Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 7, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #12,466 of 40,591
Hi, Been reading through this, the DX200 and Hugo 2 thread (ok a little Hiby R6 in there too) as of late and thought I'd toss this buying advice question to any of you in these threads that might've heard all four of these products and enjoy, umm..."problem solving"

After much whittling down I have the option to purchase either: DX200 w/Amp4 and Phantom ciem for $3500CAD or Hugo 2 w/ESR or similar neutral $1k ciem for $3700CAD. Hugo would be ran by Macbook Pro via Silflex optical (sounded better than AQ Cinnamon USB w/2x Jitterbug, SOTM or Sonore clearly would be better though)

Just had the opportunity with the DX200 to compare Tidal streaming to Offline mode to MicroSD and as much as I hoped not, MicroSD was clearly superior to either Tidal mode. Dammit. Offline was OK but I found Tidal streaming unlistenable (word?) after comparing the same track to MicroSD. Listening was with MD K10. I don't get the same obvious disparity in quality between Tidal and stored files when using Audirvana+ with my AQ DFR. Maybe Tidal on the Hugo 2 won't be such a compromise?

Does anyone know if the delta between the two ciem's is larger than between DX200/Hugo 2 or vice versa? Lol, Nope. Probably not hahahaha. Would be wonderful though! I'll have the chance to compare Bravado, Phantom and LX in a month or so when the dealer here in Toronto finally gets demos in but that's all he's bringing in!!! Surprised you can even be dealer without carrying the full lineup or at least, say like 5 lol, but whatever.

Just in case any of you rightfully ask, my preference is for a reference type of tuning. The only ear/headphone I haven't sold over the years are my ER4S lol, so yes, I can appreciate even the extremes....they are great for listening to podcasts on my commute though. That sweet, sweet isolation.

I do however come from high-end 2ch so imaging and realism are #1. Last headphones were Utopia's driven by CMA800R (SDR HD800's before hence the Questyle), so I'd really like to keep that you-are-there feeling I got with the Ute's. Is that even possible with ciem's lol? I had one pair of ciem's years ago, JH13FP, but hopefully they weren't the barometer for how ciems should be judged because they didn't touch the enjoyment I got from the Audeze's, HiFiMan's and HD800's back then.

Any advise would be very much appreciated

There are many DAC/amp options in this roughly 2k price range. Yes, I like the Codex best, but there are plenty of others either new or used that many in this community aren't familiar with. Just like the 2 channel community would have no idea that they could even get a CIEM. Feel free to PM me if you are open to finding out about other DAC/amps. My friend own's the Hugo 2 and loves it. I've really enjoyed it when I have listened to it, but just like the overall sound of the Codex best when it's run in balanced mode. It's always a personal preference as we all hear differently.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #12,467 of 40,591
Pardon if I ruffled any new or current owners of EE products . I'm sorry but not sorry if you guys are butt hurt that the majority of the Singaporean community wasn't WOWed by the latest offerings by Empire Ears .

Please do not shoot the messenger . I am merely stating the whispers and coffee banter amongst my fellow local audiophiles . Maybe like I've mentioned; we have tons of other brands and manufacturers to choose from so we are probably more critical and do not bite on hype .

Oh and btw, when someone keeps talking about him being from a 2 - channel audio background and his whatever AYRE amp/dac which totally blows the Chords and the Schiit out of the water and that his IEM keeps on scaling and scaling like there arent any more scales on a fish in each of his every other post ; IT'S DOWNRIGHT shilling and hype . Which definitely doesn't help in viewing this thread as nothing more than a hyped up train .

I go by either ctsooner or Pete. On most other boards, when someone wants to attack a poster, they will normally just call them out which is what an adult would do. Would be nice to call me out by name wouldn't it? Pretty negative and immature post by you to attack someone's personal thoughts on equipment, because you are trying to start something or because you listen to coffee shop talk. I listen to my ears and not coffee shop hype. You have no clue of who I am or what my true background in audio is so I kind of laugh at your negative post. There are many here who DO know who I am and that's fine by me.

