Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 17, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #19,666 of 40,675
The LX has more bass but the way the IER bass hits my ears just caused discomfort and fatigue. Like someone slapping my ears as apposed to the LX just rattling my skull with a more enjoyable and smoother tone.
I agree, z1r sub bass is so low that it hit my eardrum with inaudible sound pressure, that was literally causing temporary hearing loss:scream_cat:. That shocked me so much that I returned it promptly...

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #19,667 of 40,675
I agree, z1r sub bass is so low that it hit my eardrum with inaudible sound pressure, that was literally causing temporary hearing loss:scream_cat:. That shocked me so much that I returned it promptly...
I returned them the same day. I am trying the tia trio next and if that doesn't work out I'm just going to go back to the LX and deal with the bass bleed.

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #19,668 of 40,675
That's our best guess so far... it's strange, though. I wear them for 4-5 hours a day at work (in an office) and put them away in their case, which then goes in my bag. Other that that, I'll bring them to coffee shops or whatever, but that's really it... probably just down to random engineering stuff, I dunno.

It’s weird, because so many people here have never had a problem with EA cables. Locally, I’ve seen/heard too many horror stories about poor build quality, e.g. lasting no longer than a season or two, getting oxidized (Ares)/discolored (Thor Silver), unraveling (all 4-wires), stiffening, etc., in addition to equally problematic situations regarding customer service (including some of their high-end cables).

It could be that the posts/communities have some self-selection bias, or that there are environmental factors at play, or whatever. Who knows.

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #19,669 of 40,675
If Custom is an option. N8 is also a good bass head one.

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #19,670 of 40,675
If Custom is an option. N8 is also a good bass head one.

I wish it was actually possible to try the N8. I’ve tried the universal demo a while back and thought it was quite good... but apparently it’s nothing like the CIEM? 64 doesn’t offer ownership transfers anymore unfortunately, so you’re pretty much stuck with it if you get it - most third party reshellers aren’t going to want to touch something with a DD, Tia drivers, or APEX, let alone all three.

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #19,671 of 40,675
It’s weird, because so many people here have never had a problem with EA cables. Locally, I’ve seen/heard too many horror stories about poor build quality, e.g. lasting no longer than a season or two, getting oxidized (Ares)/discolored (Thor Silver), unraveling (all 4-wires), stiffening, etc., in addition to equally problematic situations regarding customer service (including some of their high-end cables).

It could be that the posts/communities have some self-selection bias, or that there are environmental factors at play, or whatever. Who knows.
Agree, a saw a lot of comments around, not only EA, but anyone that uses PVC. But all of them spreaded around and apparently still happy customers (or good budget to not bother?)

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #19,672 of 40,675
I returned them the same day. I am trying the tia trio next and if that doesn't work out I'm just going to go back to the LX and deal with the bass bleed.
I EQ 64-3db, 125-2db to tame unruly mid-bass on some recordings.:smile_phones:

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #19,673 of 40,675
Agree, a saw a lot of comments around, not only EA, but anyone that uses PVC. But all of them spreaded around and apparently still happy customers (or good budget to not bother?)

Could be, yeah. EA is still popular enough locally - definitely helps that their more affordable models are often recommended for anyone looking to get custom cables and that they’re carried by the biggest local distributor - but it feels like people who have tried at least a few different manufacturers end up moving away from them.

Personally? I haven’t really had problems using their cables in stores, but I’ve definitely noticed the unraveling issue. If I were to get one of their cables in the future, I’d get an 8-wire to avoid this entirely.

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #19,674 of 40,675
Why is it so hard to find EVR user? I just want to know something from the user itself. Im still waiting for the demo unit :/

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #19,675 of 40,675
Hi,
I just bought a second hand custom LX and would need it to reshell it. I was wondering if EE can change it to a universal shell? if not, which 3rd party supplier would you recommend to reshell the LX, preferably to an universal shell. Would the new shell impact sound of the LX?
Thanks

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #19,676 of 40,675
Hi,
I just bought a second hand custom LX and would need it to reshell it. I was wondering if EE can change it to a universal shell? if not, which 3rd party supplier would you recommend to reshell the LX, preferably to an universal shell. Would the new shell impact sound of the LX?
Thanks

1. No.
2. Not many reshellers will work with DDs.
3. Most likely. It can be pretty hit or miss.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #19,677 of 40,675
1. No.
2. Not many reshellers will work with DDs.
3. Most likely. It can be pretty hit or miss.
That means that it was a very bad idea to buy a CIEM LX :disappointed:. I was really hoping that I will find a solution after I buy them. My last hope is that the custom shell will be OK for my ears :fingers_crossed:

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #19,679 of 40,675
Hi,
Thanks

You can try contacting Naga Audio or Aure Custom In-Ears. The former can even reshell 64 Audio’s Tia IEMs and the latter have experience with DDs. You could also try contacting itsfit Lab. They have a long history of reshelling and their craftsmanship is impeccable.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #19,680 of 40,675
That means that it was a very bad idea to buy a CIEM LX :disappointed:. I was really hoping that I will find a solution after I buy them. My last hope is that the custom shell will be OK for my ears :fingers_crossed:

Yeah, personally not a big proponent of buying CIEMs that aren’t reshellable by the original manufacturer. Brands like Hidition make fantastic customs, and they’ll reshell third-party products (taking care to best approximate the original sound), but even they’ll warn you about negative sound changes.

Even with reputable third-party reshellers, I’d be more comfortable giving them an all-BA setup to work with - rather than something with not one, but two unique DDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back