Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #19,711 of 40,559
Just purchased a Legend X from the classifieds, it will arrive next week :)

In the mean time, I'm wondering if anyone has any good budget cable recommendations to increase treble sparkle? Ideally while retaining the natural mids and not losing too much bass, though a little tightening of the bass won't hurt. The EA stuff is just too much for me to spend on a cable, so looking for some cheaper options.
Try a silver cable; they're brighter. :wink:

Edit: seriously, though, if the suggested cable ($300, "budget") does actually have gold added to the silver, that lowers the conductivity.

on another note, i'm thinking of getting this... pretty stuff.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #19,712 of 40,559
My Empire Ears/Effect Audio/Astell&Kern fanboy transformation is complete.

EE Legend X + EA Ares II 8 wire
EE Phantom + EA Eros II 8 wire
EE Valkyrie + EA Eros II 4 wire
A&K KANN CUBE for home and SR15 for travel.

I am content. For now :ksc75smile:

That's awesome. How do the Valkyrie compare to legend X?

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #19,713 of 40,559

What case is that?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #19,714 of 40,559
We actually have a team member that used to do the scans for an Ultimate Ears dealer and he much prefers the silicone impression for accuracy and ease. Apparently, the UE technology can be a bit more temperamental and is more likely to have errors in the scans compared to physical. But we are working hard in R&D to offer 3D printing to make Empire more accessible to everyone.

Love these pics! Would you mind if we reposted on our socials? If so, PM me if you want a tag/credit more specific than your Head-fi username :)

Thank you:ksc75smile: That would be cool,. my Head-fi username is good.

Thank u

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #19,715 of 40,559
Try a silver cable; they're brighter. :wink:

Edit: seriously, though, if the suggested cable ($300, "budget") does actually have gold added to the silver, that lowers the conductivity.

on another note, i'm thinking of getting this... pretty stuff.

The conductivity debate is also alive and well in the cable industry. Double Helix Cables and Norne believe maximum conductivity equals maximum performance, and that gold as an additive only serves to jack up prices. On the other hand, Effect Audio and some others believe manipulating conductivity is a part of shaping the sound, and that performance is attributed to other factors like geometry and strand-sizing. Which to believe is ultimately up to you, but regardless of which (if either) is true, I stand by my recommendation by hearing and hearing alone. :wink:

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #19,716 of 40,559
How would you describe what it does to the sound signature?

I've only had about 4 hours on the Legend X and did some very preliminary comparisons but the PlusSound seems smoother giving female vocals a sweeter tone. The Eros sounds to me like there is a little more "air" around the instruments so better imaging but at the expense of a little more etched tone. Timbre seems thicker with the PlusSound. I'm coming from the Phantom so I'm a little biased towards the PlusSound. I'm thinking of b replacing the Eros 8 wire with an Ares 8 wire if I keep the LX. I'm still adjusting and its a bit of a shock even from the Bravado.

Perfect!!!

I really liked the Eros II 8wire on the Phantoms but not so much on the LX. Did you compare it to the Ares II 8 wire with the LX? I sold my Ares II 8 wire and regret it now that I have the LX as I suspect it would be ba better match.

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #19,717 of 40,559
I've only had about 4 hours on the Legend X and did some very preliminary comparisons but the PlusSound seems smoother giving female vocals a sweeter tone. The Eros sounds to me like there is a little more "air" around the instruments so better imaging but at the expense of a little more etched tone. Timbre seems thicker with the PlusSound. I'm coming from the Phantom so I'm a little biased towards the PlusSound. I'm thinking of b replacing the Eros 8 wire with an Ares 8 wire if I keep the LX. I'm still adjusting and its a bit of a shock even from the Bravado.

Perfect!!!

I really liked the Eros II 8wire on the Phantoms but not so much on the LX. Did you compare it to the Ares II 8 wire with the LX? I sold my Ares II 8 wire and regret it now that I have the LX as I suspect it would be ba better match.
Try Thor Silver 2 with LX :)

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #19,718 of 40,559
I've never been much of an EQ guy but I did play a bit with it last night but mostly big adjustments as more a fact finding endeavour.
I'll probably try again tonight but the EQ on the M11 doesn't seem that good.
I'll likely be changing DAPs soon though so maybe there will be some positives from that.
sorry to disappoint you but fiio daps are really mediocore. Their EQ really sucks tbh.

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #19,719 of 40,559
sorry to disappoint you but fiio daps are really mediocore. Their EQ really sucks tbh.
Download neutron and you can get the M11 sounding ace

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #19,720 of 40,559
Sep 19, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #19,722 of 40,559
Download neutron and you can get the M11 sounding ace
I prefer UAPP instead of Neutron. But fiio doesnt have google play, you will stuck with certain apps that wont need to run through google play. So, no UAPP on that. Returned that right away after i found out i cant use my UAPP with PEQ.

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #19,723 of 40,559
To my ears Fiio DAPs sound muddy and lack of details. I have never ever used EQ in DAPs.
Agree, I had M11 and M9, both disappoints me and they have lost my trust.

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #19,724 of 40,559
Sep 19, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #19,725 of 40,559
What do you use now?
Dongle ftw
The Apple dongle USB C is being proofed on audioscience and ive tried it by myself and really impressed. The sound from it is more clean. And in the mean time, samsung releases a new USB C dongle and that dongle sounds fuller, more musical than Apple Dongle. I keep them both for two different signature. All under $30 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back