You lost any credibility to most when you call out someone's personal thoughts on what they are hearing and what they are using. I know what I hear. It's personal to everyone. I need a reference IEM and that's why I didn't go with the X. I also don't like harsh sounding IEM's so it's why I didn't enjoy many of the other IEM's that I auditioned before purchase. Question for you if you, have you ever heard my DAC? (btw, please show me the post where I used the words "totally blows the Chords and the Schiit out of the water". If so, that's not fair as they all sound different and it's always a personal choice and I'm sorry IF I ever said that. The irony is that I just wrote back (before even reading your mean spirited post) to someone I'm PM'ing with that he needs to go audition the Hugo 2, Codex and a coupe of other DAC/amps in that 2k or so range.

As for scaling, please read above, because if you have't heard a BROKEN IN PAIR of Phantom's on an AYRE QX5, then you can't make any comments about whether is scales or not since your own ears haven't heard it. That's just common sense and no amount of coffee shop banter can change that. I personally stay away from reviews and 'hype' as you call it. I listen to my own ears as should ever other person in audio (this my only my personal opinion), but it's nice to read what the reviews have to say IF you know how they listen. That just whittles down the list. It find it ironic that you come onto an EE thread that is discussing their new line, as well as their original line of IEM's and say what you have.

Do you feel better by telling us all that some coffee drinkers in Singapore aren't impressed with what we are loving and enjoying? I hope so. Funny as you are the first 'messenger that does' want to be shot' who has posted such a negative post on any of the boards that I've come across on this great site as well a few other sites. I've been blessed to meet some really nice folks in this, new to me, community and it's awesome.

I type all of this as I listen to Simon and Garfunkel, because one of the posters on the last page or so mentioned it and it's been awhile. To me that's even more important than how GREAT I feel the new Phantom's are when broken in and playing on my Ayre QX5. I'd ask for another cup of coffee right now, but I don't drink coffee. I do however play barista for my wife every morning as she loves her skinny cappuccino, bone dry, no sugar. I have so many friend who are from Singapore and you maybe the first or one of the first who are so rude. Congrats.

I'll wait on your snarky answers. Should be highly entertaining as my Phantom's scales to highs unknown. BTW, you are going to be really upset with my posts in the coming weeks if my new DAC/Amp/Streamer The Memory Player is as good with IEM's as it is with 2 channel. Best streamer I've ever heard and Sam sells a TON Of them in Singapore. Probably not to any of your coffee shop buddies who may or may not have even heard a fully broken in EE IEM. :). Pete

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #12,473 of 40,591
Stop exaggerating.

1.gif

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #12,476 of 40,591
Pardon if I ruffled any new or current owners of EE products . I'm sorry but not sorry if you guys are butt hurt that the majority of the Singaporean community wasn't WOWed by the latest offerings by Empire Ears .

Please do not shoot the messenger . I am merely stating the whispers and coffee banter amongst my fellow local audiophiles . Maybe like I've mentioned; we have tons of other brands and manufacturers to choose from so we are probably more critical and do not bite on hype .

Oh and btw, when someone keeps talking about him being from a 2 - channel audio background and his whatever AYRE amp/dac which totally blows the Chords and the Schiit out of the water and that his IEM keeps on scaling and scaling like there arent any more scales on a fish in each of his every other post ; IT'S DOWNRIGHT shilling and hype . Which definitely doesn't help in viewing this thread as nothing more than a hyped up train .
I applaud your voice. It's contrasting views of IEMs that will give casual users and visitors more information of a product. It's always better to listen to two sides of a story. I haven't heard anything other than Legend X out of the new EE IEMs, so I won't comment on the others until I've heard them. Singapore is in an envious position where nearly everything (except SE5U lol) can be sampled before they are bought.

