Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 25, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #15,031 of 40,675
nevemind these baby’s are goddam amazing but i thought they were my endgame. nope. not at all. that sucks, but the journey is also the best part

i can see why people sell their universals as customs should be a lot better.

the only thing is i found the atlas’s bass to be punchier while yes the legend x has plenty but quality>quantity

THIS IS NOT MY FULL RECIEW THIS IS 15 MINUTES OF LISTENING STAY TUNED

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #15,032 of 40,675
What are you kidding me, I been wearing red on left and blue on right

56EA867D-B82D-44F5-B751-9F28C2903081.gif

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #15,033 of 40,675
holy crap leggo. sound is starting to sound better and better. these were used and only around 50 hours played

anyone else’s own universals? need more of the UNI fam

what do you think?

also silver cable like thor or stock cable for x’s

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #15,034 of 40,675
Howdy, back again with some more cable impressions. I tried all of the bespoke Effect Audio 8-wire cables yesterday with the Phantom and wrote down some thoughts.

Starting with the Ares II 8-wire, which has received a lot of attention recently. The Ares II maintains a similar tone, but expands the stage a bit further. In addition, its vocals seemed to improve in power, sounding more convincing. The performance and resolution and transparency might have remained on a roughly similar level. Overall, I think the pairing was good, but it was not what I seeked in terms of improvement. The problem is that both my SP1000 Cu and Phantom have a rather relaxed upper treble and lifted mid-bass, so the Phantom tends to mostly benefit from brighter cables that lift the upper treble when paired with the AK. I think I would have enjoyed the full reach of its scalability with my modded WM1Z for instance.

The Eros II 8-wire was a very pleasing combination, that improved its signature to a more neutral/natural sound. I listened to it after Thor II, so there was a slight drop in transparency compared to a pure silver. However, I preferred the tonality of this pairing. For lack of a better word, there's more of a natural 'copper' tone mixed in, without the warmth dominating the sound, while it similarly improves the clarity, without artificially brightening the tone. Silvers as Thor and Leo have a type of 'uncolored' sound which can equally be interesting, but simultaneously don't seem to exactly fit my preconception of natural. The improvement in performance might not be super large, but neither is the shift in signature - in a good way. The airiness of the stage improved, along with its separation, while the imaging became a bit more precise. There was an increase in clarity, while maintaining the timbre. Overall this was of of my favourite combos, even though it wasn't the most technical. But the balance between tone and performance was very good.

The Lionheart 8-wire has a slightly prominent mid-bass, with a slower decay. Most noticeably, this adds a thickness to the note, and a slight veil over the vocals. Even so, its tone is relatively neutral, even though the treble is not enhanced. It's smooth, though not particularly warm. However, while it wasn't bright per se, there was a dryness in its tone; I preferred the tone of Eros II for instance. In addition, its performance was better than the Ares II 8-wire, but not at the level of the silver alloy cables. This was perhaps mostly because the separation tended to suffer from the mid-bass presentation. Altogether, I was not particularly impressed by the pairing with the Phantom, maybe my least favourite.

The Thor II 8-Wire has a silver tone that is similar to Leonidas; a clear sound with a smooth, refined treble. It offers great balance throughout the spectrum, while offering a significant improvement in resolution. The Phantom shakes off a bit of its warmth, but retains a relaxed, natural feel. By comparison, it is a bit smoother than the 2.98 and its stage perhaps more spacious. It is also a bit warmer, with the 2.98's brighter upper mids in turn offering a bit more sparkle. As the bass has sufficient power but is not dominating in the sound, the stage is slightly cleaner than Leonidas 4-wire, which offers an impressive impact, but can affect the separation. Altogether, the Thor II provides a cleaner and more resolved sound, while remaining particularly smooth.

The Leonidas 8-wire in turn has a similar tone as Thor, as both are slightly warm silvers, that offer high resolution and increased detail, presented in a relatively smooth manner. There is a slight increase in performance between the two, such as a greater sense of depth, and accordingly, more holographic feel of Leonidas. In addition, Leonidas' bass seemed a bit more impactful. I would need more time than I had to delve into their differences.

