Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 18, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #19,681 of 40,595
I returned them the same day. I am trying the tia trio next and if that doesn't work out I'm just going to go back to the LX and deal with the bass bleed.

Please do let us know about the tia trio.
I just got in my LX last night and though it is good for certain kinds of music, for a fair bit of my favorites (like Max Richter) the bass is too much and I really miss the timbre in the mids of the Phantoms.

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #19,682 of 40,595
3D-printing would be easier in some aspects - like repeat orders, being able to send impressions digitally, being able to undo any mistakes while trimming, guaranteed 100% translation between the trimmed impression and the final shell, etc. - but it also makes post-processing much, much more difficult. Jack told me one of the main reasons why they haven't been able to transition fully to 3D-printing is because it takes so long to buff out all of the print lines and imperfections. Plus, you'd be limited to a rather small range of colours. So, as always, everything has its pros and cons.

Like everyone here, I've never seen that happen to an Ares II cable. I have couple-year-old EA cables used in a multitude of environment that still look pretty good.

Yeah, PVC-based insulation stiffening up is pretty inevitable, but it does take quite a while if you take care of it, and by that I mean don't douse it in water and sweat on a daily basis. But, at the same time, almost all cable manufacturers use PVC-based insulation. One of the main reasons why is that even when it does stiffen up, it's still comparable ergonomically to alternative materials at their best.
i have seen a video,i forget who it was, maybe Ultimate ears? doing not only digital molds but also digital ear scans,instead of putting silicone in ear,they put this headset on you,its open at ears and they point a light in your ear which scans it to a computer

i wonder how good or better this method may be? And if audiologists may have this soon?

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #19,683 of 40,595
i have seen a video,i forget who it was, maybe Ultimate ears? doing not only digital molds but also digital ear scans,instead of putting silicone in ear,they put this headset on you,its open at ears and they point a light in your ear which scans it to a computer

i wonder how good or better this method may be? And if audiologists may have this soon?

Yeah, Ultimate Ears do that. It requires special training and gear to do, so I don't expect it to be adopted widely for quite a while. In my opinion, the best method for ear impressions at the moment is to make a good silicone one at a reliable audiologist, then have it 3D-scanned into an STL file. I had Custom Art scan my impressions, and now I have the digital files sitting in my Google Drive ready to be sent to any manufacturer who accept them. Dealers like My IEM Store and Music Sanctuary can even do it in-store now, so I think that's gonna be the go-to method for the near-future.

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #19,684 of 40,595
Yeah, Ultimate Ears do that. It requires special training and gear to do, so I don't expect it to be adopted widely for quite a while. In my opinion, the best method for ear impressions at the moment is to make a good silicone one at a reliable audiologist, then have it 3D-scanned into an STL file. I had Custom Art scan my impressions, and now I have the digital files sitting in my Google Drive ready to be sent to any manufacturer who accept them. Dealers like My IEM Store and Music Sanctuary can even do it in-store now, so I think that's gonna be the go-to method for the near-future.
Still waiting word on when/if EE will adopt the 3-d method :)

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #19,687 of 40,595
Cheers mate

Do ya feel,tho not widely used yet,that it may be more accurate than the silicone method?

It also appears it would vary with the skill of the person doing scan,even more so than with silicone?

PS thats a great idea you did making a digital scan,i wish i would have thought of that b4 sending mine in

Cheers

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #19,688 of 40,595
Please do let us know about the tia trio.
I just got in my LX last night and though it is good for certain kinds of music, for a fair bit of my favorites (like Max Richter) the bass is too much and I really miss the timbre in the mids of the Phantoms.

give it a few days :eyes:

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #19,689 of 40,595
Cheers mate

Do ya feel,tho not widely used yet,that it may be more accurate than the silicone method?

It also appears it would vary with the skill of the person doing scan,even more so than with silicone?

PS thats a great idea you did making a digital scan,i wish i would have thought of that b4 sending mine in

Cheers

I personally have no idea which method is more accurate. But, as I mentioned previously on another thread, how a manufacturer trims and treats the impressions is just as important as the impressions themselves. So, whether it be digital or physical, the company's specific trimming policy (and how well their technicians execute that policy from one client to the next) is always the key factor. Plus, if perfect-fitting monitors can be achieved from silicone moulds, even if directly-3D-scanned impressions are more accurate, do we really need that extra accuracy? Playing devil's advocate, what use is that extra micron that the scanners can pick out if it's gonna be buffed out and smoothened in the digital domain anyway?

Personally, I think too much focus has been placed on the accuracy side of the digital vs. physical impressions debate, because the advantages of digital to me are more so in ease, efficiency and repeatability. From what I've heard, between your ear canal shape to the actual shell, the difference between a good digital impression and a good silicone impression becomes diluted to practically negligible. There are a lot more factors at play than just the format the impressions were taken in.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #19,690 of 40,595
give it a few days :eyes:

Yeah, I will listen less critically tonight, more for pleasure and see if I adjust. Im having trouble figuring out the volume on these. I find myself turning it up to get the mids but then get fatigued by the intensity of the bass and treble. I remember I wasn't initially taken with the Phantoms but grew to love them but wanted the DD bass. The LX is an intense experience.

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #19,691 of 40,595
Sep 18, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #19,693 of 40,595
Sep 18, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #19,694 of 40,595
Cheers mate

Cheers

64 Audio uses 3D printing from a scan they do from impressions. I do think the A12t fits slightly better than my Legend X, so I would say that scanning may be slightly more accurate, but not many times more accurate as both 64 Audio and Empire Ears got my CIEMS fitting great initially with no adjustments needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back