What I will add is, it's much easier to be enthused and moved to write about something you like, rather than expend energy writing about something you don't. A few threads I've subscribed to, the one dissenting voice is subjected to a thorough interrogation, when it's really just one guy voicing out an opinion (except trolls, nobody likes them). It happens from budget-fi (Havi B3) to TOTL (AKG N5005). They don't owe anyone an explanation, they certainly don't deserve a dressing down, but it happens in HF. I like to read up all I can about a product, good and bad, and avoid those resorting to personal attacks. Good companies like EE would lend an ear to all feedback, not just the positive ones, otherwise how would they improve if they are lulled into a sense of can't-do-wrong? I think the Legend X was born out of people calling out for a "Zeus with bass", and ta-da!

I don't know Pete from CT personally, but he's battling an illness and living life to the fullest however he can. I appreciate and applaud that too. He writes and gushes over the Phantom like I would gush to my friends about a new girlfriend. He's just that compelled to write bcos he loves what he's hearing, and it's the honeymoon period. Conversely if I don't like something I'd just keep it to one post, otherwise it'd just be exhausting writing on and on about piss-poor stuff. So what this thread needs is more feedback and counterpoints. If you don't like what he writes, hey we'll just look for an Ayre thread and read how other users feel it sucks lol.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #12,477 of 40,591
A few threads I've subscribed to, the one dissenting voice is subjected to a thorough interrogation, when it's really just one guy voicing out an opinion (except trolls, nobody likes them).

I think this is the main root of the problem (in this subforum, moreso) for a long time. Ten guys can gush over a product and no one bats an eyelid, but the moment someone leaves a less-than-satisfactory review? Bombardments about source, cables, tips, temperature, diet, genetic makeup, whatever that can explain how anyone could possibly not like their baby... I remember recently writing a slightly negative review of an IEM, there was a fan who said he didn't agree with my findings, which is all fine and good. Another review pops up, echoing my analysis almost exactly except packaged with nicer words and a more positive vibe. The same fan agreed with everything that review said despite that. I'll admit I was a little taken back at that comment.

Well, what I'm trying to say is not to devolve product threads into incessant circlejerks, I guess. Reading about how great product XYZ is for the fifth time in an hour makes me want to unsubscribe rather than contribute.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #12,478 of 40,591
Out of curiosity I picked up a pair of Spartans (Adel + mam) some time ago from the classifieds. When I did, I was almost certain that I would sell them within some weeks/months. But once I got them, I thought they sounded so great, that I just coudn't say goodbye to them anymore and they still have their (well deserved) place in my (c)iem listening rotation :ksc75smile:
LOL, that was mine. :D How is it now? Glad someone is enjoying it. I felt bad for not using it often enough after getting the Zeus. But then another Zeus owner came and get it. Ha ha.

The Spartan, and ESR are both great at what they do. Both neutral, although the ESR I felt was a bit flatter.
By the way now that you've mentioned it, I may need to try the Phantom with a brighter source someday. Sounds like a good idea. :thumbsup:

Speaking of LX, I just wished it would be named the Poseidon. Because it would be a nice partner-name to the previous flagship, Zeus. Plus it has a deep bass, like the sea. The lightning-clear Zeus, and the deep-bass Poseidon. :) Amusing.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #12,479 of 40,591
I go by either ctsooner or Pete. On most other boards, when someone wants to attack a poster, they will normally just call them out which is what an adult would do. Would be nice to call me out by name wouldn't it? Pretty negative and immature post by you to attack someone's personal thoughts on equipment, because you are trying to start something or because you listen to coffee shop talk. I listen to my ears and not coffee shop hype. You have no clue of who I am or what my true background in audio is so I kind of laugh at your negative post. There are many here who DO know who I am and that's fine by me.

You lost any credibility to most when you call out someone's personal thoughts on what they are hearing and what they are using. I know what I hear. It's personal to everyone. I need a reference IEM and that's why I didn't go with the X. I also don't like harsh sounding IEM's so it's why I didn't enjoy many of the other IEM's that I auditioned before purchase. Question for you if you, have you ever heard my DAC? (btw, please show me the post where I used the words "totally blows the Chords and the Schiit out of the water". If so, that's not fair as they all sound different and it's always a personal choice and I'm sorry IF I ever said that. The irony is that I just wrote back (before even reading your mean spirited post) to someone I'm PM'ing with that he needs to go audition the Hugo 2, Codex and a coupe of other DAC/amps in that 2k or so range.

