1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)

First

Back
106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115
117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126
Next

Last
  1. esm87
    Just curious, do you do like paid demo units of your IEM's? Example... I can pay x amount to loan a zeus model for 14 days? Or something similar?

2. Jack Vang

We do! Please PM me if interested =D

Empire Ears Stay updated on Empire Ears at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/EmpireEars https://twitter.com/EmpireEars https://www.instagram.com/empireears/ http://www.empireears.com/
  3. Watagump
    I can get paid to demo for you? [​IMG]

resized_business-cat-meme-generator-sign-me-up-right-meow-4a528b.jpg

4. esm87
    some seriously generous people about lol

5. Jack Vang
    Anyone a Great White fan? Lead singer, Terry Ilous, reached out to us and said that they needed the voice of Zeus in their ears! So we're flying back out to Chicago this Saturday to hook them up with Empire's finest! (How's that for customer service? :p)

Autographs for anyone that wants one!

image.jpg

Shoutout to Shoutgunshane for introducing me to his awesome rock collection!

EDIT:

Skid Row now too!!

https://www.facebook.com/EmpireEars https://twitter.com/EmpireEars https://www.instagram.com/empireears/ http://www.empireears.com/
    shotgunshane likes this.
  6. Watagump

I have a few old school rock ballads in my fav list.

GNR: Estranged
    Poison: Every Rose Has Its Thorn

7. Jack Vang

I see you got great taste too my man! Stoked for the upcoming GNR tour!

8. Spamateur

I have to admit that there is a lot of Scorpions in my FLAC collection...

9. boblauer
    Metal/Hard Rock fan here would love a Sebastian Bach autograph. Got quite a few in my collection. Glad you guys are branching out into many other genre's with artist's. that only spells good things for you as a whole.    

10. Cagin
    My Zeus-R is getting shipped out
    [​IMG]

I'm the landlady that's gonna stalk its tracking the whole way muhahahaha

11. SomeWiseGuy

Music Sanctuary is in the process of moving their office/shop.
    Still can't send my Zeus in...

kirk2.gif

extreme_face.gif

12. Dellwolf
    Empire Ears Olympus Lineup Review

To start off this review I have to thank Jack Vang of Empire Ears for giving me this opportunity and @Army-Firedawg for sending the full universal line up after he was done with his own comparative review. I don't believe that 4 weeks is long enough to fully test and evaluate 7 IEMs but I feel like I can at least help point you towards the one that is best for you.

I understand that many people will look at the prices of these products and be in shock, when I first became interested in high end audio I was the same way. But the way I think about it now is, if I'm going to be using an item so frequently and for hours at a time, why not spend more to truly get the most out of the music I'm listening to.

All of my listening was done using them straight out of my LG G3 (Verizon variant), amazingly there was almost no hiss at all. EXCEPT whenever I was charging my phone while listening or when cell signal drops to 3G from 4G LTE. On WIFI and 4G LTE it is nearly interference free. I used a UE buffer jack whenever I experienced any interference and it fixed it. SoundCloud was my primary source for my music, I used Spotify for a few songs, and I truly don't have very much downloaded music. I do have a portable DAC/Amp which I've had for close to a year, a Topping NX2, but the noise floor is considerably louder when using it (and listening with the Supra exposed a flaw in the amp itself), with or without the UE buffer jack. Most of you with FLAC files are probably cringing right now.

0430161821a.jpg

0430162124.jpg

The Cable:
    I only received the standard black and standard clear cables not the BTG Audio Starlight so I can't vouch for those. The cables look amazing with the quad twist braid, I prefer the clear variant. The cables are made of silver plated copper wire. They don't have a bulky y-splitter like how most IEMs do(i.e. my Brainwavz S5), which is great. Every model in the Empire Ears line up uses the industry standard two pin connector. The cables have a right angle 3.5mm plug. They have nearly zero memory to them and aren't stiff in any way. They are clearly marked Right and Left with red and white dots respectively and the inner side of the shell is marked with the Model, serial #, and R or L. My only complaint is that they tangle no matter how you store them, but I believe this is mainly because of the memory wire being shaped like a hook (these are the first headphones I've used that have a memory wire so I'm not sure if this is the case with all IEMs that use them). Overall the cable is extremely high quality.

