Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 4, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,745 of 40,565
Spent this weekend moving, so I didn't get any opportunity to listen to music. I never thought I'd be happy to return to work, but it's amazing to revisit the Zeus-R with a "clean slate" after 5 days of no music. I'm playing Pinback's "Information Retrieved" album, and it's an absolute delight to my ears. I'm still struck by the improved level of detail and space with the ZR. On a well-mastered album like this one I love just sinking into the music while at the office.

May 4, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #1,746 of 40,565
My Zeus should be with them for the upgrade. Only had a week or two with them before they departed. 

Not much to add that hasn't been already said in regards to the sound, but for me, they are one of two headphones that had an immediate "Wow" effect (the other being the HD800S). The Zeus had a much more "full" sound than my other IEMs, especially the treble region. It's also the first one where I have a more consistent feeling of sound-stage. No hiss on my Cowon P1 and Acoustic Research AR-M2.

Looking forward to the Zeus-R, and possibly other models come August 
XEGBe6_RDp92U1hoi37I9Hf8VqZeBoSABrzDctaC1t4D7jqchdkhwpCxSkrQiCSDVXjjjIFI68PySh2EqxYbFTALrkBkJxjddO8=s0-d-e1-ft

May 4, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #1,747 of 40,565
  The Zeus had a much more "full" sound than my other IEMs, especially the treble region. 

Totally agree. The treble is natural and realistic, especially with cymbals. I have never heard another balanced armature-based IEM that did treble in an "correct" fashion with the exception of the Sony Z5, strangely. I think it's the biggest weakness of most BA IEMs when compared to full-size cans. I'm not sure if it's a tuning thing, but it seems that balanced armatures can easily veer into hashy or splashy territory where a cymbal crash sounds indistinct to the point where it's just high-frequency noise. It was my biggest bone to pick with the Noble K10U aluminum I owned, and bothered me to the point that I sold them after ordering my Zeus. 

May 4, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #1,748 of 40,565
Totally agree. The treble is natural and realistic, especially with cymbals. I have never heard another balanced armature-based IEM that did treble in an "correct" fashion with the exception of the Sony Z5, strangely. I think it's the biggest weakness of most BA IEMs when compared to full-size cans. I'm not sure if it's a tuning thing, but it seems that balanced armatures can easily veer into hashy or splashy territory where a cymbal crash sounds indistinct to the point where it's just high-frequency noise. It was my biggest bone to pick with the Noble K10U aluminum I owned, and bothered me to the point that I sold them after ordering my Zeus. 

You have listened to and owned two of the best iems in the world? $$$$$

May 4, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #1,749 of 40,565
  Not much to add that hasn't been already said in regards to the sound, but for me, they are one of two headphones that had an immediate "Wow" effect (the other being the HD800S). The Zeus had a much more "full" sound than my other IEMs, especially the treble region. It's also the first one where I have a more consistent feeling of sound-stage. No hiss on my Cowon P1 and Acoustic Research AR-M2.

I agree about your "Wow". I tell my friends who are interested in CIEMs that even if they find they do not personally like the sound signature of the Zeus after auditioning it, they should still keep an open mind and audition it in the first place.

Confession: I don't own the Zeus (at the moment?), but hey it's really the most unforgettable IEM I auditioned thus far.

May 4, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #1,750 of 40,565
You have listened to and owned two of the best iems in the world? $$$$$

Well, I sold one, so the K10U basically funded the Zeus. 
wink.gif

Luckily I don't have kids and my girlfriend understands or at least is tolerant of the fact that audio is my biggest hobby.

May 5, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #1,752 of 40,565
missed FedEx delivery yesterday, but I'm damn impressed by how fast it was. 46h ! Today's a religious holiday so I'll go get my baby Zeus-R tomorrow :p

May 5, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #1,754 of 40,565
You are correct but the Zeus R is the only one they are shipping for new orders.

I just got my pics to approve the shells and it's a go, I def can't wait to hear how the R has changed from the original I demoed at Axpona.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back