Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 6, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #12,436 of 40,582
@EagleWings Good call, I never considered that. I listen plenty loud but I'm thinking I might find myself exceeding a healthy limit on the Hugo 2 if it only takes half a dozen clicks or so. I can get a Hugo 2 from a friend for $2500CAD/$1950USD so I'm good that way. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the response

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #12,437 of 40,582
EE having these new series opening in Thailand last few weeks and they having Horus cable to try with all new IEMs as well.

At first, my ears tend to love bright sound as my previous Kaiser Encore and my current Tia Fourte one. I just need to add one IEM with different style from my Tia Fourte and found that Legend X is the right one.

Anyway, I still prefer to add some more clarity because of bright addicted :frowning2: . That's why I decide to take Horus with Legend X rather than stock Ares II.:L3000::smile_phones::darthsmile:

noted. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the legend X tuning. Strangely enough the shop proprietor also said that the excessive bass could be fixed with the horus, which it did. With a brighter cable the legend X stopped sounding like a disco club bass speaker. Like you, I felt that the excessive bass was compromising the clarity and resolution of the legend X. Still, the though of needing to spend close to 2k for a cable, just to fix a TOTL 3k iem tuned with excessive bass and add a little balance to the overall signature by tweaking it towards being a little brighter sounded like ridiculous. Ironic, considering that the Legend R, its predecessor, was probably one of the most resolving and transparent IEM of its time.

however, I still didnt find the horus adding clarity to it tho. Yes, the brightness did make it seem more resolving, but the bass regions still felt very uncontrolled. I can't really describe it well, but it felt like the bass was spilling all over and overwhelming everything else, just abit less withe the horus. I'd honestly hate to think of how it sounds like on the stock ares lol, considering that I immediately accepted the shop's suggestion to use my horus directly when he saw that I had one lying in my case unused.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #12,438 of 40,582
noted. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the legend X tuning. Strangely enough the shop proprietor also said that the excessive bass could be fixed with the horus, which it did. With a brighter cable the legend X stopped sounding like a disco club bass speaker. Like you, I felt that the excessive bass was compromising the clarity and resolution of the legend X. Still, the though of needing to spend close to 2k for a cable, just to fix a TOTL 3k iem tuned with excessive bass and add a little balance to the overall signature by tweaking it towards being a little brighter sounded like ridiculous. Ironic, considering that the Legend R, its predecessor, was probably one of the most resolving and transparent IEM of its time.

however, I still didnt find the horus adding clarity to it tho. Yes, the brightness did make it seem more resolving, but the bass regions still felt very uncontrolled. I can't really describe it well, but it felt like the bass was spilling all over and overwhelming everything else, just abit less withe the horus. I'd honestly hate to think of how it sounds like on the stock ares lol, considering that I immediately accepted the shop's suggestion to use my horus directly when he saw that I had one lying in my case unused.
Why would you get an IEM that is known first and foremost to be bass heavy and then try to tame that bass? That sounds far more ridiculous than the notion of someone suggesting you buy an expensive cable to fix a problem you would know you'd have within 2 minutes of reading about that IEM.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #12,439 of 40,582

that's only if you want to stick with Effect Audio, as the local dealer suggested and Nic mentioned elsewhere, Dita Truth really helps with attenuating bass. the local dealer also suggested Orb Clearforce Ultimate iem cable, both are priced at around Thor II. I tried the Bravado with the stock and then the Dita SPC and it really helped with the bass without affecting the mids or treble. ymmv

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #12,441 of 40,582
Why would you get an IEM that is known first and foremost to be bass heavy and then try to tame that bass? That sounds far more ridiculous than the notion of someone suggesting you buy an expensive cable to fix a problem you would know you'd have within 2 minutes of reading about that IEM.

I didnt say that the issue was that it was bass heavy, rather that the excessive emphasis on it neglected the other sound range, which is a no no in any logical design. Its like throwing a downhill bike fork onto a bike but forgetting that the other components needs to be tuned in taking that into consideration such that the whole sound signature is cohesive. I lack an analogy to describe it as well, but as a random listener who also happened to be listening to the Legend at the same time put it, on the legend X all he heard was the bass, and it never seemed to ever stop. There are dark and bass orientated iems like the SE5 or the UE18, but they dont sound like that. its the overall balance of the tonality I'm making reference to, rather than the absolute quantity.

that's only if you want to stick with Effect Audio, as the local dealer suggested and Nic mentioned elsewhere, Dita Truth really helps with attenuating bass. the local dealer also suggested Orb Clearforce Ultimate iem cable, both are priced at around Thor II. I tried the Bravado with the stock and then the Dita SPC and it really helped with the bass without affecting the mids or treble. ymmv

Well,DITA doesnt make the cables, rather they get the cables from VDH which is a very respectable cable company, so using DITA which mainly makes IEMS isnt a really fair comparison.
What I do find surprising however, is an apparent trend where shops seem to be suggesting that customers swap out the stock cable lol.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #12,442 of 40,582

Your description reminds me a bit of my own experience back when i had the Earwerkz Legend R Omega.