As for scaling, please read above, because if you have't heard a BROKEN IN PAIR of Phantom's on an AYRE QX5, then you can't make any comments about whether is scales or not since your own ears haven't heard it. That's just common sense and no amount of coffee shop banter can change that. I personally stay away from reviews and 'hype' as you call it. I listen to my own ears as should ever other person in audio (this my only my personal opinion), but it's nice to read what the reviews have to say IF you know how they listen. That just whittles down the list. It find it ironic that you come onto an EE thread that is discussing their new line, as well as their original line of IEM's and say what you have.

Do you feel better by telling us all that some coffee drinkers in Singapore aren't impressed with what we are loving and enjoying? I hope so. Funny as you are the first 'messenger that does' want to be shot' who has posted such a negative post on any of the boards that I've come across on this great site as well a few other sites. I've been blessed to meet some really nice folks in this, new to me, community and it's awesome.

I type all of this as I listen to Simon and Garfunkel, because one of the posters on the last page or so mentioned it and it's been awhile. To me that's even more important than how GREAT I feel the new Phantom's are when broken in and playing on my Ayre QX5. I'd ask for another cup of coffee right now, but I don't drink coffee. I do however play barista for my wife every morning as she loves her skinny cappuccino, bone dry, no sugar. I have so many friend who are from Singapore and you maybe the first or one of the first who are so rude. Congrats.

I'll wait on your snarky answers. Should be highly entertaining as my Phantom's scales to highs unknown. BTW, you are going to be really upset with my posts in the coming weeks if my new DAC/Amp/Streamer The Memory Player is as good with IEM's as it is with 2 channel. Best streamer I've ever heard and Sam sells a TON Of them in Singapore. Probably not to any of your coffee shop buddies who may or may not have even heard a fully broken in EE IEM. :). Pete

hey Pete , please send me your address to send you over the mic charge

you dropped it so hard it broke and we had to order a new one :cop:

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #12,480 of 40,591
I cannot but agree with you wholeheartedly on this @Rei87 ...

The over positive impressions here on this particular thread is a huge contrast to the Singapore Canjam Impressions thread where EE 's latest line-up was barely mentioned. Even the Pola electret IEM garnered more interest ...

I do not know if you have heard but this latest line up of Empire Ears wasn't really well received amongst the Singaporean community. Probably it's because that we are spoilt with a good handful of stores where we can TRY extensively rather than blind purchasing based on over positive reviews/posts/impressions or hype.

Seems like quite the blanket statement here. Nothing but positive vibes and feedback from when I was there for the 3 Empire events that our good friends over at Euphoria and Zeppelin hosted months prior to CanJam SG. I'm humbled to have enough fans to keep me coming back this often. Love Singapore and all of our clientele there!

(If it's any consolation our current SG distributor, in 2 months, exceeded what our previous dealer did in a year and a half.)

IMG_8317.JPG
IMG_8395.JPG

IMG_8418.JPG
IMG_8399.jpg

(Excuse my big head)

I don't know Pete from CT personally, but he's battling an illness and living life to the fullest however he can. I appreciate and applaud that too. He writes and gushes over the Phantom like I would gush to my friends about a new girlfriend. He's just that compelled to write bcos he loves what he's hearing, and it's the honeymoon period. Conversely if I don't like something I'd just keep it to one post, otherwise it'd just be exhausting writing on and on about piss-poor stuff. So what this thread needs is more feedback and counterpoints. If you don't like what he writes, hey we'll just look for an Ayre thread and read how other users feel it sucks lol.

I'm thankful for every single fan and client we have and I always encourage feedback, negative or positive, to ensure that viewers have a fuller understanding of what they may be getting into. The tours will be starting soon so that more folks can give their input. Thanks for being patient everyone.

Love yah Pete!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back