0430162127.jpg

0430162128.jpg

0430162130.jpg

0430162133.jpg

0430162134.jpg
    0430162142.jpg

0430162233.jpg

0430162234.jpg

Comfort/ Ear tips:
    I have always used Comply memory foam tips since the first time I ever tried them, and the Spin Fit silicon tips are the best non Comply tips I have ever used, but I stuck with my favorite medium Comply tips(with a few exceptions I used the large). If you aren't used to things going very deep in your ears, you might feel like you are going to touch your brain. Isolation is amazing, but I can see it being dangerous in certain situations. 

*All prices are base price.

Supra-II: $429
    The Supra is the only model that was brought over from the old line up when Empire Ears was still Earwerkz, and I'm glad they kept it. It has this amazing clarity and balance to its sound signature, that is hard to explain, the Supra was the first one I tried out when I received them in the mail and I immediately noticed that there was something wrong with my NX2, The crosstalk was so high at certain frequencies that there was almost no stereo separation. The imaging is the best I have heard in an IEM at this price point. If you are looking at making your first steps into CIEMs or your budget is limited the Supra should be one of your top contenders.
    TECHNICAL SPECS
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: 112 dB @ 1mW
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 40 Hz – 18 k
    IMPEDANCE: 23 Ohms @ 1 kHz
    NOISE ISOLATION: -28 dB +/- 2
    INPUT CONNECTOR: 1/8" (3.5 mm) stereo jack
    WARRANTY: 1-year
    DRIVER SET UP: low, high
    CABLE: Detachable, over-the-ear positon
    INTERNAL SPEAKER CONFIGURATION: 2 balance armature driver, 1 crossover 2-way, 1 sound bore

Cerberus-III: $649
    FUN. I could just end it there but it deserves more explanation. This one appeals to the Beats crowd, it has the most bass out of all of them, but it isn't bloated or muddy. The bass is punchy, hard hitting and reaches deep. Female vocals aren't quite as forward as I'd like them to be but are still very clear, excels with male vocals because of the higher emphasis on bass. The treble has good extension but is slightly rolled off at the very top end, I never experienced any sibilance. I'm not sure as to why but I had to use the large Comply tips to get a good seal with these and the Spartan.
    TECHNICAL SPECS
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: 114 dB @ 1mW
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 40 Hz – 18 kHz
    IMPEDANCE: 15 Ohms @ 1 kHz
    DRIVER SET UP: low, mid, high
    CABLE: Detachable, over-the-ear position
    INTERNAL SPEAKER CONFIGURATION: 3 balance armature driver, 2 crossover network 3-way, 3 sound bore

Spartan-IV: $749
    The Spartan is very similar to the Athena, but it lacks the ridiculous clarity of the Athena. It is still very clean and natural sounding but, its imaging isn't as good as the Athena. It has just slightly more emphasis to the sub bass, but is hard to notice if you are in loud environments. All of that probably sounds like criticism but if I didn't have enough money to get the Athena, the Spartan is my first choice.
    TECHNICAL SPECS
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: 112 dB @ 1mW
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 40 Hz - 20 kHz
    IMPEDANCE: 20 Ohms @ 1 kHz
    DRIVER SET UP: low, 2 mid, high
    INTERNAL SPEAKER CONFIGURATION: 4 balance armature driver, 3 crossover network 4-way, 3 sound bore

Hermes-VI: $1099
    The Hermes is quick, I couldn't find a single song that it couldn't handle, and it recovers quickly from heavy, complicated bass drops. However its bass doesn't reach as deep as the Spartan, Cerberus, or Athena. There is so much texture to the voices of male voices and clarity in female vocals.  I'm not quite sure why but the Hermes' overall sound signature just isn't to my taste, but you might love the way it sounds.
    TECHNICAL SPECS
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: 118 dB @ 1mW
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 40 Hz - 20 kHz
    IMPEDANCE: 17 Ohms @ 1 kHz
    DRIVER SET UP: 2 low, 2 mid, 2 high
    INTERNAL SPEAKER CONFIGURATION: 6 balance armature driver, 2 crossover network 3-way, 3 sound bore

