Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 22, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #19,801 of 40,606
Hi guys, update on EVR:

everything sounds perfect on the first impression but after about 10 hours of listening. I know what is missing now. Imaging and highs. Will Zeus serve me better if i want the better imaging and better highs?

unless you are a basshead maniac , Zeus XR will be spot on

yeah but having more highs is going to come at the cost—by default—of a bit of the vocals, I imagine. hence the V in EVR...

Zeus XR has great mids , no fear there

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #19,802 of 40,606
unless you are a basshead maniac , Zeus XR will be spot on

Zeus XR has great mids , no fear there
how's the openness and soundstage of the zeus compare to evr?

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #19,803 of 40,606
Again, have not used EVR but Massdrop Zeus is very wide and very open. Transparent is the word I keep posting here. The only way you will know what is what is to try one or the other.

BTW the Zeus XR has two tunings, the original XlV and the R, with a switch to choose which you want. The XlV has more forward mids, the R is a bit flatter. I rarely use the R setting. The MassDrop Zeus is the XlV.

Sep 22, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #19,804 of 40,606
Again, have not used EVR but Massdrop Zeus is very wide and very open. Transparent is the word I keep posting here. The only way you will know what is what is to try one or the other.

BTW the Zeus XR has two tunings, the original XlV and the R, with a switch to choose which you want. The XlV has more forward mids, the R is a bit flatter. I rarely use the R setting. The MassDrop Zeus is the XlV.
Is the Zeus good for lots of musical genres?

Sep 22, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #19,806 of 40,606
i heard from a friend that zeus can get harsh with metal and some recordings
Thanks. I notice you have a lot of iems I'm interested in, cl2, Andromeda, Solaris and legend X. Which set do you like best?

Sep 22, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #19,808 of 40,606
Thanks. I notice you have a lot of iems I'm interested in, cl2, Andromeda, Solaris and legend X. Which set do you like best?
I like cl2 but needs eq for the performance. It has really low thd for eq. Evr was good but not enough

Edit: it's like isine needs cipher(DSP which is built in EQ), CL2 needs eq to push the potential of the driver. To my ears cl2 driver is ahead than isine.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #19,809 of 40,606
Is the Zeus good for lots of musical genres?

zeus is balanced so any genre works well , i listen to well recorded 70s-90s stuff from many genres (rock/pop/disco/funk/soul/ambient/electronica/prog house) and everything is fine

like i said , unless you are a basshead maniac zeus xr is jack of all trades

being happy with it for the last 2 years (pairing it it with sony wm1a) and no upgraditis thoughts

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #19,812 of 40,606
Zeus is relatively reference. Many genres do not play well with reference. As to what you heard from your friend, who knows? I wouldn't expect Zeus to be good with metal or EDM.

metal is a harsh genre by nature ,so i assume it was probably some hot/badly mastered albums

zeus is transparent ,garbage in = garbage out

metal is not the most gentle music for the ears , i have zero harsh/sibilance with my music but like i said it's all well produxed/mastered albums....

Sep 22, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #19,814 of 40,606
Zeus is relatively reference. Many genres do not play well with reference. As to what you heard from your friend, who knows? I wouldn't expect Zeus to be good with metal or EDM.
i didnt heard it myself , but check out Sabaton - Great War ( album ) he said its harsh with Zeus

Sep 22, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #19,815 of 40,606
lucky for me ,i am not into metal/rap/hiphop so Zeus is just great for my music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back