frustrate with the highs and imaging from evr. It lacks them a lot.

5. olddude
    Zeus has incredible details, wonderful highs, great transparency, and is fairly even across all sound frequencies. Vocals are slightly forward and VERY clear. If you live by the bass, you probably won't like it. It's not the kind of IEM where you go, wow, what bass! It's the kind of IEM where you say, wow, I can hear everything.

Reading the rest of your posts: the soundstage is very wide, and with the Ares ll cable imaging is incredible. I don't like the supplied cable, as I find a hybrid cable makes the Zeus a bit harsh (at least with my DAP). Going up to the Ares ll 8-wire gives even more room in the soundstage. If bass having impact is what you want, I'm not sure you want the Zeus. It has tons of bass if the track has it, but it surely does not add any if the track does not have it. But it is not a bass slam IEM- it was designed to be more reference. That said, the Massdrop Zeus is a great price and dropping another $150 for a copper cable still makes it a great buy.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    twiceboss likes this.
  6. twiceboss
    So what's your take on EVR bass and Zeus bass?

7. olddude
    I don't have an EVR.

8. twiceboss
    Hmmm im in between VX or Zeus now. I do need something that has superb imaging and vocals also highs. Is the lows on Zeus really bad? How bad is bad though.

9. olddude
    It's not bad at all. It's just not a bass-centric IEM. It's a reference IEM. It's not an LX or even a Shure 846. That's not its purpose. If you want bass slam and lots of bass even when the track does not have it, then I guess it would be bad to you. If you listen to music where bass is the most important, or even the second-most important, thing, it's not for you. For me, it has plenty of the kind of bass I like (I listen to Motown and 60's and 70's rock, which do not rely on heaviness of bass or have much or any sub-bass). Many people here listen to music that has lots of bass and sub-bass, which is fine, and for them the Zeus is not the right IEM. I sold my Phantom to someone here and he just asked me about the Massdrop Zeus. I told him what I'm telling you and he pm'd me a day or two ago saying how much he likes it. Is it perfect? No. sometimes I wish it had more bass on tracks that are mixed light, and sometimes I wish it had less bass on tracks that are mixed heavy. But I have two of them, and everytime I listen to them, I smile because the clarity of detail and wideness of soundstage/imaging and utter transparency is so damn incredible.

choisan and rwelles like this.
  10. BananaOoyoo
    It's bass light - I don't think there's any way around that.

VX has more, but it's also double the price.

KuroKitsu and mr.karmalicious like this.
  11. twiceboss
    true. But for a hd800 user and i know u also a hd800 user. Which one is easy to ears? VX people said is more towards HD650. Or even i just need to go olskool ex1k for that vent to make the "open" feel?

12. BananaOoyoo
    I don't think I've ever thought about it in those terms.

EX1000 does give you more of the open feel, but it's also pretty much cheating in that regard. Great IEMs, but with significant trade-offs in terms of isolation and fit.

If you can audition the Zeus, I'd recommend doing that first before jumping to the VX. It's one thing to jump from $700 (EVR) to $1000 (MD Zeus), but IMO another thing entirely to jump straight to the $2000+ VX.

13. Sunstealer
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  14. proedros
    unless you are a basshead maniac , Zeus XR will be spot on

Zeus XR has great mids , no fear there

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  15. twiceboss
    how's the openness and soundstage of the zeus compare to evr?