Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 25, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #15,018 of 40,559
astell and kern sp1000 best amp out there

or best budget friendly

imicro dsd bl

Great suggestion. This is why I am about to finally list my AK380cu and matching cu amp to get the 1000. If anyone has legit interest, let me know. It's a killer combo with my Phantom's and it takes the Bravado to a very very high level as the bass is there in spades.

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #15,019 of 40,559

or best budget friendly

imicro dsd bl

I got this dac amp hsv 820 with upgraded
power cable and high end usb cable + ipurifier 2.

How would the kern 1000 compare to that?

And does it play spotify or tidal?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #15,020 of 40,559
or best budget friendly
imicro dsd bl

I think AMP8 for the DX200 might be a good challenger in terms of one of the best AMPs out there(6,2V RMS with +/- 8V voltage swing and a whopping 2700mA of current which is the key spec for a low impedance IEM like the Phantom), I’ll get a chance to have a comparative listen with SP1000 in two weeks :) I have been yearning to try out SP1000 with Phantom...

Even before comparing, I can vouch for AMP8 being a great pairing for the Phantom

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #15,021 of 40,559
@notorious4163 well, maybe I lowered your expectations and you will be pleasantly surprised and be even happier when I'm wrong? :wink:

hey unfortunately, my legend x says it’s been delivered (10:30am) it’s 2 pm now and usps says it’s been delivered to the front desk (i live in a big condo in nyc) so there might be a chance my package is missing.

inb4 senpuku if usps lost my legend x’s i swear to God, ill go full Oldboy on USPS

Edit: i understand when they say delivered it might not actually mean it and it’s just in the trucks or en route BUT USPS DONT TELL ME ITS HERE AND MAKE ME MANIC

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #15,023 of 40,559
I think AMP8 for the DX200 might be a good challenger in terms of one of the best AMPs out there(6,2V RMS with +/- 8V voltage swing and a whopping 2700mA of current which is the key spec for a low impedance IEM like the Phantom), I’ll get a chance to have a comparative listen with SP1000 in two weeks :) I have been yearning to try out SP1000 with Phantom...

Even before comparing, I can vouch for AMP8 being a great pairing for the Phantom

Can you help me understand this mw power thing i dont know much about. And man 2700mw at what ohm range? That sounds outragiously high!

My hdv 820 can do 956m956mw at 300ohm but not 2700my goodness

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #15,024 of 40,559
Can you help me understand this mw power thing i dont know much about. And man 2700mw at what ohm range? That sounds outragiously high!

My hdv 820 can do 956m956mw at 300ohm but not 2700my goodness

2700mA is ampere not volts. AMP8 can pump 1,2W into 32ohms though, which is more than most if any portable setup.

I am not technically proficient enough to explain this, the basics of it is low impedance multi BA setup need current and 2700mA is more alike to desktop setup than mobile one which gives you plenty of headroom to work with. On the other end of the spectrum, high impedance full sized headphones needs more power to provide the necessary volume but they need less current. The metaphor usually used is : lower impedance is like wider conduit for fluid, you need to provide more water (current) while lower impedance means narrower conduit which means you need to get water to flow (power). Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #15,025 of 40,559
hey unfortunately, my legend x says it’s been delivered (10:30am) it’s 2 pm now and usps says it’s been delivered to the front desk (i live in a big condo in nyc) so there might be a chance my package is missing.

inb4 senpuku if usps lost my legend x’s i swear to God, ill go full Oldboy on USPS

Edit: i understand when they say delivered it might not actually mean it and it’s just in the trucks or en route BUT USPS DONT TELL ME ITS HERE AND MAKE ME MANIC

this front desk has someone there right ? and they need a signature or something forthem to leave a 2K package...

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #15,026 of 40,559
For real? That's terrible, sorry to hear that bro. Maybe someone at front desk has it. It should be signature required ,so hopefully that helps track it.

GUYS I GOT IT!!! So after listening to for 30 min, first impressions...

barely stronger bass than the atlas, i could even say the atlas is more fun to listen than the legend x but i truly appreciate the improved clarity and resolution

you were right not going to lie slightly disappointed. can anyone recommend a good cable for legend x or is stock the best option?

Edit: fit is great not amazing though, i can see why people want customs. QUESTION is blue left side and red right? doesn’t say anything about L and R on just the Moniters

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #15,027 of 40,559

barely stronger bass than the atlas, i could even say the atlas is more fun to listen than the legend x but i truly appreciate the improved clarity and resolution

you were right not going to lie slightly disappointed. can anyone recommend a good cable for legend x or is stock the best option?

Edit: fit is great not amazing though, i can see why people want customs. QUESTION is blue left side and red right? doesn’t say anything about L and R on just the Moniters

Edit: how do you put the cable in? does it matter which way u stick the 2 pins in

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #15,028 of 40,559

Red is right, blue is left. You have to wear them with cable over the ear. They don’t work cable down like you can do with the atlas.

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #15,029 of 40,559
Edit: how do you put the cable in? does it matter which way u stick the 2 pins in
The effect audio logo should be facing out (away from sound tube). The L and R on the inside of the 2pin cable connector should face in.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back