I would have liked to A) compare them with the 4-wires, and B) test them with the Legend-X, but my time was fairly limited as is. I will say, that I preferred the type of sound of Thor II and Leonidas with the Legend-X, and the Phantom with the Eros II and Ares II due to the more natural tone. This is partially due to the different types of music I listen to with the two iems: more synthetic-based genres like EDM, pop, and hip hop with the Legend, and easy-listening band-based music with the Phantom. However, Thor and Leo were also very impressive with Phantom in terms of performance, as well as creating a more neutral yet effortless and smooth sound. In the end it comes down to what type of tonality you like for it, besides how much you value performance of course.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #15,035 of 40,675
Jul 25, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #15,036 of 40,675
holy **** leggo. sound is starting to sound better and better. these were used and only around 50 hours played

anyone else’s own universals? need more of the UNI fam

what do you think?

also silver cable like thor or stock cable for x’s

Haha carefull brain is playing tricks

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #15,037 of 40,675
2700mA is ampere not volts. AMP8 can pump 1,2W into 32ohms though, which is more than most if any portable setup.

I am not technically proficient enough to explain this, the basics of it is low impedance multi BA setup need current and 2700mA is more alike to desktop setup than mobile one which gives you plenty of headroom to work with. On the other end of the spectrum, high impedance full sized headphones needs more power to provide the necessary volume but they need less current. The metaphor usually used is : lower impedance is like wider conduit for fluid, you need to provide more water (current) while lower impedance means narrower conduit which means you need to get water to flow (power). Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Well my dac amp can do 2.5 wat at 30 ohm wich means it will drive phantom even better. Plus the synergy and higher grade mosfet components and the reste of the goodies. Will be a sq effect on my desktop dac amp then. Hence its 3.5k worth overall

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #15,038 of 40,675
Aa thats great to know now i will add ibasso to my radar zone many thanks.

Have you auditioned dx150? Which you prefer dx200 or dx150?

Sorry I don’t own dx150, but from Ibasso thread they say Dx200 is better.

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #15,039 of 40,675
I just cheked my dac amp specs and its a 40 ohm impedance. How much is phantom impedance?

What will hapend if i plug my phantom in to a higer impedance dac amp?

Jul 25, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #15,041 of 40,675
I just cheked my dac amp specs and its a 40 ohm impedance. How much is phantom impedance?

What will hapend if i plug my phantom in to a higer impedance dac amp?
With that output impedance?
200w.gif

What dac/amp do you have? As a general rule of thumb 1:8 impedance ratio, output to internal. The really short of it is bass gets attenuated in low impedance multi-BA iems. iEMatch from iFi is your solution...but let's be honest, the HF Gawds would rather see you purchase a new dac/amp : )

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #15,042 of 40,675
Hey Guys,

Is anyone selling a Ted Allen Silver T2 Cable 2 Pin 3.5 mm jack?

please pm me

can trade my legend x wire and etc or my b&o h9i

Jul 25, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #15,043 of 40,675
HDV_820_Output_Power_.jpg
HDV_820_Power_Curve.jpg
With that output impedance?
200w.gif

What dac/amp do you have? As a general rule of thumb 1:8 impedance ratio, output to internal. The really short of it is bass gets attenuated in low impedance multi-BA iems. iEMatch from iFi is your solution...but let's be honest, the HF Gawds would rather see you purchase a new dac/amp : )

I just found this info about my dac amp. Its a desktop sennheiser hdv 820. I run my shure se846 on it in unbalanced output and man they never sign so beautifully before. And i had a idsd micro black its far behind my hdv820. I also have no floore noise eather its black. Only hear noise is when set volume above 75% and believe me i never go over 10oklock

So according this chart my hdv820 is way more then capable to run pretty much anything in this world right?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #15,045 of 40,675
Aaa found more info here this proves dx200 is inferior to my hdv 820. At 32 ohm it provides 2.76 watt and dx200 only 2 x 1.1 watt.

https://blog.son-video.com/en/2017/03/review-ibasso-dx200/

iBasso DX200: headphone output power
The back of the chassis may be removed in order to allow the user to replace the amplification card (AMP1 model) with another model (it has not yet been announced when this model will be made commercially available). The AMP1 card features a balanced output in 2.5 mm mini-jack format, with a maximum output power of 6 Vrms. In theory, this is the equivalent of 2 x 1.1 Watts of power for a pair of headphones with an impedance of 32 Ohms, or 2 x 123 mW into 300 Ohms. Meanwhile, the unbalanced 3.5 mm mini-jack output can provide 3 Vrms, or 2 x 280 mW into 32 Ohms and 30 mW into 300 Ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back