Athena-VIII: $1299
    You feel like you are there, in the room with the vocalist. Guitars are real and natural. I believe the Athena has the best clarity out of the entire line up. Imaging is perfect. Female vocals get just to the very point before becoming sibilant. Bass is amazingly strong and punchy, not as heavy as the Cerberus but reaches so deep that you feel it more than you hear it. Everything is amazingly detailed and textured. The Athena is my favorite from the lineup because of how clean and natural it sounds. If you can't afford the Athena, I would recommend the Spartan as a cheaper alternative, but if you are wanting to get CIEM's as your "endgame" saving up the money to get the model you truly like the most will give you the most satisfaction.
    TECHNICAL SPECS
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: 118 dB @ 1mW
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
    IMPEDANCE: 15 Ohms @ 1 kHz
    DRIVER SET UP: 2 low, 3 mid, 3 high
    INTERNAL SPEAKER CONFIGURATION: 8 balance armature driver, 4 crossover network 5-way, 3 sound bore

Apollo-X: $1599
    By far the most neutral of the line up, I believe the Apollo would work best in monitoring applications. It reveals everything in music whether or not you want it to. The imaging is amazing but it seems to be slightly closer and more closed in and studio like, which would be great for things like mastering. It has clarity and balance across the entire sound signature.
    TECHNICAL SPECS
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: 119 dB @ 1mW
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
    IMPEDANCE: 17 Ohms @ 1 kHz
    DRIVER SET UP: 2 low, 4 mid, 4 high
    INTERNAL SPEAKER CONFIGURATION: 10 balance armature driver, 4 crossover network 5-way, 3 sound bore

Zeus-XIV: $2099
    Smooth, Rich and Powerful. Pretty much sums it up, but it would be very lazy of me if I stopped there. It is an experience to listen to the Zeus, I never skipped a single song when I had SoundCloud on shuffle in my likes, and it was like rehearing every song for the first time in a new light. Imaging and instrument separation is perfect. Small minute details are revealed, lows are rich. It just sounds powerful, not meaning loud, but full sounding. The Zeus does have one problem, the mids have this emphasis which many owners of the Zeus describe it as a "bloom" and it clouds its overall clarity, which is why I prefer the Athena. (The new revision of the Zeus, the Zeus-R is supposed to fix this problem and further improve the imaging.) The Zeus is one of the best, if not the best IEM’s on the market to date.

The Zeus is pure shock and awe to the gas station earbud people at my school, the reactions people have when they first hit the play button says it all, but of course they have to ask the question that kills all hope and dreams, "How much do these cost?", you answer and their eyes get huge and they now know why you told them to sit down first. This is just a couple things people said after trying the Zeus (before I told them the price): "Perfect", "How can something sound so good?", "Godly", "What is Life?", "I need these in my life.", "I feel bad for deaf people.", "Where can I buy them?", "I never heard ______ before in this song."
    TECHNICAL SPECS
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE: TBA
    IMPEDANCE: TBA
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: TBA
    NOISE ISOLATION: TBA
    INPUT CONNECTOR: 1/8" (3.5 mm) Gold Plated Jack
    SPEAKER CONFIGURATION: TBA

Overview:
    The entire Olympus line is quality and clarity is amazing throughout. Empire Ears’ customer service is great and personal. As far as I know Empire has the broadest price range from the $430 Supra to the $2100 Zeus.

(From left to right: Supra, Cerberus, Spartan, Hermes, Athena, Apollo, Zeus)
    0430162152.jpg

0430162207.jpg

0430162212.jpg

If anyone has any questions or finds that I have misspelled something please let me know, this is the first review I have ever written for a product and I hope you find it helpful.

13. esm87
    athena and zeus got me clucking to buy! I have the vinro Aria waiting on delivery which is meant to be awesome, really cant wait to hear high end IEM's!

Dellwolf likes this.
  14. esm87
    Vibro labs*

15. Dellwolf
    I'm listening to the Zeus during a thunderstorm.:joy:

First

Back
106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115
117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126
Next

Last