What I’m looking for now is basically the exact same timbre of the super tiny uiem AAW Q in a ciem shape.

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #12,443 of 40,582

Changing ear tips also help with much cheaper price. For example, using Spinfit will reduce bass a bit and treble go further compare to stock Final Audio tips.

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #12,444 of 40,582
I agree, and now on hindsight I wish I had stuck with the Legend R instead of sidegrading to the Omega lol.

Really? Aren't we exaggerating a bit here?

Really lol. I thought most of audio is all about exaggerations, especially the reviews and its superfluous writing making it sound like the second coming of christ without a single drawback. I thought that single sided metaphors for dramatic effects was the trend of descriptions here.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #12,445 of 40,582
I agree, and now on hindsight I wish I had stuck with the Legend R instead of sidegrading to the Omega lol.

Really lol. I thought most of audio is all about exaggerations, especially the reviews and its superfluous writing making it sound like the second coming of christ without a single drawback. I thought that single sided metaphors for dramatic effects was the trend of descriptions here.

I cannot but agree with you wholeheartedly on this @Rei87 ...

The over positive impressions here on this particular thread is a huge contrast to the Singapore Canjam Impressions thread where EE 's latest line-up was barely mentioned. Even the Pola electret IEM garnered more interest ...

I do not know if you have heard but this latest line up of Empire Ears wasn't really well received amongst the Singaporean community. Probably it's because that we are spoilt with a good handful of stores where we can TRY extensively rather than blind purchasing based on over positive reviews/posts/impressions or hype.

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #12,446 of 40,582
Sun is shining bright @ this morning... sitting in my garden, having my Legend X on, listening to the glorious album from Rain Dog (Two Words)..... this is heaven. Bass heaven. :)
After 2 days excessive listening i really must say the LX sounds even better than out of the box (brain burn in incl.)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #12,447 of 40,582
Well,DITA doesnt make the cables, rather they get the cables from VDH which is a very respectable cable company, so using DITA which mainly makes IEMS isnt a really fair comparison.
What I do find surprising however, is an apparent trend where shops seem to be suggesting that customers swap out the stock cable lol.

ROFL, thanks for the mansplaining, well aware that it is sourced from VdH, it's is sold by Dita and branded as Dita Truth Awesomesauce cable, not sure how it is "unfair" as it is a cable v cable comparison. Just offering a more affordable option for those who wants more control with the dual DD bass without breaking the bank.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #12,448 of 40,582
The over positive impressions here on this particular thread is a huge contrast to the Singapore Canjam Impressions thread where EE 's latest line-up was barely mentioned. Even the Pola electret IEM garnered more interest ...
I do not know if you have heard but this latest line up of Empire Ears wasn't really well received amongst the Singaporean community.
Well, I think that most of Kubrick’s movies also weren’t that well received / visited in cinema’s at launch. But that didn’t make them such bad movies afterall, did it?
I don’t know / understand why they weren’t that well received in Singapore CJ, but that doesn’t make them sound any worse or better than they do in reality, does it?

Probably it's because that we are spoilt with a good handful of stores where we can TRY extensively rather than blind purchasing based on over positive reviews/posts/impressions or hype.
Yeah, it’s always best (when you have the chance) to try before you buy, I totally agree on that :thumbsup:

I haven’t heard the Legend X (yet), or most of the other new EE line up models myself, but I did hear the Phantom prototype (twice) before I ordered. Luckily I’ve also had the chance to audition/compare quite some other highly regarded totl models (which can be found under my profile) and when I write that the Phantom is my favourite one (based on my own preferences of course) at this moment so far, then I don’t think there’s anything exaggerated about that. Just a matter of my personal taste and opinion. Let’s just say that I liked what I heard and ordered with confidence because of that :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #12,449 of 40,582
I cannot but agree with you wholeheartedly on this @Rei87 ...

I do not know if you have heard but this latest line up of Empire Ears wasn't really well received amongst the Singaporean community. Probably it's because that we are spoilt with a good handful of stores where we can TRY extensively rather than blind purchasing based on over positive reviews/posts/impressions or hype.
Imo, it is more of the issue of preference for brighter signatures with less of a bass emphasis. I personally find the bravado to be borderline overly bass heavy... Then again, it could also be because aaw makes great budget hybrid ciems (not really on the same level).

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #12,450 of 40,582
Pardon if I ruffled any new or current owners of EE products . I'm sorry but not sorry if you guys are butt hurt that the majority of the Singaporean community wasn't WOWed by the latest offerings by Empire Ears .

Please do not shoot the messenger . I am merely stating the whispers and coffee banter amongst my fellow local audiophiles . Maybe like I've mentioned; we have tons of other brands and manufacturers to choose from so we are probably more critical and do not bite on hype .

Oh and btw, when someone keeps talking about him being from a 2 - channel audio background and his whatever AYRE amp/dac which totally blows the Chords and the Schiit out of the water and that his IEM keeps on scaling and scaling like there arent any more scales on a fish in each of his every other post ; IT'S DOWNRIGHT shilling and hype . Which definitely doesn't help in viewing this thread as nothing more than a hyped up train .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back